Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Gareth Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.
and if that wasn't enough, he gets stripped by Jason Puncheon which leads to another goal. über-gash this lad.

[video=youtube;200SQrmy2pw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=200SQrmy2pw[/video]

...absolutely agree that pace isn't an issue, he's been slow since he made his debut so it's not a 'new' factor. What will be important is his desire to be a success or has he been spoiled by riches. If his attitude is right and he still wants to play I think he'd be a good acquisition.

Age has become way to big a factor when looking at a player.
A lot of premiership clubs have players well into their 30's performing very well week after week...Ferdinand,Giggs,Lampard,Distin,Gerrard and many More.Barry is at least a couple of years young than most mentioned above.
If a club could get two or three years service from Barry it would prove to be a good investment.
I should also point out that he could cover at full back as well as that is where he played as a younger man.

It may not be the player that we would have picked but his signing would make sense for us and a lot of other clubs besides.
Remember Utd brought in Hargreaves and Larrsson late in their careers and they certainly were not players Utd supporters would have expected to see.

Hargreaves is only 32 now?????

It's the wages for me, will he take a drop in wages and come??? People seem to think Man City with subsidise his wages for us, but will they??

Cannot believe you lot think this guy will help us. In no way is he better than Leon Osman.
Maybe you're confused. We talking about the guy who is easily pushed off the ball, has never played a "killer" ball or pass of any note, and kicks the ball like a 9 year old girl

It's the wages for me, will he take a drop in wages and come??? People seem to think Man City with subsidise his wages for us, but will they??

Well think of it this way:

They either pay 100% of his wages for him to sit in the reserves as they aren't interested in him
Or they loan him out and pay only 50% of his wages - they're saving a substantial sum over the soccer season.

...this appears to be the stumbling block. The player doesn't want to take a salary cut, we can't meet his pay demand and City wont subsidise the move. If it happens something will have to give.

Well think of it this way:

They either pay 100% of his wages for him to sit in the reserves as they aren't interested in him
Or they loan him out and pay only 50% of his wages - they're saving a substantial sum over the soccer season.

It's not as if City need to save a few quid though, they might keep him for cover. Even still, at 50% we would still be forking out 60k per week.

I'd have Leon Britton before him, he will suit Martinez's style of play in my humble view.

It's not as if City need to save a few quid though, they might keep him for cover. Even still, at 50% we would still be forking out 60k per week.

I'd have Leon Britton before him, he will suit Martinez's style of play in my humble view.
I hope you can provide suitable stats to back up this outrageous statement.

He's not very good imo, but he's still better than Osman, and players are numbers, and he's better than no one. With Gibson being injured a lot, it's nice to have options.

If it goes through, i won't be unhappy, but won't be ecstatic like i was when we signed Mirallas, could turn out to be a tidy bit of business.

I'd rather have ossie to be honest always thought he was better than barry but i suppose they are different types of players

He was the better player out of him and Allen IMO. Again a bit lightweight though.

I reckon Essien will be up for grabs for a reasonable fee or loan towards the end of this window.

Essien is finished though.

It's a real shame really. Cause he was ridiculously talented, infact he still is, but his knees have let him down, when he was on top of his game, you sat there and thought '****ing hell, we let him through our grasp, AGAIN, he's a top top player', hope he can refind some form, cause it's terrible to see Injuries ruin a player, unless it's Gerrard.

Essien is finished though.

It's a real shame really. Cause he was ridiculously talented, infact he still is, but his knees have let him down, when he was on top of his game, you sat there and thought '****ing hell, we let him through our grasp, AGAIN, he's a top top player', hope he can refind some form, cause it's terrible to see Injuries ruin a player, unless it's Gerrard.

Couldn't agree more he was the most influential mid in the league for a season or two. Tremendous drive and energy and a good player too.

Surely he could sit deep and break up play? I'm not too sure what his injuries where TBH. I just thought it never worked out at Madrid for him.

Couldn't agree more he was the most influential mid in the league for a season or two. Tremendous drive and energy and a good player too.

Surely he could sit deep and break up play? I'm not too sure what his injuries where TBH. I just thought it never worked out at Madrid for him.

He was brilliant.

But he got a couple of serious knee injuries back-to-back, and it made him lose his agility and pace really, which was a shame. He was just on loan at Madrid, obviously Mourinho knew of his talent, but after them knee injuries, he just isn't an Elite player anymore, he was mainly utilised as a LB last year if i remember right?
But only 20 games last year, and he didn't make the bench at all on Wednesday, he's finished, sadly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back