Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
Huge amount of mis-placed concern expressed in this thread overy Moshiri's motives, ability to fund and ability to perform.

Simply you do not become the trusted confidant and business partner of Russia's wealthiest man without having huge business and commercial acumen.

As I've written previously he could have maintained a fairly anonymous existence at Arsenal but chose (for the first time in his career) to make a very public investment in Everton. Given the exposure of this investment there is no way he will permit this to fail, nor will he be looking to use the club's assets and cash flow for his own benefit at the expense of the club and/or shareholders. Quite simply if that was his motive there's hundreds of assets he could acquire in Russia/Central Asia and achieve more financially.

He's putting the foundations in place, new management team, advanced plans for new stadium, and provided the largest transfer budget in our history.

The window doesn't close for nearly 4 weeks, we've plenty of irons in some considerable fires and a future ahead of us back at the top of English football.
anyway mate rumour me up for when i am out on the ale later.

I would still find it incredulous that the club could get to the close of the window and not have succeeded in making additions to the squad, in both qualitative and quantitative terms. In several areas we are simply lacking quality / numbers to sustain a complete season without to-be-expected occurences like injury and loss of form. We are short in several areas.

It's folly to assume Koeman and Walsh, seasoned and successful professionals on six figure salaries aren't aware of this, if I as an Ordinary Joe am very acutely aware of it.

I'll readily admit I am nervous and not a little frustrated at the complexity and difficulty of getting the deals we want, done. I thought we would have 1-2 more players in by now.

This is going to be repeated ad nauseum on here for the next few weeks now but we can only make an informed judgement when the window closes. That is not long in coming so if reading everything between the lines has been correct, we are potentially in for much excitement transfers-wise in the next few weeks.

The club will be due enormous credit if they pull off 50% or more of their targets. By the same token, if our business looks mediocre/underwhelming by the close of the window I believe that we as fans, will be entitled to engage in critical analysis - we simply must see the squad strengthended adequately in the coming weeks, be that in a drip-drip fashion, or via a deadline day/week crescendo. Moshiri's debut season must be heralded as that in which we made the required "statements of intent" both as this is absolutely necessary anyway and by virtue of the fact that we all want to see him make his mark.

Huge amount of mis-placed concern expressed in this thread overy Moshiri's motives, ability to fund and ability to perform.

Simply you do not become the trusted confidant and business partner of Russia's wealthiest man without having huge business and commercial acumen.

As I've written previously he could have maintained a fairly anonymous existence at Arsenal but chose (for the first time in his career) to make a very public investment in Everton. Given the exposure of this investment there is no way he will permit this to fail, nor will he be looking to use the club's assets and cash flow for his own benefit at the expense of the club and/or shareholders. Quite simply if that was his motive there's hundreds of assets he could acquire in Russia/Central Asia and achieve more financially.

He's putting the foundations in place, new management team, advanced plans for new stadium, and provided the largest transfer budget in our history.

The window doesn't close for nearly 4 weeks, we've plenty of irons in some considerable fires and a future ahead of us back at the top of English football.

A very interesting and as usual positive post Esk.

I would agree with much of what you have said particularly para 2.

However how do we actually know :

a. that there are advanced plans for a new stadium and

b. that he has provided the largest transfer budget in our history.

We have heard of meetings with the Mayor but nothing more concerete beyond that with regard to a new ground and from yourself that we have made bids for some high profile players - none of which have come off.

He has appointed Koeman and Walsh - potentially good - but has retained a failed CEO and Mr Kenwright still appears to be our No1 spokesperson- bad .

Anyone could see that we desperately needed 4 or 5 quality players yet have failed to bring in anyone of quality to allow them sufficient time to integrate before the start of the new season.

Contrast our transfer activity with RS , Leicester , United and City. I'm not talking about who they have brought in but when they brought players in. Anyone who knows about football knows that much of what a coach wants to achieve with a team is done in pre season.

AS far as I can see as an ordinary fan very little has changed.

A very interesting and as usual positive post Esk.

I would agree with much of what you have said particularly para 2.

We have heard of meetings with the Mayor but nothing more concerete beyond that with regard to a new ground and from yourself that we have made bids for some high profile players - none of which have come off.

He has appointed Koeman and Walsh - potentially good - but has retained a failed CEO and Mr Kenwright still appears to be our No1 spokesperson- bad .

Anyone could see that we desperately needed 4 or 5 quality players yet have failed to bring in anyone of quality to allow them sufficient time to integrate before the start of the new season.

Contrast our transfer activity with RS , Leicester , United and City. I'm not talking about who they have brought in but when they brought players in. Anyone who knows about football knows that much of what a coach wants to achieve with a team is done in pre season.

AS far as I can see as an ordinary fan very little has changed.
On the stadium issue I am pretty sure esk has said he has seen/knows someone who has seen images relating to the new stadium, and as for the transfer funds even Martinez said before he left that we could pretty much compete with anyone know money wise, Koeman has mentioned that there is a "budget" also, if people choose to go for the opinion that there is nothing and we are still doomed then that is their choice, but I am going to go with the people who have actually made statements regarding Moshiri, i.e. the mayor.

