• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Foxtel loses EPL to Optus

Status
Not open for further replies.
£11 per month?

If that's not an error in currency, then it's hardly worth it for Australians really.
I will be going the Optus for $35 per month route I think after negotiating a discount with Telstra of that amount.

You've heard of Brexit right, the almighty GBP has taken a bit of a hit. It was £8 just a few months back.

Just did a bit more digging, and FFS, if this site is to believed, then Sky won't be streaming the football option channels on Sky Go (props to the site for the picture used BTW). That likely leaves me to investigate the BeIN streaming option. I'll spend an extra $8 a month to not have to get out of bed to watch.

http://theniche-cache.com/football/...-skys-reclaimed-premier-league-coverage-in-nz

You've heard of Brexit right, the almighty GBP has taken a bit of a hit. It was £8 just a few months back.

Just did a bit more digging, and FFS, if this site is to believed, then Sky won't be streaming the football option channels on Sky Go (props to the site for the picture used BTW). That likely leaves me to investigate the BeIN streaming option. I'll spend an extra $8 a month to not have to get out of bed to watch.

http://theniche-cache.com/football/...-skys-reclaimed-premier-league-coverage-in-nz
hahaha

Absolutely agree you shouldn't be obligated to watch the match at a crazy hour only.

They lost their rights at the end of last season. Hence all the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

The new package from Sky TV will cost $120 for the season (£11 per month), which is a saving on the $199 PLP cost. The biggest downside is that if there are multiple games (e.g. Saturday arvo) there is a chance they won't be screening the Everton game. I'm also not sure the matches will be available to play on demand online later, so you'd have to either watch it live, catch a scheduled replay or DVR it.

Note: I tried VPN to view my Sky TV account when in Oz and Japan with no luck, they appear to have it blocked.

Sake, those links were boss

I've had a prick of a day installing the Optus STB, but I think the problem might be with a poor antenna connection. The installation
went OK until I got to the activation stage. The guide said I should have the letter that came in the box because it has the code I need to
tune it in.

Guess what. There was no letter in the box. I went online - Google - and was given an Optus site to go to.

Long story short, hours later, they'd sms'd it to me - no letter.

Anyway. it's tuned in but some of the channels didn't scan - the ones she likes! - and some disappeared off the free to air channel.

Life wasn't meant to be easy, and I'll be off to JB HiFi in the morning to see if I can get what I need to get a decent antenna signal.

I've had a [Poor language removed] of a day installing the Optus STB, but I think the problem might be with a poor antenna connection. The installation
went OK until I got to the activation stage. The guide said I should have the letter that came in the box because it has the code I need to
tune it in.

Guess what. There was no letter in the box. I went online - Google - and was given an Optus site to go to.

Long story short, hours later, they'd sms'd it to me - no letter.

Anyway. it's tuned in but some of the channels didn't scan - the ones she likes! - and some disappeared off the free to air channel.

Life wasn't meant to be easy, and I'll be off to JB HiFi in the morning to see if I can get what I need to get a decent antenna signal.
Have you tried turning it off and on again?

I got the Optus installation sorted today - bought new a new aerial cable and wall plate and it's all good. Except....

Channel ten didn't scan on Fetch and it disappeared off free to air, as well as one of the digital channels. I've auto tuned both
again but no go. It doesn't bother me much but my wife wants them back and she's grumpy. She wasn't overjoyed at the whole
thing in the first place as she's not interested in the Premier League and that's what it's all about.

Any ideas from any tech ITK's out there?

I got the Optus installation sorted today - bought new a new aerial cable and wall plate and it's all good. Except....

Channel ten didn't scan on Fetch and it disappeared off free to air, as well as one of the digital channels. I've auto tuned both
again but no go. It doesn't bother me much but my wife wants them back and she's grumpy. She wasn't overjoyed at the whole
thing in the first place as she's not interested in the Premier League and that's what it's all about.

Any ideas from any tech ITK's out there?

