• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Foxtel loses EPL to Optus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ditch Vodafone ( not locked in ) get a better bang for my buck plan from Optus, get the app. on phone, sling the game via the Chromecast thingy I already have on the TV = Sorted

Reading initial reviews on whirlpool, you will be disappointed with the quality of HD on anything other than the Optus Fetch box and the Apple TV (which still isn't proven). I would get a box mate as we are used to the amazing Foxtel HD.

May even consider Ditching my ISP which is capped at 100Gb. depends what deals they'll give me. Just for now there's a lot of Competition out there for my cash...not quite a buyers market, but there's deals to be done.

Unless you go with Optus who have the EPL unmetered, 100gb is nowhere near enough to watch EPL on. I would negotiate some deal with Optus to bring a few services over at a discount if possible.

Reading initial reviews on whirlpool, you will be disappointed with the quality of HD on anything other than the Optus Fetch box and the Apple TV (which still isn't proven). I would get a box mate as we are used to the amazing Foxtel HD.

Unless you go with Optus who have the EPL unmetered, 100gb is nowhere near enough to watch EPL on. I would negotiate some deal with Optus to bring a few services over at a discount if possible.
The fella i spoke to said it was the last day of the deal that i got. Were only supposed to get it if you took your mobile phone plan over but when i said mine wasn't up till December next year he put me on a $0 phone plan and said to just throw the sim card in the bin when it arrived lol.

The fella i spoke to said it was the last day of the deal that i got. Were only supposed to get it if you took your mobile phone plan over but when i said mine wasn't up till December next year he put me on a $0 phone plan and said to just throw the sim card in the bin when it arrived lol.
Hence me going for the month to month $30 mobile broadband plan for the ipad. Not that I need it but it's the cheapest option for me. Add $5 for the Fetch mini box to that.

thanks lids; @kithnou, @cronullasharks, Foxtel goes day after Euro final. Should give me time get it all set up and running.

I'll spend some of the money saved on beer and probably just waste the rest.
Just talk to Optus and find out the best plan/price that suits you. I switched my plan last Thursday and the Fetch STB was delivered on
Monday. They said it would take about 10 days.

There was a bit of messing around installing it but it's all up and running and we're very happy with it. See my posts from 203 on. Page 14.

My daughter is due for a new phone plan, so I am thinking just sign her up to the $30 plan which includes epl then watch it on my ipad via our home wifi.
Maybe try pushing it to the tv to see how that goes, but last season I watched most games on the ipad, so no real difference

My daughter is due for a new phone plan, so I am thinking just sign her up to the $30 plan which includes epl then watch it on my ipad via our home wifi.
Maybe try pushing it to the tv to see how that goes, but last season I watched most games on the ipad, so no real difference
Pay the extra $5 for the fetch mini box and watch it at its best mate.

Spoke to OPTUS; for all my ISP, Mobile, TV needs, I can get a better deal than with Foxtel for 30% less cash outlay, with the footy for free for the length of their deal with the Sky/EPL, not just one season.

and I get to stick it to foxtel.

I've heard about that. What's the deal?
You'll connect to the fetch box by Ethernet cable from your router ( wired connection is the fastest and best).

This is what people are finding reading whirlpool reviews...

Best ways to watch EPL based on reported Bitrate numbers

1. Fetch ~6.6Mbps Full 1080p HD (AppleTV unknown however suggested to be close)
2. Website ~3.75Mpbs 1080p HD, lower bitrate might be noticeable when cast from PC to large TV's
3. Mobiles – HD for Mobile screens via the app

To get anywhere near the qualty of HD we are getting with Foxtel now, only the Fetch option will suffice with the higher bitrate. It will chew up more data of of course for us not not with Optus, but it is the best viewing experience.

The other option I am looking at is the Satellite option. As that is what the pubs and bars will be using, I am guessing that it will be top HD quality as well, but I can't get a definitive answer from the incompetents at Optus just yet.

You'll connect to the fetch box by Ethernet cable from your router ( wired connection is the fastest and best).

This is what people are finding reading whirlpool reviews...

Best ways to watch EPL based on reported Bitrate numbers

1. Fetch ~6.6Mbps Full 1080p HD (AppleTV unknown however suggested to be close)
2. Website ~3.75Mpbs 1080p HD, lower bitrate might be noticeable when cast from PC to large TV's
3. Mobiles – HD for Mobile screens via the app

To get anywhere near the qualty of HD we are getting with Foxtel now, only the Fetch option will suffice with the higher bitrate. It will chew up more data of of course for us not not with Optus, but it is the best viewing experience.

The other option I am looking at is the Satellite option. As that is what the pubs and bars will be using, I am guessing that it will be top HD quality as well, but I can't get a definitive answer from the incompetents at Optus just yet.
That may be the way to go. $5 extra per month to watch it HD on the telly. I've got a 1000gb plan but only use about 150 per month, so shouldn't be any issues with data usage.
And I am only 60 metres from the exchange so get really good speeds too (by Australian standards)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back