Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
I in part agree with you in that as the owner, he should have been asking the Chairman and Board, who in my view share in the 'book stopping' responsibility, to produce a viable business plan which would develop the business. It is clear that as owner, he has interfered in day to day decisions when he should have been replacing the members of the Board who have been incompetent. It is for that reason I contend that a lot of responsibility for our current mess rests with the Board. If Moshiri was overstepping his roll then they should have challenged him and made it clear they were being prevented from doing their job.
Sadly, I believe that their abject incompetence lies at the heart of our current demise, they being so poor, they did not know what their job was or how to do it.

We have spent the past 20 years or more fighting fires with very little improvement.
Was never going to happen as we have something like the 4th highest paid board of directors so expecting them to speak out against the owner is hopeless. Also they are so terrified he will pull the plug on the stadium that Bill would not dream of confronting Moshiri, he would rather just sit there going on about how wonderful a job everyone is doing.

I think @ForeverBlue92 has some valid points here. The reality isn't as black and white as everyone is trying to make out.

Everton's fans ambition is above that of Brighton and Palace. We don't give managers or players time. It's very easy on the internet to say we should follow those clubs strategy but I'm not sure when it comes down to it, we would be so accommodating.

In defence of Moshiri he has backed everyone he has brought into the club. Rightly or wrongly. He has ploughed money after money into the club to try and get it right. Unfortunately the people he has hired have failed him.

He has tried to increase commercial deals by calling in favours etc. He has personally funded the start of the stadium build.

However, he is also at fault, he should have hired better people and he shouldn't be going off trying to sort his own transfers etc.

There is no single person at fault for the mess we are in. However, as the owner, the book does stop with him.

Thats the crux of it for me. Newcastle fans bleated on about how they wanted Ashley out and would happily take any one when the reality was they always wanted a Man City type buyout as their fans believe they are a sleeping giant.

Evertonians are very similiar and for many in the fanbase unlike Newcastle they have seen the club win league titles and trophies.

Sadly there is only a very small pool of buyers out there who would have the means to satisfy the fans ambitions and a good chunk of those will be Russian Oligarchs who'll not be buying into English football clubs for a while for obvious reasons meaning an already small pool is currently much smaller due to political reasons.

Some will say "anyone but Moshiri" which is easy to say now - but fast forward a US consortium buying us in a leveraged buyout for £350 million leaving us in debt to the banks would fans be happy with that? Or a Mike Ashley turning Goodison Park into the Sports Direct Arena? Or a Southampton owner who happily see's their manager lose 9-0 on two seperate occasions, spends bare minimum and happily has us in mid table most seasons - will Evertonians be happy with that?

Until a buyer comes forward with the means to push us on and unite the fanbase then its better the devil you know for me.

I agree, but the pool of owners who would satisfy this fanbase is very low.

Shiekh Mansour
QIA (PSG)
Leicesters owners
Roman Abramovich

Those 4 aside we wouldn't be happy with anyone else.

Clubs like Brighton look to be improving but they bobble up and down as does every club outside of the scab 6.

Leeds finished top half last season with fans raving over Bielsa - 12 months on Biesla is sacked and they are 16th.

Palace are having a good season but are currently lower in the table than Everton were last season in which our fans weren't happy with 10th.

Sheffield Utd - top half one season relegated the next.

The money we have spent we shouldn't be in this position and thats not all on Moshiri far from it. And if he does sell up who's coming in realistically thats going to have us challenging for the top 7 + trophies whilst backing the manager with good levels of funds and being a genius in terms of running the club?

For me its a very unlikely pipe dream that we'll get all the above and be happy. Much more likely statistically to be taken over by another Moshiri/Lerner/Short type, a Lewis/Ashley/Green shady British owner type or a Glazer/Kroenke/Burnley US leveraged buy out Type.
Because they’re the only 4 owners ever in world football

All that’s needed is someone with money, who’ll appoint people with a clue about the game and no yes men, will leave football matters to said people without interference and who’ll actually think before wildly agreeing to write a check for overpriced players

Was never going to happen as we have something like the 4th highest paid board of directors so expecting them to speak out against the owner is hopeless. Also they are so terrified he will pull the plug on the stadium that Bill would not dream of confronting Moshiri, he would rather just sit there going on about how wonderful a job everyone is doing.
Yes, I agree with you and that is one of the reasons why I said they were/are incompetent. In an ideal world Moshiri should have realised this and acted accordingly. The development of the club should have take precedent over self interest for Kenwright and co.

I think we are both making similar statements with me trying to state how things should have been.

Because they’re the only 4 owners ever in world football

All that’s needed is someone with money, who’ll appoint people with a clue about the game and no yes men, will leave football matters to said people without interference and who’ll actually think before wildly agreeing to write a check for overpriced players

And who/where are these owners/clubs in England?

Because outside of Leicester I've yet to see one of these amazing owners lead their clubs to success/CL football.

In terms of de-facto state ownership, Bahrain is worth keeping an eye on. But in an era of increased public scrutiny, it's just as likely that there may be a move away from such models.

Post World-Cup I can see the Qataris look to sell PSG and not seek to buy elsewhere.

In terms of de-facto state ownership, Bahrain is worth keeping an eye on. But in an era of increased public scrutiny, it's just as likely that there may be a move away from such models.

Post World-Cup I can see the Qataris look to sell PSG and not seek to buy elsewhere.

