Forum Upgrade

GrandOldTeam

Staff member
Hi everyone,

Apologies for the scheduled 40 minute downtime today.

It was necessary to upgrade our core forum software.

This was a big'un with a lot of moving parts - so please use this thread to flag any probs.

In the immediate, your style choices (day vs night) will have likely changed. You can change this back in the footer link, or within your preferences;

Thanks to @mattw who helped massively by setting up a separate test site environment and being on hand to help prevent me breaking the whole thing.

Testing on different browsers. Got an all clear on a vanilla Edge. Disabling Ublock and Ghostery altogther on Firefox made no difference meaning it is probably Firefox itself. Going to try opera with Ublock enabled but site added to exception in a sec.

Many messages today to say my ad block is on - then off - my son had a look & it's definitely off ? big thumb sign on my computer stating it's off?

You have something on your computer blocking ads Joey. There can be more than one adblocker. Some VPNs can block ads too.

Tablet is clear, but your computer is blocking them.

On your tablet if you click around a few pages then visit here;

you'll see it's clear. If you do the same on your computer, you'll see it says adblocked.

On your tablet for a very short spell it might say "we've noticed your account has recently had adblocker" as your account is marked as using adblocker from your computer, but this will disappear once you click around a bit on the tablet.

I have found the addon that was causing the problem in firefox and will post the details of it here in case anyone else has the same issue.

The addon is called ClearURLs - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/fi...um=firefox-browser&utm_source=firefox-browser

Disabling that brings up an all clear for adblocking detection assuming that you have the site whitelisted in your other ad related addons of course.

Thanks mate.

Just interested, why would you have that, in addition to Ublock/Ghostery?

Thanks mate.

Removes some trackers/info-gathering. Example is Amazon having the hilariously long links that basically lead to you getting recommended similar items and stuff like that, but other sites are more malicious with it.

The combo of Ghostery, Ublock and ClearURL is a bit over the top, but "security starts with YOU", so...

Thanks mate.

Put it on a few years ago as a lot of sites add all kinds of stuff to their urls so they can track and follow you around the internet. Bit OTT but i like my privacy so always go that extra mile when it comes to it. That addon says nothing about blocking ads at dns level though which is kinda dishonest or at minimum vague so i was happy to remove it. ;)

You have something on your computer blocking ads Joey. There can be more than one adblocker. Some VPNs can block ads too.

Tablet is clear, but your computer is blocking them.

On your tablet if you click around a few pages then visit here;

you'll see it's clear. If you do the same on your computer, you'll see it says adblocked.

On your tablet for a very short spell it might say "we've noticed your account has recently had adblocker" as your account is marked as using adblocker from your computer, but this will disappear once you click around a bit on the tablet.
My son went into everything last night & on my main computer - there is a thumbs up sign to say no ad blocking on this site, just checked now it clear of Ad blocking ?plus I hardly used my i pad yesterday as it was on charge ? I will get him to check that this evening ...

The big yellow thumb reads this message below -

grandoldteam.com​

You’ve configured AdBlock to remain paused on this site for every visit.
play_arrow or Unpause AdBlock

Last edited:

My son went into everything last night & on my main computer - there is a thumbs up sign to say no ad blocking on this site, just checked now it clear of Ad blocking ?plus I hardly used my i pad yesterday as it was on charge ? I will get him to check that this evening ...

The big yellow thumb reads this message below -

grandoldteam.com​

You’ve configured AdBlock to remain paused on this site for every visit.
play_arrow or Unpause AdBlock

Aye, it'll be something else. You can't see ads, can you?

Aye, it'll be something else. You can't see ads, can you?
No, but it states at the top of the page if you sign up to be a forum supporter - which I am, you avoid the adverts ?-

Did you know there's a subscription that allows the option of no adverts?
Click here to upgrade your 'Forum Supporter' subscription.

So I was totally unaware I was Ad blocking, my son reckons he has sorted it ?
I have been on 15 minutes & it's clear ad blocking ?

The blocking happened just past midnight?

No, but it states at the top of the page if you sign up to be a forum supporter - which I am, you avoid the adverts ?-

Did you know there's a subscription that allows the option of no adverts?
Click here to upgrade your 'Forum Supporter' subscription.

So I was totally unaware I was Ad blocking, my son reckons he has sorted it ?
I have been on 15 minutes & it's clear ad blocking ?

The blocking happened just past midnight?

Correct.

There's a £10 per month subscription for people who are minted that gives the option to select a style to remove all ads mate.

The rest of the subs reduce the amount of ads. So at the top you have a notice you can close that says you can remove all ads with another subscription if you want.

As a forum supporter you get one notice at the top which references adblock so you know. If you didn't have that, every 7th page you'd be getting a pop up ad telling you to disable adblock.

Your account is showing clear as of 20+ minutes ago now though. Keep clicking around and the adblock message will go.

Correct.

There's a £10 per month subscription for people who are minted that gives the option to select a style to remove all ads mate.

The rest of the subs reduce the amount of ads. So at the top you have a notice you can close that says you can remove all ads with another subscription if you want.

As a forum supporter you get one notice at the top which references adblock so you know. If you didn't have that, every 7th page you'd be getting a pop up ad telling you to disable adblock.

Your account is showing clear as of 20+ minutes ago now though. Keep clicking around and the adblock message will go.
I will ask him to sort it later tonight, I am clueless - I will get him to read your information thanks & he should be able to sort it thanks ...

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back