Golf 2024

And you would have to imagine if it's a fatal traffic collision there would be police lights on especially when it's still dark. Seems like a case of I'm a high profile person I won't stop for no one

Obviously none of us know Scheffler personally but it just seems that he has such a quiet persona, from what we see and what others say about him, I really doubt that this was it.

Dame Laura Davies was saying that it was very confusing and it was just an hour after the incident so things were still getting set up, etc. Time will tell, but it does seem like he was focused on getting through and it was just a bit chaotic.

That Darlington bloke who was there and reported it said that Scheffler didn’t realise it was police and just thought it was security.

Even if it’s “just” security, surely you stop and follow their instructions?
As I understand it, this kind of stuff happens on the regular at PGA events. It just doesn't end in an arrest.

The Louisville Police Department is known for being aggressive. It's like dealing with the Georgia State Police. This seems like an occasion where his team was not on the ball. He should know not to screw with these local cops.

I could equally argue that the PGA shoulders some blame here, for not having found a way to solve the problem of ensuring the golfers can reach the course on time in the event of the unexpected, or communicate that they don't need to take extreme measures to make a tee time.

Is this generally the case that golfers drive themselves to the course? Only reason I ask is a friend of mine used to help out at a pro tennis tournament and all the players had volunteers that would drive them to and from the venue

He drove with the police officer attached to the car for about 10 yards. That’s what I think the assault charge is based on

I wonder if it was like the Goonies where the kid in the car grabs the lads hand on the bike and speeds up. Scheffler for giggles grabbing a copper and flooring it for 10 yards as a joke.

Only one conclusion

Guilty, 2 year Golf ban and give others a chance of winning.

I wonder if it was like the Goonies where the kid in the car grabs the lads hand on the bike and speeds up. Scheffler for giggles grabbing a copper and flooring it for 10 yards as a joke.

Only one conclusion

Guilty, 2 year Golf ban and give others a chance of winning.
Haha. I’ve been thinking about what this must have looked like this morning and keep coming back to the image of the police officer hanging on for dear life while Scheffler pokes and prods him with a lob wedge.

Is this generally the case that golfers drive themselves to the course? Only reason I ask is a friend of mine used to help out at a pro tennis tournament and all the players had volunteers that would drive them to and from the venue
Yes, and if I had to guess it's because a pro golfer has a "arresting me is a bad vibe" cache a volunteer does not.

It's a little easier to set up a pre-planned route for volunteers in an urban area than it is to set the same thing up at a golf course where access options are often limited. If I remember right, when I went to the PGA they had something set up around the back of the course for the golfers and essential personnel, where other traffic could not get anywhere near.

That was only possible due to the course, clubhouse and road layout, though. Valhalla's access options look a lot more limited, and you can't have players walking across golf holes to reach the clubhouse.

Context is very important here. The context here is a pro golfer in the pre-dawn hours is just trying to get into a golf course, where for weekly events there is always a police presence, and more so at majors.

And given all the context, this is just another example of how cops in the US, generally, don't appropriately prepare for situations, and often escalate instead of de-escalate situations.

Given the situation, they easily could have had a dedicated person in the special lane for golfers explaining the situation and why things were happening ahead, that didn't look all that different in the dark than perhaps a normal day. Instead it's just some cop yelling "don't go there" with zero context - some cops are generally not known for their exemplary communication skills.

Context is very important here. The context here is a pro golfer in the pre-dawn hours is just trying to get into a golf course, where for weekly events there is always a police presence, and more so at majors.

And given all the context, this is just another example of how cops in the US, generally, don't appropriately prepare for situations, and often escalate instead of de-escalate situations.

Given the situation, they easily could have had a dedicated person in the special lane for golfers explaining the situation and why things were happening ahead, that didn't look all that different in the dark than perhaps a normal day. Instead it's just some cop yelling "don't go there" with zero context - some cops are generally not known for their exemplary communication skills.
In response to a serious traffic collision I doubt first responders are going to be thinking of what about the golfers, get someone to help them out and try seek them out in traffic to tell them what's going on, hopefully they have a giant sticker saying I'm a golfer on their car. First responders should be more concerned about the people involved in the incident.
Players travelling should know themselves how to conduct themselves behind the wheel. If in doubt you stop. The police may well have been a bit over reactive depending on if the car was being driven through or towards the incident.
It should be up to the PGA or players representatives to notify golfers of any incident like that not the police. I find it hard to fathom that golfers travelling to the course were not aware of or told of what was going on unless it was soon after happening.

In response to a serious traffic collision I doubt first responders are going to be thinking of what about the golfers, get someone to help them out and try seek them out in traffic to tell them what's going on, hopefully they have a giant sticker saying I'm a golfer on their car. First responders should be more concerned about the people involved in the incident.
Players travelling should know themselves how to conduct themselves behind the wheel. If in doubt you stop. The police may well have been a bit over reactive depending on if the car was being driven through or towards the incident.
It should be up to the PGA or players representatives to notify golfers of any incident like that not the police. I find it hard to fathom that golfers travelling to the course were not aware of or told of what was going on unless it was soon after happening.
Ya think?

And this was WELL after the incident in question.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back