There seems to be a few issues liked this mentioned on Optus... Here's one https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/TV-Entertainment/Channel-10-and-affiliates/td-p/104627

Another one said they rescanned the channels then rebooted the box... A bit "Microsoft" support action plan, but maybe worth a shot ;)

Optus support seem to default to blaming the areal input

There seems to be a few issues liked this mentioned on Optus... Here's one https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/TV-Entertainment/Channel-10-and-affiliates/td-p/104627

Another one said they rescanned the channels then rebooted the box... A bit "Microsoft" support action plan, but maybe worth a shot ;)

Optus support seem to default to blaming the areal input
Thanks, mate. That occurred to me (in bed at about 2.00am), that if I switched off the STB and retuned free to air it might get those lost channels back, in fact there were two other digital channels missing. Well, it worked, so I switched the STB back on, tuned Fetch in again and it all
came on. Problem solved.

I say problem solved, but there is another issue to deal with. My modem drops out quite often and I have to turn it off and back on and
then wait for it to fire up, about 3 minutes. Trouble is, there's no signal to the TV while its off.

I'm going to try a different modem an Optus tech was telling me about a few weeks ago. He didn't guarantee it would solve the problem
but I'll have to give it a go. Thanks again for your help.

Commencing with the 2016-17 season, Optus will sub-licence exclusive free-to-air TV rights of one English Premier League (EPL) match per round to SBS for the next three seasons until 2018-2019.

SBS will broadcast matches live and in HD on its main channel (featuring every EPL team at least once throughout the season) as well as providing simultaneous live streaming. SBS will also show a replay of each match within 72 hours.

Under the 2018 FIFA World Cup sub-licence deal, SBS will retain simultaneous free-to-air rights to 25 of the matches and Optus will have exclusive rights to the whole tournament, with 39 exclusive live matches. Optus will deliver the entire 2018 FIFA World Cup across multiple platforms and devices.

SBS's 2018 FIFA World Cup free-to-air rights will include one live match per day and SBS will have first pick, including the opening match and all Australian matches. The deal also secures the free-to-air broadcast of four matches from the round of 16, two quarter finals, both semi-finals and the final. SBS will retain daily highlights rights, including every match from the tournament.

Optus will also have live rights across multiplatforms to other FIFA Events in the period 2017-2019, including the 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup and the 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup, with SBS holding free-to-air TV rights to some matches.

SBS Managing Director and Chief Executive, Michael Ebeid said: "International football is at the very heart of SBS and our purpose to inspire understanding between our diverse multicultural communities. We are pleased to partner with Optus to deliver a deal that gives football fans much more international football on free-to-air TV throughout the year.

"These innovative agreements disrupt the old models of TV delivery in Australia and also ensure SBS can responsibly invest in an ongoing commitment to providing fans with universal and free access to international football, in our rapidly changing media landscape."

Optus Chief Executive Officer, Allen Lew said: "Through our partnerships with SBS and the English Premier League, Optus is completely reinventing how Australians engage with football. We are delighted to be collaborating with SBS to give Australians an unrivalled viewing experience, with the option to watch football on the platform and device of their choice."

SBS Director Sport, Ken Shipp said: "The goal of SBS has always been to deliver the very best of world football to Australian audiences and in all of our agreements, SBS is forward looking and these arrangements are at the very cutting edge of sports rights."

I just rang up and swapped my internet from telstra to optus and got a deal $90 a month for unlimited data on the nbn plus fetch tv. That's cheaper than what i pay just for telstra internet a month.
That's a win for you there mate.
I renegotiated my services with Telstra, which I have Foxtel with, as well all my other services, and got discounted $50 per month. I'll use $35 of that to get a mobile broadband sim with Optus for my Ipad and a mini fetch tv box for my plasma TV.

Commencing with the 2016-17 season, Optus will sub-licence exclusive free-to-air TV rights of one English Premier League (EPL) match per round to SBS for the next three seasons until 2018-2019.

