2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Perfect Everton Manager?

And I have thought this for years... Diego Simeone, having a tough time at the moment and probably out of our reach but he would be a good fit...
Innit, just throw the bank at him mate.

Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone is the highest-paid coach in the whole of European football according to L’Equipe.

The Argentine earns a monthly salary of €3.33m.

lol lol lol

We just have no midfield, the gaps are massive between players, I don't know what our shape is or what we are supposed to be trying to do in games.
It is technically a midfield problem but it is not just about the midfielders. The defenders do not stay connected and that stretches the team. We try to press without the backline joining. It creates space for the other team. The opposite of the point of pressing.

I really think it will depend on the result Saturday. If we lose we can't be better than 17th (without a weird goal difference swing) and that'll get the attention of the board. Maybe he stays anyway, but if we draw and especially if we win nothing will happen.

I think that's a bad process. You have 15 league games of evidence that say this isn't going well regardless of how Saturday turns out so that one game shouldn't swing it one way or the other. I just think that's how it'll go though.

My personal opinion on what we should do is sack him, look around for a couple weeks, and hopefully find someone we can hire with adequate experience building longer term and preferably some kind of track record for getting a team to play above their standing. It also would be good if as a rule they had a tactical style that was compatible with the PL.

I don't really have a list right now. I mentioned the Knutsen guy at Bodo/Glimt in the past and he does intrigue me but I couldn't seriously say if that's a good idea without looking into it more.

I was listening to a podcast recently where there was a quote - unrelating to Everton, but accurate nonetheless - "what you are witnessing on the pitch is a reflection of what is happening in the boardroom"

I wouldn't have hired Lampard because the body of work wasn't there. I liked his coaching appointments though. My instinct is the same as yours, it shouldn't come down to one game and it certainly shouldn't be a rushed appointment if he is fired. But, before we rush the knives out, we need to remember some of those shortlists that led to Benitez and Lampard. This is not a sane, measured process and it's doomed to fail again because there will be some lunatic inclusions that will be considered regardless of suitability.

I was thinking this myself, with things going a bit stale there (even though I think he'll turn it around) I think he'd maybe jump at the chance if we came calling. Big "if" though, I personally think after us knocking him back for Ancelotti that the ship has sailed there, the chance of a return from our end has been and gone imo.
Yes I think he will turn it around, likewise I think he would lead us on a bit if we put feelers out. At the same time I think that soft spot he has is still there.

I think Ancelotti would still be here if it wasn't for Moshiri.

I was listening to a podcast recently where there was a quote - unrelating to Everton, but accurate nonetheless - "what you are witnessing on the pitch is a reflection of what is happening in the boardroom"

I wouldn't have hired Lampard because the body of work wasn't there. I liked his coaching appointments though. My instinct is the same as yours, it shouldn't come down to one game and it certainly shouldn't be a rushed appointment if he is fired. But, before we rush the knives out, we need to remember some of those shortlists that led to Benitez and Lampard. This is not a sane, measured process and it's doomed to fail again because there will be some lunatic inclusions that will be considered regardless of suitability.
You're absolutely right.

But I think you have to still go for it. You've got to make the right decision now and hope you can make the right one again later. Maybe we sack him and we do something horrendous like bringing in Dyche or Martinez. It wouldn't mean we were wrong to sack him I don't think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back