Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
Come out fighting? It was the most cowardly statement the man could have made.

It wasn't cowardly Goat, with that and his interview he is sticking is neck right out of the parapet. It was the most stupidly statement the man could have made though.

Unless he deliberately wanted to draw fire away from the people that run the club.

It wasn't cowardly Goat, with that and his interview he is sticking is neck right out of the parapet. It was the most stupidly statement the man could have made though.

Unless he deliberately wanted to draw fire away from the people that run the club.
He put it all on the fans, he's a coward.

I can assure you now, I didn't appoint Benitez.

Subtracting one or two out of 6 is still a lot of managers tried and chased out after a few defeats on the trot. All owners will make mistakes with appointments, that's football. Should we as fans demand to like every appointment made at the club? Not really, that's not how it works and if people think like that, that's partly why we are in a mess.

Everyone should be able to look at themselves and if truthful, agree that we were quick to turn on managers as we perceived that we had spent a lot of money and should be doing better, this over a short time frame will lead to a smaller and smaller pool of available managers who want to take the job. Do you think we'll have a queue of them that will be thinking 'I can't wait to get my hands on this job' after seeing fans trying to push the board out on Saturday? I'm not getting into the fact if it is the right thing to do or not - just the optics of anyone not connected to the club watching it unfold in the the media. If the so called unifying candidate didn't work with Lampard then what chance have they got?

All that means is you'll get people who just don't care because the money is good and if they get the boot early then it's a nice payout and a longer holiday. So is it cowardly if an owner points out that they are in a pickle partly because of the fans? I don't think so, the more cowardly way would be to do what the fans want and sack the board, sack another manager, try and quell the anger for as long as possible so it doesn't get directed at them.

Dan Meis said he never experienced a fan base so engaged with the design of a stadium before and that in a nutshell is us, we want to be involved with everything. It's what makes us special but also makes us very difficult too and we have to recognise that to move forward.

Of course he did, he is a nice fella. Always easy to compliment the loser. All Paul main points were knocked out of the ground, which left Paul scrambling round trying to hold onto the door with Kate Winslet

The consensus is in, Esk won the debate as convincingly as the French police won their battle with the ticketless hooligans.

Subtracting one or two out of 6 is still a lot of managers tried and chased out after a few defeats on the trot. All owners will make mistakes with appointments, that's football. Should we as fans demand to like every appointment made at the club? Not really, that's not how it works and if people think like that, that's partly why we are in a mess.

Everyone should be able to look at themselves and if truthful, agree that we were quick to turn on managers as we perceived that we had spent a lot of money and should be doing better, this over a short time frame will lead to a smaller and smaller pool of available managers who want to take the job. Do you think we'll have a queue of them that will be thinking 'I can't wait to get my hands on this job' after seeing fans trying to push the board out on Saturday? I'm not getting into the fact if it is the right thing to do or not - just the optics of anyone not connected to the club watching it unfold in the the media. If the so called unifying candidate didn't work with Lampard then what chance have they got?

All that means is you'll get people who just don't care because the money is good and if they get the boot early then it's a nice payout and a longer holiday. So is it cowardly if an owner points out that they are in a pickle partly because of the fans? I don't think so, the more cowardly way would be to do what the fans want and sack the board, sack another manager, try and quell the anger for as long as possible so it doesn't get directed at them.

Dan Meis said he never experienced a fan base so engaged with the design of a stadium before and that in a nutshell is us, we want to be involved with everything. It's what makes us special but also makes us very difficult too and we have to recognise that to move forward.
Chased out lol. These managers were all going to get us relegated, with the exception of Allardyce.

You this time last year....

You just 8 months ago...

?

Moshiri has fired 5 managers:

Martinez
Koeman
Allardyce
Silva
Benitez

2 of those managers I believe were in the relegation zone when sacked (Silva, Koeman)

1 of those managers was in a relegation battle and on one of, if not the worst run of form in our PL history (Benitez)

1 of those managers was clearly hired as a short term fix (Allardyce). As much as I did not enjoy his football, he is the one manager unfairly sacked if you go purely on league position. But I believe he was only ever hired to be effectively an interim boss.

One of those managers was fired as they took a team from I believe 5th to 14th in 3 seasons (Martinez), despite having the best goalscorer in our recent history, who broke our PL goalscoring record in just 4 seasons here.

Ancelotti left for Real Madrid, it is what it is. Not really relevant to this discussion as he would clearly not have been fired.

My point to all this is that the fans haven't exactly been hounding managers out for no reason. 3 of the 5 listed were in legitimate relegation trouble. In fact, falling to the bottom 3 was the reason some were fired. I think that shows the club were worried and had nothing to do with fans. I think that for all those sackings, the form had deteriorated to a level that would have also resulted in a sacking at any of our comparative rivals.

I would also argue it was right to hold Koeman, Silva etc to a higher standard as they were significantly backed (arguably let down by DOFs too, but that's a whole other debate).

The one thing I will happily accept is that the fans have been too late to recognise that the vast majority of the issues lie higher than the manager. We have only now began to realise as a fan base that there are far bigger problems than who is in the dugout, and that some of these managers are actually quite good coaches. One or two managers can be poor, but not 6 or 7.

But it is much easier to say this with hindsight than it was at the time, especially as Moshiri came in as a new owner and none of us knew much about him. Now we have 7-8 years of experience under Moshiri's leadership, and unfortunately we now know much more about where blame should be apportioned.

These same set of fans then clapped a 3 - 1 defeat 4 days later. You could definitely forgive an owner for thinking these people don't have a clue
Maybe they can tell the difference between a total capitulation at home to a mid table team and a spirited defeat away to a resurgent Utd who hadn't conceded since Sept at home in the league. It's not the same, and well you know it

These same set of fans then clapped a 3 - 1 defeat 4 days later. You could definitely forgive an owner for thinking these people don't have a clue
People keep going on regarding the proposed protest that we must ack the team first and foremost before anything, maybe the 9k who went were trying to lift/support the team as the protest is not against them but the board on Saturday, its a thin line as both the manager and players need to take a hard look at themselves at this present time

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back