• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Foxtel loses EPL to Optus

Status
Not open for further replies.
@kithnou
@cronullasharks
I don't know if you guys ever found a solution for yourselves, but I have been using premierleaguepass for two seasons now and I am not in the correct region.

The first thing you need is a "smartdns" such as unlocator, un block us, or getflix. You can use a vpn and select an exit server in say N.Z but speeds are slower and can be bottle necked at times.

You can sign up with your own credit card with your real billing addrezs, but you need to find a N.Z address and phone number when registering (i chose some physio in Wellington)

The quality is really good (720p) not as good as foxtel HD(1080p), but as good as you will get for an online stream. You can have 4 games playing at once, picture in picture, and a scoreboard. $200 nz dollars for a season plus ~$35 for a smart dns account.
You read this above mate?

The good news is that when I was in Aus a couple of months back I could watch PLP through VPN. Other streaming sports channels like our SkyGo detected VPN and didn't work.

The bad news is that Coliseum who own PLP and had the rights for EPL here have lost them to Bein, who are asking too much money for anyone here to afford. So premierleaguepass is dead.

Means we can see the ManU, Chelsea, Arsenal and ManC games if you have Sky Sports through the club TV channel, but there will be no legal way to watch the other Everton games.

*insert bad words here*

Haha just did then....Noooo!.... There are alternatives similar to plp that will work in a similar way. I will try and find them

When / If you do, go to PM ( to spare the blushes of GOT ) and give us all the low down...( best to give me the words of one syllable / assume no prior knowledge, dummies guide to, idiot proof version.)
Ta in advance

I will probably try for a month one of the online solutions before contemplating the Optus route as a last resort. And I mean absolute last resort.
All this could be spared if Foxtel brought back EvertonTV of course.
I think I may message them on facebook again and annoy them.

Sent Foxtel this message this morning. Doubt they'll bother to respond...

"Hey again. Now that the dust has settled I thought I'd ask again. Any possibility of getting more EPL team's channels for next season or sticking to the 6 only? What about EvertonTV? You used to show it last season. Are we a chance to have that back as well? You only need a few more teams and you have pretty much all games covered every round."

Lads, I just started a new job at Optus and even the employees are confused how this is going to work.

In the last 3 weeks alone we've had 2 'amendments' to the policy so I doubt that the setup in place now will be the final one.

Try not to stress too much as we have until August for the new season. The moment I hear of anything new I will pass it on immediately.

The most recent update now from catching up on it all is that BeIN sports is now available on Fetch TV for a fee of $14.95 a month, therefore meaning that everything new to Foxtel has acquired in response to losing the rights is also available with Optus (minus the specific club channels but that doesn't include EvertonTV anyway).

However, to gain FREE access to EPL you will need one of the following 24 month plans:
  • Postpaid mobile plan totaling $85 or more a month
  • Postpaid home broadband totaling $80 or more a month
  • Postpaid mobile broadband totaling $90 a month
There are other, cheaper plans available but will require a further $15 a month payment to gain access. The general rule is that it MUST be a postpaid plan more than $80.

EPL streaming does not count towards data usage.

NOTE: The quality of the access will vary depending on the quality of the router you use at home. If you choose to go with streaming to a phone, tablet or your tv via wifi, it may not be in full HD. It's recommended that you hard wire from the modem, or acquire a Fetch TV set top box, which can include other channels such as BBC Knowledge, UKTV, etc to keep the wife/girlfriend happy.

This is far from ideal, and I'm yet to suss out if you have an eligible postpaid mobile plan, if you can get EPL onto your TV. Shall let you all know when I do.

I genuinely think that Optus didn't anticipate winning the rights in the first place and have now hit the panic button trying to get all this sorted.

Lads, I just started a new job at Optus and even the employees are confused how this is going to work.

In the last 3 weeks alone we've had 2 'amendments' to the policy so I doubt that the setup in place now will be the final one.

Try not to stress too much as we have until August for the new season. The moment I hear of anything new I will pass it on immediately.

