Gareth Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel privileged to have same him play week in, week out this season. Even with all the talent available to them, City were mad to let him go, if he'd play 20 to 25 games for them this season I think they'd have had the league trophy in their hands a week or two ago.

Desperate for him to stay but, if he leaves, then so be it and we'll wish him well.

He's ace, but Fernadinho and Yaya are a devastating good combo. Doubt they would be any better off if he played instead of either of them, especially Toure.

He's ace, but Fernadinho and Yaya are a devastating good combo. Doubt they would be any better off if he played instead of either of them, especially Toure.

Agree on Toure, but can you imagine being able to rotate the three of them ? Resting Fernandinho on a fairly regular basis and Toure less often, keeping all three of them fresh. Both Toure and Fernandinho must have played 40+ games this season. I'm just thankful that his face didn't fit with Pellegrini.

We have been rewarded this season with him not having been run into the ground the season before. If we could play him 2 in 3 games it would be a benefit - but that requires having rotational options. A lot hangs in the balance because of Gibsons ability to pick up injuries, do we persist or move him on? Could you imagine how we would have gotten on if McCarthy had picked up a sizeable injury? We know we need options in midfield. Once upon a time we were screaming out for wide players and we were overloaded with central types - now the position is reversed.
Diame at West Ham might be an option but I get the impression of him that he is constantly touting himself looking for the mega money move to a CL side. Who at the sides being relegated could be considered first choice back ups in CM?
Back to Barry, a lot will depend on how much of a paycut he'll be happy with - we have supplemented his pay from City this term, with them paying the vast vast majority - thats part of why they are looking to get shut. He's a player, with a PL medal, tons of experience having come through at Villa into the first team at about 18yo and not only will be a fine example to a lot of the younger players we have but also have a lot to teach about his position and the nuances of the game at the top level.

(I believe we are topping up his weekly wage by 45-50k, its a hell of a lot and rumours go that hes pulling 100-115k weekly at city - no confirmation of this so dont quote me)

Agree on Toure, but can you imagine being able to rotate the three of them ? Resting Fernandinho on a fairly regular basis and Toure less often, keeping all three of them fresh. Both Toure and Fernandinho must have played 40+ games this season. I'm just thankful that his face didn't fit with Pellegrini.

Yeah true, but then have you seen the list of midfielders they have?
http://www.mcfc.co.uk/players
Reckon a 33 year old Barry would get 10 games tops to be honest, he's great and the City fans seem to agree, but I doubt they dropped points through not having him.
He's an asset to anyone, but he's just not an exciting name in a squad full of game changers, if that makes sense, and if you look through that list, it would be hard to choose him as a starter very often at all.

That being said, he's better than his reputation by a mile and if picked would certainly not let the team down, and for us was majestic, but getting a decent run of football would certainly of helped.

Do the right thing GarBar. We love you and I know you love us too, you finely chiseled Adonis.

Well it is down to next week. Think wages are a sticking point but he may well fancy continuing to play in the PL and Europe. I think the only offers here would be from clubs lower than us but maybe tempted to go to the USA for a final big pay packet. For me only worth a 2 year deal at best.

I wonder if Roberto wants to play McCarthy in that deeper position with Gibson as the back up. Just with him not making a move to make it permanent like.

Well it is down to next week. Think wages are a sticking point but he may well fancy continuing to play in the PL and Europe. I think the only offers here would be from clubs lower than us but maybe tempted to go to the USA for a final big pay packet. For me only worth a 2 year deal at best.
Absolutely no chance he would get anywhere near the amount of money in MLS as he would signing for Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back