Gareth Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly can't even see Barry asking for massive wages, I know there was a bit of drama when he left Villa but I honestly think his reasons were purely footballing, he'd achieved all he was ever going to at Villa and he wanted to go play Champions League football and go to a club where he can win something.

He seems the type who really enjoys playing football and is just happy doing that, I think he has enjoyed his time here and I just can't see him asking for massive wages.

Martinez loves football, he loves it so much he brings out the love in other people. He also loves Everton and who doesn't love Everton.

The reason why the oldies are staying or coming back is because of the aura that Martinez has brought, he wants players and staff to love footy. Barry loves football, I reckon he'll sign a two year contract with an option of a third but he'll most probably end up as a coach here after two seasons.

...thinking back to Bill's Blue Blood speech at the awards night, he specifically wished Lukaku and Deleufeu all the best 'wherever they go next season', suggesting he hopes Deleufeu will be here. He said no such thing about Barry, so perhaps he's staying and its a done deal.

I feel privileged to have same him play week in, week out this season. Even with all the talent available to them, City were mad to let him go, if he'd play 20 to 25 games for them this season I think they'd have had the league trophy in their hands a week or two ago.

Desperate for him to stay but, if he leaves, then so be it and we'll wish him well.

He's in a side that suits him down to the ground and has a manager that quite clearly believes in him. Pellegrini didn't obviously believe in Gareth otherwise he wouldn't have loaned him out. Add to that he and his family are really, really settled in the North West, he'd get a decent contract here too, suspect we'd offer him between 50-60k on a 2yr with the potential for 3rd contract, and IMO, he'd take it. As Roberto says, more about football for him than money now.

...regardless of his undoubted quality on the pitch, I suspect he's a positive influence and excellent role model behind the scenes. Really important at any club to have the right characters and I get the impression that is a tag that can be applied to Barry.

i like him but i would have to think long and hard about signing him.
the age and wages should really be considered.
if he can come in for 50-60k on a 2 year contract then id say yes. if he wants more and longer then id consider looking elsewhere.
gibson is 26 , mccarthy is 23 , barry is 33..... id ideally like someone around 23-26 to come in and mix it up with those 3 aswell as a youngster from the everton youth to be blooded in this area (its looking like its gonna be ryan ledson).

I feel privileged to have same him play week in, week out this season. Even with all the talent available to them, City were mad to let him go, if he'd play 20 to 25 games for them this season I think they'd have had the league trophy in their hands a week or two ago.

Desperate for him to stay but, if he leaves, then so be it and we'll wish him well.
So glad that my mental image when i think of him is no longer of this game

But of this

Still amazed by how well he did in that game given he hadn't played in ages and was in a new team.

I think he will not sign - he will have other offers and will end up taking one of them.

Why wouldn't he stay and play for our manager, with other great players and fans who appreciate him at this stage of his career? Judging from interviews in the past with him, I'd say the likely scenario is that he'll stay with us.

i like him but i would have to think long and hard about signing him.
the age and wages should really be considered.
if he can come in for 50-60k on a 2 year contract then id say yes. if he wants more and longer then id consider looking elsewhere.
gibson is 26 , mccarthy is 23 , barry is 33..... id ideally like someone around 23-26 to come in and mix it up with those 3 aswell as a youngster from the everton youth to be blooded in this area (its looking like its gonna be ryan ledson).
Normally I would agree with that sentiment, but I think that Gareth Barry is such a quality player (even now in the latter stages of his career) that he would be good for at least another two years and offers leadership and a solid example to our younbger players. I think that his stability is what has helped young McCarthy to settle in so well too.
I would definitely sign him up...can't be any worse to having Phil Neville arseing around in his mid thirties and just shouting and pointing and punting the ball up the pitch. Barry is a completely different class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back