Gerard Deulofeu

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the echo tonight. Sorry if already posted but some key points about the deal explained by Martinez.

Suggestions have been made that Barca might re-sign Deulofeu even if they had no intention of using him just so they could make a profit on him but this theory has been dismissed by the Everton boss.

Martinez said: “They can’t do that. There are certain things in the deal. They can’t take him back in the winter so they can’t take him back in January. It can only be at the end of the season. It is 9million Euros for the first year and 12million Euros in the second year.

“If they take him back they can’t sell him for a season, so he has to stay in the first-team squad for a season.

“At the end of that if they decide to sell him we have got first rights of getting him back or we have got a big percentage of that deal. There is nothing we can do if they activate it.

“That was the deal and the only way we could access the player in the terms that we wanted. I’m delighted with the deal.”

From that statement I am inferring that Gerald is here on some kind of a glorified loan deal and that if Barcelona "decide" to take him back they can do so.

At the end of the day it was a silly deal. We should have bought him outright but barca must have believes he may come good with this deal in place.
It was well documented at the time, and again today, that this was the only deal Barca were willing to do. If Barca do buy him back we get a 3m euro profit and a % of any future sale, as well as Deulofeu playing well enough that Barca want him back.

Not sure how that is silly?

From the very start we all knew the terms of the deal. Barca know exactly the potential of Deulofeu and were not just going to let him walk away at a fraction of his value. He has the potential to be a 50m player in the future.

The only question I would ask is : If Barca activate the release clause next summer, can Deulofeu refuse to leave ?

So after two years Barca's buy back clause expires? They can have him for 9m next summer or 12m the following summer, but after that he's ours ours ours?

I'm gonna have the serious squits until 1 September 2017.

Just thinking about Martinez saying we have first refusal. So Barca could buy him back from us for 9m next year, then demand we pay them (e.g.) 15m to have him back?

Makes me feel seasick this deal.

I can't see him going back to Barca. It's just an interesting insight into a deal for an in-form player of what could happen.

Bojan had a similar deal before ending up at Stoke -

"On 22 July 2011 A.S. Roma bought Bojan for a fee of €12 million. The sale includes a buyback clause giving Barcelona the option to re-sign Bojan in 2012 or obligatory in 2013, although with the option of Roma paying an additional €28 million to retain the player."

We'll make money off him either way

Just thinking about Martinez saying we have first refusal. So Barca could buy him back from us for 9m next year, then demand we pay them (e.g.) 15m to have him back?

Makes me feel seasick this deal.
if barca buy him back for 9m in summer 2016 they couldn't sell him until summer 2017 at which point we'd have first refusal

Well they have a buy back clause, we've known that all along.

Yes, a "buy back clause" in the event of either Del wanting away or EFC deciding we wanted to sell.

They would have first option.

But going by what Bobby says, Barcelona have the power to enforce a return themselves.

To me that is a loan deal in any man's language.

Or am I reading it wrong?

Yes, a "buy back clause" in the event of either Del wanting away or EFC deciding we wanted to sell.

They would have first option.

But going by what Bobby says, Barcelona have the power to enforce a return themselves.

To me that is a loan deal in any man's language.

Or am I reading it wrong?
That would be first option on him, not a buy back clause. Buy back clauses mean there is a certain amount of money where if Barca offer it we have to accept it. It's like a buyout clause but it only applies to one club. Barca's one on Deulofeu lasts for 2 seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back