Golf 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
McIlroy is playing a very dangerous game here. His team are five up. It's cool heads needed tomorrow, not this nonsense. Talk about giving a beaten team a surge of adrenaline with which to strike back tomorrow. A clown.
I disagree. That's taken the wind out if the American sail, the European players will be annoyed by that, be amazed if McIlroy doesnt hammer his opponent tomorrow.

The Americans should be flying but all anyone wants to talk about is that incident and Cantlay being a money obsessed [Poor language removed].

They'll throw Johnson under the bus before 6pm tomorrow

I disagree. That's taken the wind out if the American sail, the European players will be annoyed by that, be amazed if McIlroy doesnt hammer his opponent tomorrow.

The Americans should be flying but all anyone wants to talk about is that incident and Cantlay being a money obsessed [Poor language removed].

They'll throw Johnson under the bus before 6pm tomorrow
Rory has played well - but I wonder if frustration got the better of him in that last match as they lost that from a good position. Let's face it, it's not unknown for him to bottle things or let the pressure get on top of him. A huge day for him tomorrow. If he wins and Europe wins, he'll be vindicated. If he loses, people will question his mentality. Worse, if Europe loses, he'll be humiliated.

Rory has played well - but I wonder if frustration got the better of him in that last match as they lost that from a good position. Let's face it, it's not unknown for him to bottle things or let the pressure get on top of him. A huge day for him tomorrow. If he wins and Europe wins, he'll be vindicated. If he loses, people will question his mentality. Worse, if Europe loses, he'll be humiliated.
Wasn't frustration during the match i dont think. They just lost to really good golf. Cantlay birdied the last 3 holes and made the big putts.

Definitely frustration afterwards though but that is natural. Used correctly, it can be motivation tomorrow

Let's be honest, a little bit of spice is good in sport. They don't have to be friends.

He seemed genuinely pissed off that he was in his way. McIlroy plays well when he's pissed off.

The caddies an idiot for doing it but Rory’s an idiot for reacting. He should have just reminded him they’re 5 down. I can’t stand Cantlay, looks like a rich American kid whose parents paid his way out of drunk driving accident that killed a kid. The tight meff wants paying to play in the Ryder cup
Joe LaCava is never an idiot. Here's his list of prominent bags: Freddie, Davis, Leonard, Tiger, Cantlay. He knew what he was doing.

Reality is that Rory is one of twelve golfers. The price of pumping him up to elevate twelve golfers on his side is cheap, and he's at the back end of his career. It's a good risk to run, from his perspective. If the Americans lose, it's on Zach. If they win, he contributed.

Wasn't frustration during the match i dont think. They just lost to really good golf. Cantlay birdied the last 3 holes and made the big putts.

Definitely frustration afterwards though but that is natural. Used correctly, it can be motivation tomorrow

Let's be honest, a little bit of spice is good in sport. They don't have to be friends.
I could argue that the main reason people care about the Ryder Cup today is the Ballesteros-Azinger feud. Brookline just tossed gasoline on an already burning fire. The media loves narratives to sell, the Ryder Cup has become full of them and the violations of golfing norms are the point. It's no different than 16 at Phoenix.

Joe LaCava is never an idiot. Here's his list of prominent bags: Freddie, Davis, Leonard, Tiger, Cantlay. He knew what he was doing.

Reality is that Rory is one of twelve golfers. The price of pumping him up to elevate twelve golfers on his side is cheap, and he's at the back end of his career. It's a good risk to run, from his perspective. If the Americans lose, it's on Zach. If they win, he contributed.

I could argue that the main reason people care about the Ryder Cup today is the Ballesteros-Azinger feud. Brookline just tossed gasoline on an already burning fire. The media loves narratives to sell, the Ryder Cup has become full of them and the violations of golfing norms are the point. It's no different than 16 at Phoenix.

I didn’t mean he’s an idiot in terms of it being a stupid thing to do for his team, I was talking more in terms of just being a rat. I’m presuming everyone in here plays golf, you just wouldn’t do it. I know it’s only players that win it but it’s not exactly in the spirit of the Nicklaus-Jacklin Award

he clealy is an idiot, he behaved like one and will rigtly be called one.

Imagine being a butler and celebrating like you've done anything at all other that suck off a republican in the changies

I didn’t mean he’s an idiot in terms of it being a stupid thing to do for his team, I was talking more in terms of just being a rat. I’m presuming everyone in here plays golf, you just wouldn’t do it. I know it’s only players that win it but it’s not exactly in the spirit of the Nicklaus-Jacklin Award
He's ineligible to win the award anyway.

I don't approve of the behavior - good way to get booted from your IRL foursome or friendly group - but the history of the Ryder Cup post-concession is riddled with nonsense. People watch the contest because they respect Lombardi, not Landry. Winning is the only thing.

Golf is perhaps the only human activity more full of hypocrisy than politics.

Was lucky enough to be at Wentworth for all four days. The team camaraderie was starting to build there you could feel it.

I agree 100% with McGinley it's good to see the odd spat. Yes not in the true nature of golf "eticate" but is a fiery contest of pride. Play for the team play for yourself.

American tatics completely wrong the fairways are real tight and the rough Holly [Poor language removed]! I've been surprised no 2irons or 2hybrids being used bear in mind these guys hit then nigh 300yrds.

Gonna be proper intense that's for sure

UTFE

Oh, I love a bit of spice - as a neutral. But if my side is 5 up needing only 4 more points to win, spice is potentially a distraction I can do without.

It shouldn't matter, of course. It'll take some bottle job to lose now - but that's the trap for McIlroy now. If Europe does lose...

It was poor form from LaCava, he was told to pipe down and get off the green by Rory and then went back in for more. It was unprofessional, poor etiquette and not in the spirit of the game

For that reason, USA will get their arsed handed to them today by Europe and I wouldn't be surprised to see a 20.5 to 7.5 victory

Nah only joking (on the score not the LaCava incident as it wasn't acceptable)

I can see the USA giving it a good go and I'm going for a 15 - 13 victory to Europe. I expect Europe's big boys to secure the required points (Rahm, Rory, Viktor, Rose, Fleetwood)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back