Golf 2024

He deserved that. Got excited when Hovland made his little push, just glad it wasn’t DeShambles or any other LiV guy who won.

In other news, I scored a 95 yesterday, which is my lowest round ever. Parred 3 of the last 4, which included hitting the greens on 2 par 3s, which I really struggle with and normally come out with 5s.

One thing I noticed was that the commentators went very kopite on Douchambeau yesterday.

It was all 'Fan Favourite' this, 'Does it differently/his own way' that (just because has is an idiot for only having one set of clubs made does not make him special). They kept on talking about his passion and the fist bumps, etc., which reading between the lines said to me 'It means more'.

Rant aside, was a good 4 days of golf.

One thing I noticed was that the commentators went very kopite on Douchambeau yesterday.

It was all 'Fan Favourite' this, 'Does it differently/his own way' that (just because has is an idiot for only having one set of clubs made does not make him special). They kept on talking about his passion and the fist bumps, etc., which reading between the lines said to me 'It means more'.

Rant aside, was a good 4 days of golf.

This sounds like a you problem.

This sounds like a you problem.

Yep, a massive chance of that. His face annoys me, his actions annoy me, so when they were vomiting praise left, right and centre about how great he is and how uniquely great he is it just annoyed me. He screams frat boy toxic masculinity and a 'It's about me attitude'.

I thought this might be a safe space to get it off my chest :)

Yep, a massive chance of that. His face annoys me, his actions annoy me, so when they were vomiting praise left, right and centre about how great he is and how uniquely great he is it just annoyed me. He screams frat boy toxic masculinity and a 'It's about me attitude'.

I thought this might be a safe space to get it off my chest :)
I don't actually think DeChambeau is that bad of a guy. I do think he comes off that way. He's more or less the Montgomerie of this generation, if Montgomerie were American and notched a US Open.

I do think, as an American, that the younger generation of our Ryder Cup players is very unlikable. Spieth and JT seem to get it, Scheffler seems above any petty politics, and otherwise it seems like we get reminded of what a bunch of small children that fell from the Eldrick Woods tree they are every two years.

Compare to Rose, Lowry and Hovland being genuinely excited to see one another, to the point of hugs. Would you rather have one of ours as a teammate, or the bearded, beer-bellied ginger Irishman who grins like a leprechaun?

Thought so.

I don't actually think DeChambeau is that bad of a guy. I do think he comes off that way. He's more or less the Montgomerie of this generation, if Montgomerie were American and notched a US Open.

I do think, as an American, that the younger generation of our Ryder Cup players is very unlikable. Spieth and JT seem to get it, Scheffler seems above any petty politics, and otherwise it seems like we get reminded of what a bunch of small children that fell from the Eldrick Woods tree they are every two years.

Compare to Rose, Lowry and Hovland being genuinely excited to see one another, to the point of hugs. Would you rather have one of ours as a teammate, or the bearded, beer-bellied ginger Irishman who grins like a leprechaun?

Thought so.

Fair points and hard to argue with most of it.

Yeah, if we take the Ryder Cup teams as a base model, there is generally a more team and genuine friendship aspect to all the Europeans and the Americans seem to be more separate friendships. You feel that there is a higher chance that the Europeans would bring somebody in to the group, that has elements of social awkwardness, whereas Keegan Bradley definitely got shunned because he wasn't one of the guys.

I suppose that may be warping my opinion of Dechambeau as well, my ranting about him was maybe a bit over the top. However, you know when somebody just grates on you, I would say that is what it is like for me. I actually enjoyed what he brought to the game early on but it soon grated on me and now all this unique 3D printing & one of a kind clubs (I assume all clubs are designed specifically for the players and this is not unusual, it is just that they are not 3D printed), he just seems to be playing on the gimmick a bit too much.

Bryson may actually be a decent guy, but he's just such a dweeb.

That's why I don't like him. And I think why a lot of guys don't like him. Like he's the last guy I'd want to have a beer with after a round. Except for maybe Patrick Reed. Totally unfair I'm sure.

Xander's a very popular winner in this one. Good to see him get the monkey off his back. And he needed to play big boy golf to get it done - what he did after bogeying 10 was top stuff.

There are so many very good to great players out there now. These majors are going to be quite something for the foreseeable future.

I must state again. Scheffler. The guy blocks everything out Friday. Has an understood down round Saturday coming off the adrenaline of Friday. Everyone forgets about him. You look at leaderboard at the end of the event, and of course it's another ho hum Top 10.

Just incredible

I saw that JT put it well. He said something to the effect of, "When the greens are soft, it doesn't matter what course on Planet Earth you put us on. The golf course doesn't have anything to defend itself."

We saw that at Augusta last month. When it rained before Thursday, the course was a teddy bear. Give it some wind to dry out the greens and make ball flight behave in ways it never behaves at Augusta, and it's a whole different story.
Yep - these guys are so good and long, nothing matters if conditions are soft and lack of wind.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back