SBS will broadcast matches live and in HD on its main channel (featuring every EPL team at least once throughout the season) as well as providing simultaneous live streaming. SBS will also show a replay of each match within 72 hours.

Under the 2018 FIFA World Cup sub-licence deal, SBS will retain simultaneous free-to-air rights to 25 of the matches and Optus will have exclusive rights to the whole tournament, with 39 exclusive live matches. Optus will deliver the entire 2018 FIFA World Cup across multiple platforms and devices.

SBS's 2018 FIFA World Cup free-to-air rights will include one live match per day and SBS will have first pick, including the opening match and all Australian matches. The deal also secures the free-to-air broadcast of four matches from the round of 16, two quarter finals, both semi-finals and the final. SBS will retain daily highlights rights, including every match from the tournament.

Optus will also have live rights across multiplatforms to other FIFA Events in the period 2017-2019, including the 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup and the 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup, with SBS holding free-to-air TV rights to some matches.

SBS Managing Director and Chief Executive, Michael Ebeid said: "International football is at the very heart of SBS and our purpose to inspire understanding between our diverse multicultural communities. We are pleased to partner with Optus to deliver a deal that gives football fans much more international football on free-to-air TV throughout the year.

"These innovative agreements disrupt the old models of TV delivery in Australia and also ensure SBS can responsibly invest in an ongoing commitment to providing fans with universal and free access to international football, in our rapidly changing media landscape."

Optus Chief Executive Officer, Allen Lew said: "Through our partnerships with SBS and the English Premier League, Optus is completely reinventing how Australians engage with football. We are delighted to be collaborating with SBS to give Australians an unrivalled viewing experience, with the option to watch football on the platform and device of their choice."

SBS Director Sport, Ken Shipp said: "The goal of SBS has always been to deliver the very best of world football to Australian audiences and in all of our agreements, SBS is forward looking and these arrangements are at the very cutting edge of sports rights."
Optus are clearly making a push to get sports in Australia.

Optus are clearly making a push to get sports in Australia.

Glad they didn't sub let it back to foxtel and their out dated business model. I aim to talk to OPTUS early Aug. and see how far they will bend over to sign me up.
Foxtel $100
Mobile $36 x 2
ISP $50

Hopefully reduce that total by 40-50%, most of the reduction will be a Foxtel's expense

Like others I want to be able to watch matches any time and record if the mood takes me.

On the down side Brisbane NBN roll out/coverage is minimal as yet

Glad they didn't sub let it back to foxtel and their out dated business model. I aim to talk to OPTUS early Aug. and see how far they will bend over to sign me up.
Foxtel $100
Mobile $36 x 2
ISP $50

Hopefully reduce that total by 40-50%, most of the reduction will be a Foxtel's expense

Like others I want to be able to watch matches any time and record if the mood takes me.

On the down side Brisbane NBN roll out/coverage is minimal as yet
Do it before the end of July or they will charge you $15 per month for the EPL app which is now free until July 31.

The app will allow you to view replays whenever suits so no need to record. You will need a Fetch mighty box to record. Try and get that with your internet plan.

Do it before the end of July or they will charge you $15 per month for the EPL app which is now free until July 31.

The app will allow you to view replays whenever suits so no need to record. You will need a Fetch mighty box to record. Try and get that with your internet plan.

Ta, will do, forgot about the end of July thing. Thought I would end up with some sort of deal like that, will just see how low I can get them to go.

My original plan was ditch the Foxtel Sports package, which is a good 33% of my bill...put the frighteners on them to ditch the lot (no big loss really ) see if they can give me some sweeteners as a bonus.
Ditch Vodafone ( not locked in ) get a better bang for my buck plan from Optus, get the app. on phone, sling the game via the Chromecast thingy I already have on the TV = Sorted

May even consider Ditching my ISP which is capped at 100Gb. depends what deals they'll give me. Just for now there's a lot of Competition out there for my cash...not quite a buyers market, but there's deals to be done.

All with the added bonus of sticking it to the foxtel man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back