• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Football is coming home, Euro 2024 Final, England v Spain(Sunday 8pm)

It makes absolutely no sense to build a team around Kane at this stage of his career.

To get the best out of Kane, you would need to play wide forwards like Rashford or Gordon or Eze etc, and they just aren't as good as Foden and Saka.

England should be looking to move on from Kane now at this stage. His performances in this tournament were as poor as I can remember from an England centre forward at a tournament.
Exactly… sorry but there is no reason why someone else given a chance doesn’t score all of the Kane goals.

I agree with this. Overall, Southgate has been great for England - he’s restored belief in the England national team, given us some amazing memories, but ultimately came up short. I don’t agree with the shouts that he’s just been lucky. You don’t get to back to back Euro Finals and a WC semi just through luck.

But looking forward, I have no idea who could replace him. There is no obvious name that springs to mind, but we can’t afford to waste this generation of players with limited tactics. With more tactical nouse, I genuinely believe England could’ve walked this tournament and even swept Spain aside in the Final.
We watched all of the games though unfortunately. He's been unbelievably lucky. There's no point playing [Poor language removed] uninspiring negative football and then.not winning. What were these amazing memories? Being out played by Croatia and Italy?

Just think it’s a tactical thing. In Bayern and Spurs he has players stretching the defence so he can come deep and then arrive late to finish pull backs. Problem for England is Foden Bellingham Kane and Saka all want to play in the same position. Palmer and Eze want to be there too. Should have been brave enough to bench a big name and if you’re building around Kane put him at false 9 with two quick wingers and a striker ahead of him. We just had no one running behind
They could have developed a Kane Rashford combo but didn’t. They could also just not play Kane.

It makes absolutely no sense to build a team around Kane at this stage of his career.

To get the best out of Kane, you would need to play wide forwards like Rashford or Gordon or Eze etc, and they just aren't as good as Foden and Saka.

England should be looking to move on from Kane now at this stage. His performances in this tournament were as poor as I can remember from an England centre forward at a tournament.

That’s the decision that had to be made but we did the usual English thing of trying to cram names onto a team sheet. Sadly there’s no real world class English striking talent coming through the same way Owen followed Shearer, then Rooney, then Kane. There’s no one so if Kane is still hitting 30 plus goals for Bayern Munich in 2 years time we’re going to have this same dilemma again. That front four can’t play together.

No, he went off, they still won the game.

I’m aware I’m being challenged by a dork who loved Iwobi.

Get in the bin you absolute buffoon.
They won because he went off. They weren’t scoring with him on. Southgate had it all pegged. The movement in midfield killed them second half. Ruiz, a far superior player, dropping deeper killed the system for marking in those areas.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back