Football Is Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
We should have probably all seen this coming when the Premier League thought it would be a good idea to outsource the handling of VAR to the exact same idiots whose performances had gotten so bad it necessitated the need for VAR in the first place.

I mean, Anthony Taylor!? I remember a match he refereed between Everton and West Ham at Upton Park not all that long ago where he sent Darren Gibson off for us and I think Charlton Cole off for the Hammers and both decisions got overturned in the aftermath. Imagine sending two players off in one game and your own colleagues deem both decisions so ludicrous that they overturn both of them...

Yes, this was the same moron who was monitoring VAR in the match yesterday. Sometimes it doesn't matter if you see and incident once or 20 times, if you're a clueless biff like Anthony Taylor and so many others at the PGMOL are, then VAR is just not going to work.

Hands above head for any reason other than having no control of your body + ball hitting the hand = penalty.

It really is that simple. Others have confused the matter by mistaking specific rules about handball in attacking scenarios instead.

There's nothing to debate - people have simply read it incorrectly.

You mean apart from the rule that says a handball will not be given if it comes of the foot/body/ head of the player or any other player that is close or nearby? I agree that’s a pen btw I’m just pointing out they have written the rule like a horoscope that can be interpreted however necessary to prove the decision was the correct one .

Its impossible to enjoy a game of football as things are. If you go the game you're basically just another a prop for sky and other tv companies to add to their drama show for the "real audience".

Sky will no doubt be very pleased with what VAR has done so far. Plenty of juicy gossip and angry reactions to talk about for them.

So what if it holds every game up by the minimum of ten mins to make a call that a five year old would be able to judge correctly within seconds.

So what if proper celebrations of goals aren't a thing anymore because we're all waiting for it to be given a ruling from the all knowing VAR which will inevitably be the wrong call anyway.

All of that is irrelevant to them, just like endless inconvenient kick off times and the casual disdain the powers that be hold both fans and none elite clubs in.

And how do the none elite clubs react to the disdain that both the football authorities and the t.v. hold them in? They act like Oliver Twist and beg for more because they're mercenaries too and they don't give a dam about their fans so long as they get their slice of the pie.

What do any of them care. If somebody like me just walks away from the game after being a season ticket holder for going on twenty-five years whats that to them? I'm easily replaceable and a drop in the ocean.

If this is football in 2019, then I want no part of it anymore. I signed up to watch Everton Football Club through thick and thin, I didn't sign up to pay a kings ransom for the "privilege" of attending a drama show that masquerades as a sport that's about as legit as pro wrestling.

With every passing season I lose more and more interest with football.

As a typical fair weather fan though I think it’s ace when Everton are in one of their rare purple patches.

You are right, keiran is too stupid to understand the rules

According to Keiran’s interpretation of the rules, the Sissoko handball in the CL final shouldn’t have been a pen because the ball was going miles away from goal and therefore he didn’t gain an advantage by handling it, however here’s his own take on the rule from just two months ago:

To be fair, it’s so hard to be certain of intent. The rule change does make it easier for the refs. It’s either hit the hand or it hasn’t. Irrespective of suspected intent or position of the arm etc.

It’s evolved so much over the years, like the Sissoko one in the CL final where it wasn’t deliberate but his hand was in an “unnatural position”

I do think the rule is for the best, it’s just gutting that it’s been administered in this way already.

Now all of a sudden we’re talking about body shape and trajectory/direction of the ball. Interesting to note what’s changed from that time. One of these incidents was against Liverpool and the other was against Everton.

They know they Ballard it up, the statement they released about not having the tv replay that showed it as blatant was appalling....
How can you implement a system yet not have as much evidence as a tv company?

That I just find weird.

The cameras in RL are the Sky cameras... Why not just use the TV cameras since it's their job to have the game covered from every angle...

According to Keiran’s interpretation of the rules, the Sissoko handball in the CL final shouldn’t have been a pen because the ball was going miles away from goal and therefore he didn’t gain an advantage by handling it, however here’s his own take on the rule from just two months ago:

Now all of a sudden we’re talking about body shape and trajectory/direction of the ball. Interesting to note what’s changed from that time. One of these incidents was against Liverpool and the other was against Everton.

You have been a busy bee haven't you lol

Go on then, i'll humour you, seeing as you've gone to so much trouble trawling through months of posts.

My interpretation of the rules is that there are multiple factors at play in deciding whether or not to give a penalty. Body position, intent, trajectory of the ball and if the opposition gained an obvious advantage because of it. The ref and video ref have to interpret all of that and make a collective decision. I'm not saying it's right or fair, I'm just stating that this is how they have judged it based on their interpretation of the rules - and as the governing body of the game, ultimately that's what matters. Obviously with different refs you're going to have different interpretations of the law as that's how human behaviour is, so you're never going to get 100% consistency.

Much of Football is subjective and i'd agree that VAR in it's current state isn't fit for purpose and needs to be reviewed. It should only be used to override clear and obvious reffing errors and I'm not convinced that was a clear and obvious error yesterday. If we'd got the pen yesterday, I'd have been as happy as anyone, but I'd still have said it was soft and we'd have basically got one for free. Reason being, (other than the fact it did hit his hand) it doesn't satisfy enough of those aforementioned factors to be a 'clear and obvious' penalty. The ref didn't give it in real time and literally nobody (no fans, players or staff) claimed for it, it wasn't clear and obvious error for Taylor to overrule.

