• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Foxtel loses EPL to Optus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks mate. That's me out then. I can only hope that Foxtel get EvertonTV back like last season.

Edit. If I can somehow work my way around this?

"Optus also announced a mini set-top box, or puck, much like Apple TV, by its pay TV partner Fetch that customers can use to watch the EPL, as well as Fetch's entertainment package on a larger screen. This is available to broadband subscribers of any service provider, however, they must have at least one Optus subscription, be that postpaid mobile or mobile broadband."

60$ a month + a 250$ set top box on a 2 year contract seems basically the cheapest option.

Too bad I'm bundled in with Telstra + foxtel for the next 2 years and don't feel like making a near $2000 commitment just to watch one single [Poor language removed] sports league..

On the plus side I got a villa mate who's happy he can still watch them in the championship without getting extorted.
But yeah, I am seriously fuming right now.

60$ a month + a 250$ set top box on a 2 year contract seems basically the cheapest option.

Too bad I'm bundled in with Telstra + foxtel for the next 2 years and don't feel like making a near $2000 commitment just to watch one single [Poor language removed] sports league..

On the plus side I got a villa mate who's happy he can still watch them in the championship without getting extorted.
But yeah, I am seriously fuming right now.
+1

Thanks mate. That's me out then. I can only hope that Foxtel get EvertonTV back like last season.

Edit. If I can somehow work my way around this?

"Optus also announced a mini set-top box, or puck, much like Apple TV, by its pay TV partner Fetch that customers can use to watch the EPL, as well as Fetch's entertainment package on a larger screen. This is available to broadband subscribers of any service provider, however, they must have at least one Optus subscription, be that postpaid mobile or mobile broadband."

I think with that last bit you've quoted, it's doable, but you'll need to have at least one device with an Optus contract to be eligible. Optus mobile is atrocious for coverage (I don't have reception in my own house with Optus), and the broadband is a rip off. Not only that, but another set top box means ANOTHER freckin' remote to lose down the back of the sofa.

The ploy they've made is just so, so naive. Thinking that everyone will just ditch there own provider to switch to Optus just for EPL is crazy. I understand the ploy, with the idea that everyone jumps ship, Optus secure some contracts and thus make a dent in the market share, meaning they can lower prices whilst they have the customer base to be able to afford it. Then whether they renew their EPL coverage or not after 3 years, people will stay on because they can't be bothered changing providers.

I'm seriously hoping that no one really buys into this and then Optus cut there losses and sell it to Foxtel.
Fox have made the move to televise Serie A, La Liga and The Bundesliga to try and compensate may save them from losing too many customers, if Optus ended up selling it back to them, Australia would have arguably the best High Definition football viewing platform on the planet.

I can't say I'm looking forward to dodgy streams.

I think with that last bit you've quoted, it's doable, but you'll need to have at least one device with an Optus contract to be eligible. Optus mobile is atrocious for coverage (I don't have reception in my own house with Optus), and the broadband is a rip off. Not only that, but another set top box means ANOTHER freckin' remote to lose down the back of the sofa.

The ploy they've made is just so, so naive. Thinking that everyone will just ditch there own provider to switch to Optus just for EPL is crazy. I understand the ploy, with the idea that everyone jumps ship, Optus secure some contracts and thus make a dent in the market share, meaning they can lower prices whilst they have the customer base to be able to afford it. Then whether they renew their EPL coverage or not after 3 years, people will stay on because they can't be bothered changing providers.

I'm seriously hoping that no one really buys into this and then Optus cut there losses and sell it to Foxtel.
Fox have made the move to televise Serie A, La Liga and The Bundesliga to try and compensate may save them from losing too many customers, if Optus ended up selling it back to them, Australia would have arguably the best High Definition football viewing platform on the planet.

I can't say I'm looking forward to dodgy streams.
Problem is I am contracted to the max with Telstra for all my services.

http://www.theage.com.au/business/m...eals-with-six-epl-giants-20160505-gon9sc.html

Foxtel inks delayed broadcast deals with six EPL giants

1462451079950.jpg

Foxtel customers will get access to the biggest clubs in the English Premier League. Photo: AP

Foxtel has struck back at Optus, after losing English Premier League rights to it last year, by signing new deals with six of the competition's biggest teams to broadcast the clubs' own channels.

As revealed by Fairfax Media on Sunday, Foxtel will carry 24-hour channels from Manchester United, Liverpool and Chelsea with additional programming from Arsenal, Manchester City and Tottenham, from July.

The newly signed deals are part of the pay TV provider's attempt to retain customers who were angry at the loss of EPL rights.

The broadcast of the games will be delayed – matches on Saturday at 3pm London time, which would have shown live in the early hours of Sunday morning, will now be available at 1pm local time.