The most recent update now from catching up on it all is that BeIN sports is now available on Fetch TV for a fee of $14.95 a month, therefore meaning that everything new to Foxtel has acquired in response to losing the rights is also available with Optus (minus the specific club channels but that doesn't include EvertonTV anyway).

However, to gain FREE access to EPL you will need one of the following 24 month plans:
  • Postpaid mobile plan totaling $85 or more a month
  • Postpaid home broadband totaling $80 or more a month
  • Postpaid mobile broadband totaling $90 a month
There are other, cheaper plans available but will require a further $15 a month payment to gain access. The general rule is that it MUST be a postpaid plan more than $80.

EPL streaming does not count towards data usage.

NOTE: The quality of the access will vary depending on the quality of the router you use at home. If you choose to go with streaming to a phone, tablet or your tv via wifi, it may not be in full HD. It's recommended that you hard wire from the modem, or acquire a Fetch TV set top box, which can include other channels such as BBC Knowledge, UKTV, etc to keep the wife/girlfriend happy.

This is far from ideal, and I'm yet to suss out if you have an eligible postpaid mobile plan, if you can get EPL onto your TV. Shall let you all know when I do.

I genuinely think that Optus didn't anticipate winning the rights in the first place and have now hit the panic button trying to get all this sorted.
Thanks mate. Keep us posted. Good luck with your new position ;)

Sent Foxtel this message this morning. Doubt they'll bother to respond...

"Hey again. Now that the dust has settled I thought I'd ask again. Any possibility of getting more EPL team's channels for next season or sticking to the 6 only? What about EvertonTV? You used to show it last season. Are we a chance to have that back as well? You only need a few more teams and you have pretty much all games covered every round."
Thanks for your enquiry, George. At this time, we're expecting the 3 dedicated club channels for Man United, Liverpool & Chelsea, plus programming blocks for Arsenal, Man City & Tottenham on Fox Sports. You will be able to watch Everton's matches when they play the above clubs so can expect at least 12 matches plus FA Cup matches on ESPN & Captial One Cup on beIN SPORTS, depending on how they progress in the cups.I've let our channels team know that you're a fan of the blue half of Liverpool and would like Everton FC as well. http://community.foxtel.com.au/.../English.../td-p/127909 - Cheers, Jake

Thanks for your enquiry, George. At this time, we're expecting the 3 dedicated club channels for Man United, Liverpool & Chelsea, plus programming blocks for Arsenal, Man City & Tottenham on Fox Sports. You will be able to watch Everton's matches when they play the above clubs so can expect at least 12 matches plus FA Cup matches on ESPN & Captial One Cup on beIN SPORTS, depending on how they progress in the cups.I've let our channels team know that you're a fan of the blue half of Liverpool and would like Everton FC as well. http://community.foxtel.com.au/.../English.../td-p/127909 - Cheers, Jake
Thanks for the reply Jake. EvertonTV was on Eurosport last season(14/15 season). Hope that your channels team is seriously looking at other teams. Respectfully, 12 matches a season on a rival team's channel is hardly acceptable now is it? I think you'll find there are more Everton supporters in Australia than Tottenham, as an example. Strange choice really. It would stop me having to ditch a major part of my Foxtel package to get the Optus epl as a final resort. I know many Evertonians in Australia feel the same in the forums we are discussing this. Regards, George

From what i can gather its not going to cost me anymore to piss telstra off and go over to optus so I'll probably go down the fetch tv path, i was already paying for bein sports anyway so that going onto foxtel is already saving me 20 quid a month. Gonna trim foxtel down to the bare minimum as well as i watch netflix more than the foxtel movie channels anyway.

From what i can gather its not going to cost me anymore to piss telstra off and go over to optus so I'll probably go down the fetch tv path, i was already paying for bein sports anyway so that going onto foxtel is already saving me 20 quid a month. Gonna trim foxtel down to the bare minimum as well as i watch netflix more than the foxtel movie channels anyway.
How much is the fetch tv option? At a stretch I could trim down $35 from the multiroom and HD add ons.
Prefer not to. If a good quality stream option is available I'd rather that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back