He was challenging for the ball off the ground and his body was in an unnatural shape with his arm up - on that basis alone alot of you are saying 'PEN'. The fact he was in a physical challenge and was off the ground is crucial, according to the statement released after the game. He was in a physical challenge for the ball and he was looking away, that accounts for the unnatural body shape. The ball clearly hits his hand, there is no dispute about that by anyone. However, there appeared to be no intent on Alli's part to handle, I'm not sure many would argue that. The ball trajectory barely changed as it only glanced off the back of his hand. And finally (and crucially), Spurs didn't gain an advantage because of it, we were still on the attack. .

I think the last one is the most important factor with these things. Has it actually prevented / created a goalscoring opportunity? And the answer in this case was clearly no. Weighing up all of the factors, the ref has looked at it and decided it wasn't a clear and obvious error. It's unfortunate but I can see why.

You reference the Sissoko one in the CL final, but with that one he wasn't being challenged. His feet were planted and his arm was in an unnatural position. There was no intent, but the ball trajectory completely changed and Spurs did gain an advantage from it as it blocked the cross from coming into the box. Crucially with that one, the on-field official gave it, so VAR would have to find that he'd made a clear and obvious error in giving that.

I don't expect you'll agree with any of this and that's fine, them's the breaks! It's why we have GOT after all. Good talk.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have been a busy bee haven't you lol

Go on then, i'll humour you, seeing as you've gone to so much trouble trawling through months of posts.

My interpretation of the rules is that there are multiple factors at play in deciding whether or not to give a penalty. Body position, intent, trajectory of the ball and if the opposition gained an obvious advantage because of it. The ref and video ref has to interpret all of that and make a decision. I'm not saying it's right or fair, I'm just stating that this is how they have judged it based on their interpretation of the rules - and as the governing body, ultimately that's what matters. Obviously with different refs you're going to have different interpretations of the law as that's how human behaviour is, so you're never going to get 100% consistency.

Much of Football is subjective and i'd agree that VAR in it's current state isn't fit for purpose and needs to be reviewed. It should only be used to override clear and obvious reffing errors and I'm not convinced that was a clear and obvious error yesterday. If we'd got the pen yesterday, I'd have been as happy as anyone, but I'd still have said it was soft and we'd have basically got one for free. Reason being, (other than the fact it did hit his hand) it doesn't satisfy enough of those aforementioned factors to be a 'clear and obvious' penalty. The ref didn't give it in real time and literally nobody claimed for it, it wasn't clear and obvious error for Taylor to overrule.

He was challenging for the ball off the ground and his body was in an unnatural shape with his arm up. The fact he was being challenged and he was off the ground is crucial according to the statement released after the game. He was in a physical challenge for the ball and he was looking away. The ball clearly hits his hand, there is no dispute about that by anyone. However, there appeared to be no intent on Alli's part to handle, I'm not sure many would argue that. The ball trajectory barely changed as it only glanced off the back of his hand. And finally (and crucially), Spurs didn't gain an advantage because of it.

I think the last one is the most important factor with these things. Has it actually prevented / created a goalscoring opportunity? And the answer in this case was clearly no. Weighing up all of the factors, the ref has looked at it and decided it wasn't a clear and obvious error. It's unfortunate but I can see why.

You reference the Sissoko one in the CL final, but with that one he wasn't being challenged. His feet were planted and his arm was in an unnatural position. There was no intent, but the ball trajectory completely changed and Spurs did gain an advantage from it as it blocked the cross from coming into the box. Crucially with that one, the on-field official gave it, so VAR would have to find that he'd made a clear and obvious error in giving that.

?? A very simple one word search, took me 10 seconds.

Despite the fact you have typed a humongous diatribe to try and come across as intellectual once again (which appears to be your thing), you haven't managed to wriggle yourself out of this one. You said two months ago that the rule change would make it easier for the refs, as if it hits your hand it's now handball.

If you watch the Alli incident back again, the ball does actually change direction quite significantly. The camera angle from the main stand side of the pitch shows this. How do you know the ball wouldn't have bounced a couple of times and landed at the feet of an Everton player for a shot? That doesn't even matter though in the cold light of day, the rule states if it hits your hand in the area then it is handball. A rule you backed up yourself on the 17th August, even using the words "irrespective of intent or position of the arm".

I look forward to your many paragraphs of complete and utter drivel in response.

Despite the fact you have typed a humongous diatribe to try and come across as intellectual once again (which appears to be your thing)

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Oh the irony. Have you got 'word of the day' toilet paper mate?

I said that it would be easier for refs. Which it is. It doesn't mean it's easier for the rest of us, mind. Ref's now don't have to consider intent so I'll concede that, but they do still have to consider whether an advantage has been achieved through the use of the hand.

"IFAB says that having the hand/arm above shoulder height is rarely a "natural" position and a player is "taking a risk" by having the hand/arm in that position"

'Taking a risk'. It doesn't say that it's categorically a penalty because it hits a hand. And this is where interpretation comes into it.

It's fine to say you disagree with the interpretation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back