2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you stop conceding shots and improve the 4th best defence in the league at the moment....

But how do we improve the attack ranked 18th?

Untill we start leaking like a siv, the amount of shots don't concern me because we've brought in very good defenders and it's not an issue. It means we're always in the game. We need to relieve the pressure from the defence before it becomes not about "luck"

The reason why I bring Spurs up in that open play stat is that while they're still conceding more shots...they scoring at the other end and winning games.
Conte is a manager who likes to defend in a low to mid-block and the launch devastating counter-attacks. Lampard is a manager who wants to dominate possession. We simply don't have the players to be ruthless in attack.

The massive concern is that we aren't restricting teams to low value shots. We have conceded 14 goals but have an xG of 22.92. So we should have conceded another 9 goals. Tarks and Coady may be good defenders but they also rely on us defending deep, which means there are massive gaps between the defence, midfield and attack and we look disjointed and create very little.

Oh yes sorry.

I also agree Tim. But I did expect a fair few changes. It just shows how important those players are defensively and that Iwobi is our only creative spark.

That being said, we created more chances in the first half today than we did v Leicester, with our 'first team' playing.

Basically, today I'd have brought in Vinagre, Mina and Patterson, because Patterson is our first-choice RB, and probably left Tarkowski in. We couldn't play Onana and Gueye, and everyone's wanted Garner to get a game, but I would have started Iwobi with Gordon and Maupay, probably played Davies in midfield (nobody else) or if he'd have wanted to try a three, played Holgate like he did.

We don't want to face up to it because it's easier to say it's on the formation etc but three of their goals come from our players giving them the ball - Patterson did it twice and Holgate once. We also looked worse defensively when we went to a 433. It was a mess.
Lampard had an absolute shocker and I've lost all faith

The stuff about needing to keep players happy is just utter rubbish and makes him look weak. We don't need to watch these abysmal squad players put in even more spineless performances.

If we had played our best available 11, we had a decent chance of winning. Why did it not happen? I have no words for how frustrated I am at that selection

Which is a time thing surely? Expecting things to "go wrong" is the same as expecting things to go right given time.

Our defence is still keeping us in a game regardless of conceding 70 shots per game. It's up to the attack to take it.

If it was like last season where we'd be out of games by half time...then it's a worry. It's not for me at the moment as that's not happening.
It's a time thing to an extent of course, but my worry is we've seen it get worse as the season's gone on. As in, we played decent in that run of draws (Forest aside) and then built up real momentum after the derby and that West Ham win. Ground something out v S'ton and since then, Palace aside, it's been getting worse, even with the 'first team' available and playing.

I guess my take would be, what's the question? Is he the guy to lead Everton back to top of table finishes and trophies? Maybe (probably) not. Is he the guy who can probably get EFC back to some stability, clear out year and years of bad leadership and culture and wasted wages, and return the club to something that someone else can then take forward? I still think so.

I know it's harsh, but the club is not a top manager away from high level success. Not even close. The issues are too deeply rooted.
You may be right but he needs results. If we lose Saturday he’s getting into dangerous Benitez territory and will start losing fans. Whether or not Moshiri sticks or twists during the WC remains to be seen or he gives him January.

The problem I have is we are in November and there doesn’t seem to be any patters of play emerging and our attacking play is tragic, all comes from the training pitch. He’s done well making us more solid by bringing in the two new CB’s but ultimately goals win games and we don’t score any.

Mate I'm just a frustrated blue who would like to see us lift a cup before I snuff it!
Same... i mean I was 2 months old when we last won a trophy. So I feel the pain.

We aren't winning a trophy with this squad, though. This squad, as it is, might just be about good enough to not get relegated. That's how crap we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back