Financial Fair Play investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
People keep comparing us to City, we are nothing like City, they committed fraud, have some of the best legal minds in the world and will rightly get away with everything.

We just broke the rules straight up, shrugged and said "COVID mate", we deserve to be liquidated.
Yes we did but what I don't get though is the PL signed off on all of our accounts apparently and we had to run our purchases past them, so if we are in breach then they are as much to blame? So I presume there is an element of them referring us in this year to show they have reacted to the claims by clubs who have gone down. Anyway I can't see a points deduction probably a transfer ban for January and let's face it we do naff all then anyway.

Yes we did but what I don't get though is the PL signed off on all of our accounts apparently and we had to run our purchases past them, so if we are in breach then they are as much to blame? So I presume there is an element of them referring us in this year to show they have reacted to the claims by clubs who have gone down. Anyway I can't see a points deduction probably a transfer ban for January and let's face it we do naff all then anyway.
They only sign off to say they received them and that the headline numbers say that EFC is compliant. They do the same for all clubs. They do not check the actual accounts to see if they are correctly done and presented as per the rules. That is done at a later stage and hence the charges for clubs always happen at a later stage unless the club fails to submit their account or submits them and say that they broke FFP

They only sign off to say they received them and that the headline numbers say that EFC is compliant. They do the same for all clubs. They do not check the actual accounts to see if they are correctly done and presented as per the rules. That is done at a later stage and hence the charges for clubs always happen at a later stage unless the club fails to submit their account or submits them and say that they broke FFP
Fair maybe accounts is the wrong word, but it was widely reported we told the PL that we would breach the three year FFP period during covid, much of the losses offset to COVID losses and we couldn't make a purchase without PL permission for the last few years. We were told that's why we sold Richarlison by the 30th of June last summer. Anyway yes seems it's the total amounts we were over on P&S regs and now it's reported that's to do with interest on a loan. We shall see doesn't surprise me our board and owner have done something idiotic and negligent, but when you look at our actual spend on players we are actually have made money in the last few years it's the wages versus revenue that have been way too high, I doubt this one breach is going to warrant more than a window transfer ban or a suspended sentence and large fine.

Last edited:
If we are found guilty for breaching ffp rules would it not be a good argument to just say. Well we were only following the model that City had adopted for over a decade and received no punishment for? I mean how could they argue against that with any merit?
By 'received no punishment', are you insinuating City are guilty? Because at the moment, they have not been found guilty of any breaches themselves.

While we may all suspect they've cooked the books and to be fair they me subsequently found guilty, arguing that we've followed a currently 'legal' model...

... and that's why we've breached the rules won't wash, at all.

If tax and infrastructure related I'm struggling to see the issue, what the fuss is.

Infrastructure is exempted from FFP, Profit or Loss BEFORE tax is the starting point.

Covid losses relative to other clubs yes that would make sense for a challenge, maybe worth looking at USM £30m for a naming right option too but I really struggle to see what the case is here. The only bit I can see affecting it is the interest on said loans, they do go through Profit and Loss.
They won’t look at the USM deal. As while it may be dodgy, all we have to do is point out the number of state owned clubs being sponsored by state owned companies and the inflated deals they have made.

Newcastles new shirt sponsor at 25m a year? Jumping from 8m a year based off one good season? That’s never happened before. Leicester’s didn’t jump when they won’t the title, ours never jumped when we finished 4th.

I dont think they signed off on anything, personally.

I suspect they said "You are close to a breach, dont take the pee" and what did we do?
We sold our main assets and didn’t replace them. We brought our wages to revenue down. I’m fairly certain we have one of the lowest net spends in the PL over the last 3/4 seasons.

And don’t forget our BIGGEST ever shirt sponsorship deal the the Prof got us.

We also did the right thing in regards to our USM sponsorship and ended it. Morally, punishing us for that wouldn’t be a good look on the PL.

We have done a lot to not take the pee.

If tax and infrastructure related I'm struggling to see the issue, what the fuss is.

Infrastructure is exempted from FFP, Profit or Loss BEFORE tax is the starting point.

Covid losses relative to other clubs yes that would make sense for a challenge, maybe worth looking at USM £30m for a naming right option too but I really struggle to see what the case is here. The only bit I can see affecting it is the interest on said loans, they do go through Profit and Loss.
But who were Everton loaning from for the stadium? Moshiri has funded this so far.

We've had our deals signed off by the PL - certain that has happened.

I'm sure when that news came out that it was the case, the rules showed that when a club breaches, that is one of the initial steps/controls that the PL should implement.

I still cant get my head around how the stadium tax issue relates to a charge. It is exlcuded from FFP? However is it excluded from the PL profit and loss ?

We sold our main assets and didn’t replace them. We brought our wages to revenue down. I’m fairly certain we have one of the lowest net spends in the PL over the last 3/4 seasons.

And don’t forget our BIGGEST ever shirt sponsorship deal the the Prof got us.

We also did the right thing in regards to our USM sponsorship and ended it. Morally, punishing us for that wouldn’t be a good look on the PL.

We have done a lot to not take the pee.
This.

This is a box-ticking exercise from the PL. Yesterday's news from Joyce confirmed it.

There was parliamentary scrutiny earlier in the year with regard to PL / football governance and the hearing is one element of that outcome. They have to be seen to be doing something.

On a wider note, the PL can also say that by putting us on watch, they have reined the club in which effectively, they have. In the middle of this, the Ukraine situation has forced further change. The club have been co-operative.

I'm not especially concerned about the hearing outcome after yesterday, save the element of doubt about the unknown and just wanting it over and done with.

This is a box-ticking exercise from the PL. Yesterday's news from Joyce confirmed it.

There was parliamentary scrutiny earlier in the year with regard to PL / football governance and the hearing is one element of that outcome. They have to be seen to be doing something.

On a wider note, the PL can also say that by putting us on watch, they have reined the club in which effectively, they have. In the middle of this, the Ukraine situation has forced further change. The club have been co-operative.

I'm not especially concerned about the hearing outcome after yesterday, save the element of doubt about the unknown and just wanting it over and done with.

so it’s BS? i’m sure the prem are trying to ruin us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back