Football Is Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Keiran’s interpretation of the rules, the Sissoko handball in the CL final shouldn’t have been a pen because the ball was going miles away from goal and therefore he didn’t gain an advantage by handling it, however here’s his own take on the rule from just two months ago:

Now all of a sudden we’re talking about body shape and trajectory/direction of the ball. Interesting to note what’s changed from that time. One of these incidents was against Liverpool and the other was against Everton.

BRUTAL lol

The thing with football is, there aren't hard and fast rules like some sports. Take that "handball" yesterday. Mina skimmed the ball off his head. If he'd made full contact it wouldn't have hit Dele's hand. Hitting the hand did not prevent the ball going in the net, or change the direction massively, therefore the VAR ref has to make a decision about whether it's handball or not. In a game like field hockey, if it hits your leg it's an infringement, whether you kicked it, or whether the opponent deliberately hit it onto your leg makes no difference.

The rules are open to interpretation (other than offside) and therefore technology can't remove controversy.

This.

According to Keiran’s interpretation of the rules, the Sissoko handball in the CL final shouldn’t have been a pen because the ball was going miles away from goal and therefore he didn’t gain an advantage by handling it, however here’s his own take on the rule from just two months ago:

Now all of a sudden we’re talking about body shape and trajectory/direction of the ball. Interesting to note what’s changed from that time. One of these incidents was against Liverpool and the other was against Everton.
I'll add that to his list

With every passing season I lose more and more interest with football.

As a typical fair weather fan though I think it’s ace when Everton are in one of their rare purple patches.
I expect soon a very poor VAR decision will happen to an established top four side, and that's when it will all kick off... In the meantime I'm not being mugged off with my hard earned monies to whatever yesterday was! .
I'll take us playing bad all day long and I've sat through Walker and the end days of Smith... But I'm not putting up with decisions like that, like said I was happy to cancel my sport subs yesterday morning because of VAR in Brighton match, and nothing like being proved correct with a principled stand...

With every passing season I lose more and more interest with football.

As a typical fair weather fan though I think it’s ace when Everton are in one of their rare purple patches.
It’s not even being a fair weather fan now, it’s totally illogical to not be getting bored and starting to lose interest in watching the same rubbish year after year

Because he’s such a “nice guy”. A nice guy who spends the entire game diving and then lashes out at Mina and Gomes because it’s not working.

It's sickening. The Telegraph live mbm at the time said "And Son has just looked for retaliation on Andre Gomes...." before the severity of his injury was clear. I can't bear to read all these pundits in the mainstream media making Son out to be the victim and it being some unavoidable mishap. It's an absolute disgrace. I even include our own staff on this one.

If I punch someone in the face after the match I'll get a caution for assault or whatever. If they were to land on the curb, crack their skull and die, I go down for murder. I can't say in court "oh but I'm not that kind of puncher and I didn't mean to kill him."

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Oh the irony. Have you got 'word of the day' toilet paper mate?

I said that it would be easier for refs. Which it is. It doesn't mean it's easier for the rest of us, mind. Ref's now don't have to consider intent so I'll concede that, but they do still have to consider whether an advantage has been achieved through the use of the hand.

"IFAB says that having the hand/arm above shoulder height is rarely a "natural" position and a player is "taking a risk" by having the hand/arm in that position"

'Taking a risk'. It doesn't say that it's categorically a penalty because it hits a hand. And this is where interpretation comes into it.

It's fine to say you disagree with the interpretation.

Surely the "taking a risk" is that if the ball hits your hand/arm there you've no excuse and it's gonna be handball?

If I punch someone in the face after the match I'll get a caution for assault or whatever. If they were to land on the curb, crack their skull and die, I go down for murder. I can't say in court "oh but I'm not that kind of puncher and I didn't mean to kill him."

Or manslaughter which is a less serious offence and does give significance to the fact you didn't mean to kill someone.

It's sickening. The Telegraph live mbm at the time said "And Son has just looked for retaliation on Andre Gomes...." before the severity of his injury was clear. I can't bear to read all these pundits in the mainstream media making Son out to be the victim and it being some unavoidable mishap. It's an absolute disgrace. I even include our own staff on this one.

absolutely nailed it for me , I was going to post something similar but wouldn’t have done it justice .

It’s exactly that, the difference between murder and manslaughter . people sometimes Don’t mean to kill people but actions have consequences and you get punished. In your above analogy you might not have come at the fella with an axe but you don’t get a walk because of it .

absolutely nailed it for me , I was going to post something similar but wouldn’t have done it justice .

It’s exactly that, the difference between murder and manslaughter . people sometimes Don’t mean to kill people but actions have consequences and you get punished. In your above analogy you might not have come at the fella with an axe but you don’t get a walk because of it .

Yes, your axe analogy is better.

We all accept( I think) that Son did not go out to cause such an horrific injury but the fact is that he did. Son knew he had no chance of getting the ball and decided to trip Andre Gomez , take one for the team (God I detest that expression) i.e cheat. A red card is given if the tackle endangers the player's safety. With that in mind how can it be anything other than a red card ? VAR is clearly not yet fit for purpose as is shown virtually every game. It depends on a person remotely making a decision albeit with the benefit of 14 camera angles but still in his opinion. So to mind the only thing VAR does is delay the game and leave everybody in suspense. Not wHat many want at a game at all.

Or manslaughter which is a less serious offence and does give significance to the fact you didn't mean to kill someone.

yeah it would be but I think his point is valid isn’t it because you don’t just ride off into the sunset . You didn’t mean it but it still happened so you’re punished.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back