Also with regard to the clubs you mention re transfers, I would much rather see us go for our top targets than throwing money at some of the players who have been signed

Each to their own

Plus we've already got Mata and Witsel too, as you stated a while back. So i don't know what everyone is complaining about...

The truth of the matter is that the general public will hardly ever know something in advance of it happening or an approved release from the club. It's a private business albeit very much in the public domain. I think perhaps they might want to review their PR strategies going forward.

Re the stadium, I'm aware of several things not in the public domain which demonstrate that plans have advanced hugely in the period that Moshiri has acquired shares. In addition there is the marked turn-around in relationships with LCC, and a wide acknowledgement that sites on the banks of the Mersey are being negotiated.

Re transfer budgets, we would not be bidding for the types of players we are bidding for without having the budgets required for fees and wages. To do so, and mix with the most powerful agents in the business would be absolute folly, and I think we can all agree Moshiri is not an unintelligent man. On the success of the bids for players, well regrettably further patience is required until the end of the window. I would share your concern if we were getting outright rejections or players of the calibre of Witsel, Carvalho, Mata etc were moving to other clubs. The fact is they haven't and we remain in the frame. I do believe there will be significant activity in the market once Pogba finally moves to United.

Yes we've retained Elstone, but his role is significantly diminished with the appointment of Ryazantsev, and particularly our new DoF in relation to transfer negotiations. With regards to Bill, he's performing a public role (which suits Moshiri) but the power base sits very clearly with Moshiri, and will strengthen further as he takes up his options agreements with BK, JW and AA.

We all know Moshiri isnt the same as Abramovich or Mansour so we weren't going to just splash £150m randomly on any old available household name.

He's doing things calculated and with Walsh and Koeman now in place it's up to them to build on the pitch and I'm sure Moshiri will offer them what ever resources they want, within reason. He is a 'football man' after all, who's seen what you can do if you do things properly at Arsenal.

The truth of the matter is that the general public will hardly ever know something in advance of it happening or an approved release from the club. It's a private business albeit very much in the public domain. I think perhaps they might want to review their PR strategies going forward.

Re the stadium, I'm aware of several things not in the public domain which demonstrate that plans have advanced hugely in the period that Moshiri has acquired shares. In addition there is the marked turn-around in relationships with LCC, and a wide acknowledgement that sites on the banks of the Mersey are being negotiated.

Re transfer budgets, we would not be bidding for the types of players we are bidding for without having the budgets required for fees and wages. To do so, and mix with the most powerful agents in the business would be absolute folly, and I think we can all agree Moshiri is not an unintelligent man. On the success of the bids for players, well regrettably further patience is required until the end of the window. I would share your concern if we were getting outright rejections or players of the calibre of Witsel, Carvalho, Mata etc were moving to other clubs. The fact is they haven't and we remain in the frame. I do believe there will be significant activity in the market once Pogba finally moves to United.

Yes we've retained Elstone, but his role is significantly diminished with the appointment of Ryazantsev, and particularly our new DoF in relation to transfer negotiations. With regards to Bill, he's performing a public role (which suits Moshiri) but the power base sits very clearly with Moshiri, and will strengthen further as he takes up his options agreements with BK, JW and AA.

All positive stuff and I like any sensible Everton fan desperately hope that everything you have said comes true.

I reitterate that it would have been desirable to bring in players well before the start of the season and that a real management restructure would have involved replacing Elstone with someone with knowledge and gravitas such as Peter Kenyon.

I really don't know why we haven't if the widely touted budget exists.

BTW I totally agree on the PR front - it would be good to hear from Mr Moshiri himself as to what he envisges for Everton.

Even Mansour had to throw everything at the epically mediocre Robinho before people took him seriously.

£30m and they did the deal in a overnight.

C'mon lads, let's not dress it up. City did what we have failed to do this summer.

Look, Moshiri never said 'I'm going to be spending big'. He's not said it once, nor have his closest associates. It's all been rumour, gossip and PR from the Echo (likely to have come from the offices of Mr W. Kenwright). As @hibbo'sclass said yesterday, there's no evidence he has paid down any debt. 'Two or three years' for a stadium has come from a politician hoping to ride a regeneration project for his own ends. Koeman is a great acquisition (we hope) but have we aimed any higher than if we'd gone for Laudrup after his first Swansea season? Probably not. Securing him and paying his salary for a season has cost less than Ashley Williams might ended up costing. Hardly a monster gamble. We over-promoted the chief scout of one of the lowest paying clubs in the league. Again, all very nice, but not all-conquering.

Moshiri is, on the other hand, from a serious accounting background and by all accounts a shrewd business brain.What he has brilliantly realised is that for a modest initial investment, he can recoup a significant chunk of it within months (Lukaku, Stones, new TV deal etc). I don't think we should criticise him for this move, it's just a shame that it is profiteering at the sake of our beloved club.

Last edited:

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back