The deal includes all home and away matches for the listed clubs, as well as pre-season games, old matches, documentaries and extra behind-the-scenes content.

However, the new deal will not include access to all matches of smaller clubs, including newly crowned Premier League champions Leicester City.

The new content will be included in Foxtel's sports package at no extra cost.

The deals will give subscribers access to these six clubs in the EPL, FA Cup and League Cup.

In November, Optus surprised the market by swooping on broadcast rights to the EPL, forking out $189 million over three years, understood to be more than double the $20 million a year Fox Sports now pays.

On Wednesday, Optus revealed its pricing for its EPL coverage – subscriptions will start at $15 per month and it will be free for those on Optus plans costing $85 or more.

However, those wanting to watch the EPL in Australia must have a mobile, broadband or mobile broadband service with Optus – a caveat that sparked fury among many consumers online.

Foxtel also struck a deal with beIN sports to move its three high-definition channels over to the regular sports pack, providing Champions League, Spain's La Liga, Germany's Bundesliga and Italy's Serie A.

Foxtel chief executive Peter Tonagh said the additional EPL content would make Foxtel's proposition more compelling and cement it as the home of European football.

"The addition of these dedicated new sports channels is a huge win for English football fans who subscribe to Foxtel," he said. "These channels, along with the recently announced beIN Sports channels, will be compulsory viewing for all fans of international football and will also complement the Fox Sports coverage of the local A-League competition.

"Our new EPL club partners are global brands in their own right and have large groups of dedicated supporters in Australia making up more than 75 per cent of the English football fan base here. Our customers will now have access to commentary, analysis, insight and behind-the-scenes action they've never seen before."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/business/m...epl-giants-20160505-gon9sc.html#ixzz47op3rQJG
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook

Foxtel are scrambling big time now. Its funny as they reported the amount of people leaving would be "minimal" when they lost out. I guess they started getting lots of requests from customers...
Will be interesting to see how or IF Optus will fire back with anything.

Either way there's no Everton channel, so I'll be sitting back and seeing how FetchTV with the Premiership pans out.

Foxtel are scrambling big time now. Its funny as they reported the amount of people leaving would be "minimal" when they lost out. I guess they started getting lots of requests from customers...
Will be interesting to see how or IF Optus will fire back with anything.

Either way there's no Everton channel, so I'll be sitting back and seeing how FetchTV with the Premiership pans out.
Oh well. I guess the Everton website videos it will have to be...along with streams

Are they full match replays on the everton website ?
No mate. You get a choice of 3 highlights videos plus interviews. 3 minutes ( which I chose this year far too much lol), 5 minutes and I believe 20 minutes?
I have read somewhere people have a way of viewing the Premier League Pass for NZ as well which I'll look into.

No mate. You get a choice of 3 highlights videos plus interviews. 3 minutes ( which I chose this year far too much lol), 5 minutes and I believe 20 minutes?
I have read somewhere people have a way of viewing the Premier League Pass for NZ as well which I'll look into.
Righto thanks kith. Let us know how you go with that.

I'll be honest, I'm confused. I was told about this Foxtel deal with the six clubs to take their channels today, but that the others clubs
matches would be shown a day later. I'm not hearing that last bit here, and Foxtel is now advertising their deal with the six, but doesn't
mention it.

My phone and broadband contracts are with Optus, which will be very handy if I do make the switch from Foxtel, but I don't
want to lose the rest of Foxtel sport or BEin Sport which I've been paying for since 2008, and which becomes part of the Foxtel
package in a week or so, saving me $20.

Like Degsy, don't know if I'll be able to get my wife to agree to anything that's going to cost because she's not happy about
the $115 a month we pay now - even though she spends friggin' hours watch Gok, Fashion Police, Selling Houses, etc.

We know a bit more now, but there's a way to go yet. Talking of which, I going to bed, goodnight.

I'll be honest, I'm confused. I was told about this Foxtel deal with the six clubs to take their channels today, but that the others clubs
matches would be shown a day later. I'm not hearing that last bit here, and Foxtel is now advertising their deal with the six, but doesn't
mention it.

My phone and broadband contracts are with Optus, which will be very handy if I do make the switch from Foxtel, but I don't
want to lose the rest of Foxtel sport or BEin Sport which I've been paying for since 2008, and which becomes part of the Foxtel
package in a week or so, saving me $20.

Like Degsy, don't know if I'll be able to get my wife to agree to anything that's going to cost because she's not happy about
the $115 a month we pay now - even though she spends friggin' hours watch Gok, Fashion Police, Selling Houses, etc.

We know a bit more now, but there's a way to go yet. Talking of which, I going to bed, goodnight.
Jus the six teams as of now. One live game from sbs that they will replay as well. That's it for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back