Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
We're being cautious and trying to achieve the best price and are willing to risk losing a target to do so. This strategy is wholly inconsistent with the idea that some have put forward, that there's way more money available than the mooted £100 million. If there were, we would be more aggressive and have signed one or two by now. We're not the next Chelski. Accept that those of you who are getting carried away.
However, our strategy is not inconsistent with having up to a positive net spend of £100 mill available. If we have we'll still need to achieve the best value possible in an inflated market, as we have several weak areas in the team, and we can only do that by hard bargaining and identifying value (cue Steve Walsh). We won't know for sure what our financial status is until we see the net spend when the window closes.
Only 11 days ago I was still hopeful we had a net spend of up to 100 mill available. I now believe it's likely when the 100 mill was first mooted it included the then expected sale of Lu for 50 to 60 mill which would mean we still have the biggest budget ever but it's not 100 mill.
With over 2 weeks to the first game I predict that Gueye will be our first significant signing. Come Sept we'll have a net spend of 30-55 million. We won't appoint David Dein and we won't sign Carvalho but may snag Witsel and maybe even Mata at the last minute. The idea that we'll outbid a determined Chelsea for Koulibaly is fanciful but we will sign a few the level of Brady and Lamine Kone.
Moshiri may well be the best thing that's happened to us in 20 years and there's every reason to be optimistic but his revolution is being oversold. We're much better off, under him, but we're not at Emmery, Monchi, Dein and 100 mill+ budget level.
I predict that excuses will be found for the below expectation spend and the same scenario of unrealistic expectation being built up will repeat itself again in the next 2 transfer windows.

Only 11 days ago I was still hopeful we had a net spend of up to 100 mill available. I now believe it's likely when the 100 mill was first mooted it included the then expected sale of Lu for 50 to 60 mill which would mean we still have the biggest budget ever but it's not 100 mill.
With over 2 weeks to the first game I predict that Gueye will be our first significant signing. Come Sept we'll have a net spend of 30-55 million. We won't appoint David Dein and we won't sign Carvalho but may snag Witsel and maybe even Mata at the last minute. The idea that we'll outbid a determined Chelsea for Koulibaly is fanciful but we will sign a few the level of Brady and Lamine Kone.
Moshiri may well be the best thing that's happened to us in 20 years and there's every reason to be optimistic but his revolution is being oversold. We're much better off, under him, but we're not at Emmery, Monchi, Dein and 100 mill+ budget level.
I predict that excuses will be found for the below expectation spend and the same scenario of unrealistic expectation being built up will repeat itself again in the next 2 transfer windows.

Spot on, great post.

The club is in a much better position now and it's quite exciting, but we are not quite as "we're f**king rich" as people assume we are, and do not have the required investment that will allow us to challenge the giants of the game ala city.

Spot on, great post.

The club is in a much better position now and it's quite exciting, but we are not quite as "we're f**king rich" as people assume we are, and do not have the required investment that will allow us to challenge the giants of the game ala city.
We are just as rich as people think mate, Martinez himself said we can compete with anyone, many reliable people have said we could afford messi if there was any remote chance

Spot on, great post.

For many on here it seems to be only either one or the other. Either we're super rich or it's all a lie and nothing has changed.
The evidence, thus far, simply suggests neither extreme is true and the reality is we're somewhere in between, more towards the positive end.
We'll know more clearly in September when we see the net spend but it's guaranteed we'll still have those who won't accept the evidence and continue to hold on to their belief.

For many on here it seems to be only either one or the other. Either we're super rich or it's all a lie and nothing has changed.
The evidence, thus far, simply suggests neither extreme is true and the reality is we're somewhere in between, more towards the positive end.
We'll know more clearly in September when we see the net spend but it's guaranteed we'll still have those who won't accept the evidence and continue to hold on to their belief.

Bingo mate. Can't blame either side as they both have some valid reasons for seeing it whichever way they do. Time will tell as always, though we might lose a few wobbly-heads along the way.

Yes mate I do, Stones has asked to go and met Moshiri who does not want to lose him but agreed if City met the valuation he placed on Stones he could leave.
How does him not wanting to lose him fit with him needing to lose him to achieve an increase in commercial revenue to fund the wage budget. One is a considered commercial decision the other is conceding to a players demands to leave?

How does him not wanting to lose him fit with him needing to lose him to achieve an increase in commercial revenue to fund the wage budget. One is a considered commercial decision the other is conceding to a players demands to leave?

No it isn't. Every player has a price. If Moshiri (I'm guessing along with Koeman & Walsh) considered £XM to be the price at which it doesn't make sense to hold on, then as long as he sticks to that, he's not conceding anything.

Stones is the easiest option to boost revenues but not the only answer. We might have sold Lukaku or a number of lesser players and/or created commercial income had Stones wished to stay.

Moshiri was adamant that Stones could only leave if City met his valuation.

Stones is the easiest option to boost revenues but not the only answer. We might have sold Lukaku or a number of lesser players and/or created commercial income had Stones wished to stay.

Do you think pursuing so many Center mids might have been a back-up plan, as besides Lukaku and Stones there are some decent players we could get a decent fee for and their book values will be quite low. I'm talking Gibson, McCarthy, and Cleverly.

Its been said before but every player has a price regardless of how good they are and how big or rich a club is, its business after all. If he wants to go and our price is met then sound off you pop lad, were Everton and we will be around long after your gone. Thanks for the memories and for the profit.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back