Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Gareth Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.
In an incredible drunken mix up Gareth Barry is on his way to Madrid for 100 million pounds while Gareth Bale has been loaned to Everton for a season with Man city paying his wages. Sh1t happens.

Age has become way to big a factor when looking at a player.
A lot of premiership clubs have players well into their 30's performing very well week after week...Ferdinand,Giggs,Lampard,Distin,Gerrard and many More.Barry is at least a couple of years young than most mentioned above.
If a club could get two or three years service from Barry it would prove to be a good investment.
I should also point out that he could cover at full back as well as that is where he played as a younger man.

It may not be the player that we would have picked but his signing would make sense for us and a lot of other clubs besides.
Remember Utd brought in Hargreaves and Larrsson late in their careers and they certainly were not players Utd supporters would have expected to see.

Firstly Hargreaves, born in 1981, was 26 when Utd signed him in the summer of 2007.

Secondly, AS IF you are suggesting Barry delivers performances up to the standard of Ferdinand, Giggs, Lampard, Distin or Gerrard. Or Larsson, or Hargreaves for that matter. He hasn't got the same level of talent as ANY of those named players, and never has done.

Thirdly, the way we deploy our fullbacks makes it an absolute necessity that they are rapid. It has been accepted by everyone on here that Barry is not a pacy player, and never has been.

Fourthly, there is no guarantee that Barry has two or three years' of prem-level play left in him. Is it possible? Yes. Is it worth gambling a transfer fee on? No.

But yes, in the correct circumstances bringing him in could be a good move. As has been said over and over, on loan with City covering the majority of his ridiculous wage he would be a good pickup for squad depth who would play a lot as cover in midfield due to being better than Osman in the CM/DM positions. That doesn't make any of your outlandish claims true, however.

Why would City loan him out? Not like he's a youngster who needs experience, just means if they loan him:
1. He'll be worth virtually nothing next summer
2. They will probably be picking up half his wages.

Better for them to sell him for a million or two and let another club thrash out wages with him - i imagine there would be some takers.

Firstly Hargreaves, born in 1981, was 26 when Utd signed him in the summer of 2007.

Secondly, AS IF you are suggesting Barry delivers performances up to the standard of Ferdinand, Giggs, Lampard, Distin or Gerrard. Or Larsson, or Hargreaves for that matter. He hasn't got the same level of talent as ANY of those named players, and never has done.

Thirdly, the way we deploy our fullbacks makes it an absolute necessity that they are rapid. It has been accepted by everyone on here that Barry is not a pacy player, and never has been.

Fourthly, there is no guarantee that Barry has two or three years' of prem-level play left in him. Is it possible? Yes. Is it worth gambling a transfer fee on? No.

But yes, in the correct circumstances bringing him in could be a good move. As has been said over and over, on loan with City covering the majority of his ridiculous wage he would be a good pickup for squad depth who would play a lot as cover in midfield due to being better than Osman in the CM/DM positions. That doesn't make any of your outlandish claims true, however.

Gareth Barry is one of these footballers who does the crap jobs that nobody notices or appreciates. I'm not his biggest fan but the games I have seen him for Man City he effectively breaks the play up and hands over the ball to the more skilful in the team. Yes he is not glamorous and he is not going to set the world alight but he could be just what we need. If Barry can sit in front of the back 3/4 depending how we play and act as a shield, I feel he could be very important for us. His signing and role in the team as the 'water carrier'. Would alleviate any pressure on Barkley/Mirallas etc to express themselves knowing there is someone to mop up behind.

I think for a year long loan whilst Martinez decides who could fill the position long term is a no brainer for me.

Bale in Real will be the biggest flop in the history of football

I agree, He needs to practically score a hat trick in every game including against Barcelona and Champions league final for every year of his contract to justify his price tag. The pressure that lad is going to be under is huge. I just think in a team with Ronaldo he may pale into insignificance.

It's going to be interesting to watch....

Cannot believe you lot think this guy will help us. In no way is he better than Leon Osman.

Did nobody watch the Southampton game last season?

[video=youtube;-ZKzuhc58es]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZKzuhc58es[/video]

and if that wasn't enough, he gets stripped by Jason Puncheon which leads to another goal. über-gash this lad.

Fellaini was ****ing ****e against Wigan last season, I seen a few games last season when the like of Carzola, Silva, Rooney, Kagawa, Dembele were ****e. Barry would improve our first team, ideally we'd sign someone pacier, younger and can play tippy tappy, tickky tacky football.

Barry Gareth joining Everton could go one way or t'other at his age and stage of his career......he could be Neville-esque, and then again he could be the new Paul Power.

Do you want the gamble that could end up all pointy, or all Power ( minus the tache)?

Cannot believe you lot think this guy will help us. In no way is he better than Leon Osman.

Did nobody watch the Southampton game last season?

[video=youtube;-ZKzuhc58es]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZKzuhc58es[/video]

Was that filmed with a bag of water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back