Kuwait possibly but thats about it since the murdering Saudi regime bought into Newcastle and UAE own Man City / Qatar owns PSG.

There was talk of Qatar buying Leeds as their owner has close links to the Qatari Royals but how that would work who knows.

And who/where are these owners/clubs in England?

Because outside of Leicester I've yet to see one of these amazing owners lead their clubs to success/CL football.
‘Kin ‘ell mate, stop thinking we need instant success to do anything with a new owner, we need a set plan, Moshiri’s has been just throw money at it and hope it sticks and look where that’s ended up.

Season 1 - sort the crap out on and off the field, aim for long runs in cups, add 3/4 bodies

Season 2 - improve on previous season placing, challenge the Euro spots, aim for at least last 4 weeks of cups

Season 3 - squad now at a level to compete, aim is European football either by league place or a cup win

Season 4 - minor additions to go step further, if Europe not achieved or trophy then this is the season to do it

Season 5 - European football regularity, make a push to be title contenders, by this time we’ll have been at BMD for 2 years so commercial revenue should be high

‘Kin ‘ell mate, stop thinking we need instant success to do anything with a new owner, we need a set plan, Moshiri’s has been just throw money at it and hope it sticks and look where that’s ended up.

Season 1 - sort the crap out on and off the field, aim for long runs in cups, add 3/4 bodies

Season 2 - improve on previous season placing, challenge the Euro spots, aim for at least last 4 weeks of cups

Season 3 - squad now at a level to compete, aim is European football either by league place or a cup win

Season 4 - minor additions to go step further, if Europe not achieved or trophy then this is the season to do it

Season 5 - European football regularity, make a push to be title contenders, by this time we’ll have been at BMD for 2 years so commercial revenue should be high

I agree we need a plan but its much easier said than done and your timeline is based on everything going smoothly from perfect transfer windows, a Klopp like success managerial appointment, not losing best players to big clubs and keeping our manager and them not being turned away like Carlo.

Which club outside of Leicester has achieved the above? None because whilst "having a plan" sounds great on paper life doesn't often work that way.

I agree we need a plan but its much easier said than done and your timeline is based on everything going smoothly from perfect transfer windows, a Klopp like success managerial appointment, not losing best players to big clubs and keeping our manager and them not being turned away like Carlo.

Which club outside of Leicester has achieved the above? None because whilst "having a plan" sounds great on paper life doesn't often work that way.
Having a plan is the very first thing that should be done. It should be done long before making any staff appointments or any player signings or doing anything else for that matter. It's not about competing for trophies for us, we are miles away from that and any fan that finds that an issue needs to wake up and smell the coffee imo. We need to just concentrate on building a competitive team and squad that compliment each other and are comfortable playing together and actually want to play for the club. When we have this we can finally push on and start looking at moving up the league and competing for cups and European places. Too many of our fans are looking at stuff with blue tinted spectacles on imo.
As for which other clubs have achieved, well Wolves did pretty well under Nuno and now Bruno, they clearly have a focus on younger players, one of the best youth setups (which helps) and they tend to recruit a lot of Portuguese players. It got them promoted, they have finished mostly top half and qualified for Europe. Moyes clearly has a progressive plan going on at West Ham as they are slowly improving more and more. Its not always about winning stuff.

Chelsea are receiving bids of 2 billion for their ownership.

If you can get it right, you can get it really right as an investor.

Yet investment is only half the story, if you invest it has to be two pronged, playing squad and increasing broad based off the field revenue. One feeds the other and negates the need ongoing investment. You invest initially to add value to the asset, once the value is added the investment feeds itself. City and Chelsea run themselves these days, despite their owners. This is the ultimate goal, if your doing it right.

An Off The Pitch investigation has revealed another company, seemingly with no staff, no active products, barely any assets and whose operating company is registered to a mailbox in London, is a longstanding official partner to Manchester City.

It follows the cancellation last month by City of a partnership with a company called 3Key, after allegations were raised over the legitimacy of the cryptocurrency firm’s operations.

City’s commercial dealings have long come under scrutiny by governing bodies, with City fined €10 million by UEFA in 2020 for failing to cooperate with its Club Financial Control Body.

Wega, which is the name of the company, first signed as City’s “Club’s Official Acoustic Contactless Secured Card Payment partner” in 2015 and extended the deal four years later.

It has been involved in marketing activations with City in the past, but currently offers no products.

The company has also been active in Qatar, where it launched the “eSports World Cup” to run in parallel with this year’s football finals with a purported $15 million prize pot, although detail for the tournament has never materialised and World Cup officials claim no knowledge of it.

Wega’s president, Patrick Moynier, said in a 2019 press statement that Wega was “a Fintech company offering an innovative digital financial platform.”

“Our technology and services will enhance the entire fan experience, and continuously add value with new features and opportunities to get closer to the heart of the club.”

Prepaid credit cards

However, a search of the company’s services reveals that rather than acting as an innovative fintech company, the extent of the company’s products are two pre-paid credit cards, provided under license by Mastercard, and marketed to supporters of Manchester City, and its partner MLS club, New York City. Neither are currently available.

As part of the partnership, in 2019 Wega launched the “Wega City Supporter’s Card.”

We don’t need a cult leader type like Klopp either, just a manager who can make us fluid in attack but keep us somewhat solid defensively

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back