Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
Our destbilisation was due in large part to a fanbase who had turned away from their traditions to adopt a "we've got cash, just the Mosh hire and fire again" mentality.

We have to see that and recognise it as true. The board is rancid and clueles and the owner is weak. That';s the major part of why we are looking into the abyss. But the fans have to look to themselves too...or at least many of them who got on buzz of seeing managers pitchforked and others hired.

I don't necessarily disagree, but the horse has bolted on that and I'm not sure that's relevant to what's happening right now, nor what happened last season either.

Clubs with less entitlement issues than us would probably have acted in a similar vein

This is all nuts. We are going down down down, and my only hope is that we at least can retain some kind of structure that means no matter what league we drop to we have a hope of turning it around again. With the levels of debt and overheads it can all snowball very quickly to the brink from the moment we are confirmed as relegated.

Grim

I don't think any of the sackings were without merit, myself.

The issue has been consistent sub-par and incoherent recruitment since there was money to spend. We've filled squads with very average players on big wages.

We just stopped signing players with so-called technical or basic football ability, for a start. The various teams have individually and collectively looked terrified of the ball for years.

The managers have been hamstrung to various degrees by interference in transfer activity, that seems certain, but it's not the same as saying their sackings were unwarranted. Apart from Allardyce, we were in the midst of a dreadful run of form and results under all of them.
What gets me is that every other Premier League teams can keep possession and can look dangerous. We are incapable, it seems, of doing anything other than soaking up pressure and hoping we get lucky. It doesn't seem to matter who the manager is or what players we buy. Think of how different the first team is now compared with just 5 years ago. Below is our team from the same Saturday 5 years ago. Only Pickford and Gueye started that day and are regular starters today.

1673532041311.webp

And, by the way, after today's latest intervention, there is no way, shape, or form the manager should lose his job between now and relegation. Moshiri has blithely ignored the alarm of the fans and decided that he backs the manager. I totally disagree with his assessment, and I think we'll all live to regret it, but he cannot turn around now and make Lampard a scapegoat in some mad bid to protect his investment when things take a further turn for the worst.

He has, basically, missed the window of opportunity to act. He should be held utterly to account for his judgement now: back the manager to the hilt. And own the consequences, one way or the other.

However, you have to also remember, is that going on from his past statements, what he says to day, can bear no semblance, as to what he`ll actually do in the very near future.

My take on it, is that he was trying to take the sting out of things and has just made things worse - like he usually does.

As far as i can tell, and i might be wrong here, we probably have the biggest turnover of staff and board members out of any club in the league in the last 7 years.

Im not Kenwrights biggest fan by any means, but he is a figureahead at best. DBB gets an enormous amount of flack as well. Are these people somehow responsible for Anthony Gordon missing 2 sitters from 8 yards out against bottom of the league?

Obviously the board aren't responsible for Gordon missing sitters.

They're responsible for us being in this situation where we have to rely on him every week as a result of their disastrous management of our finances and managerial and DOF recruitment.

They're a big part of the reason we are under FFP restrictions because nobody in the club had the sense to tell them to stop wasting money earlier.

If you are trying to absolve them of blame them you're an idiot.

Cmon Dave - every single sacking has been merited, due to performances and results on the pitch. Should Lampard get the bullet, o one could really argue. Let’s not start this blaming the fans for that, and i haven’t spoken to any blue who wanted Benitez to come in.

That's the point isn't it. With the exception of Allardyce, the fans protested because of the team's precarious position. And with each subsequent appointment, the crisis point was at a lower point in the table. Moshiri's role has been to stop the slide, and that's his failure.
This is a fanbase who very happily sat with Moyes as the third-longest reigning manager for the first decade of this century. The suggestion that the fans are impatient and trigger-happy is simply not true - it's a consequence of the slide under Moshiri's ownership.

Exactly. The Allardyce sacking, which was based on some ludicrous notion of "style" that we, as a club, has lacked since S-Express were number one, was the only one where a manager could claim to have been in any way hard done by.

Silva was sinking like a stone, getting smashed 6-2 at home to Spurs and 5-2 at Anfield. We won't mention Millwall.

He's having a good spell now - good luck to him. That doesn't mean he would have been a success here when he patently wasn't.

The biggest mistake Moshiri made wasn't sacking somebody. It was in not sacking somebody - Bill Kenwright.
Even BFS ruined his chance with us when he refused to change his style and tactics as we were safe - had he done that I think the fans would have been willing to given him longer, but he had already achieved his limited remit and tbh I hated every second he was here.

You’re bang on with everything else, especially moshiri not moving kenwright and co on when the takeover was complete, and installing hard nosed professional football buinessmen and women to transform the club properly.

For anyone to validate this “fault of the fans” BS is just ludicrous.

That's the point isn't it. With the exception of Allardyce, the fans protested because of the team's precarious position. And with each subsequent appointment, the crisis point was at a lower point in the table. Moshiri's role has been to stop the slide, and that's his failure.
This is a fanbase who very happily sat with Moyes as the third-longest reigning manager for the first decade of this century. The suggestion that the fans are impatient and trigger-happy is simply not true - it's a consequence of the slide under Moshiri's ownership.
Exactly mate, Christ, as a collective we’ve been too passive if anything, accepting mediocrity when we should have been kicking off. Southall called it under Moyes - kenwright and co conned us into thinking 6th was good, and we fell for it, hook line and sinking ship.

The reason this place needs a bomb shelter is because a good percentage of our fans have turned the pitch into no mans land. Make of that what you will but it is true.

Indeed. People should ask themselves ‘am I helping or hindering the team’. The support given at the end of last season was absolutely brilliant and brought out the best in the players, todays negativity and ‘protests’ will undoubtedly have the opposite effect……

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back