Goodison Park

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't get me wrong I love the old lady as much as any other Evertonian, however if we move to a new stadium people saying it will be soulless and without atmosphere.

Isn't that up to the fans and team to create the atmosphere not the stadium ?

Leicester City v Chelsea in Decembe,r the walkers bowl was jumping that night and that is what most people call a soulless bowl is it not ??

I'll cry like a baby if we leave however, we've moved once before, and I for one intend not to be like those who remained behind last time, if you know what I mean?

If we go, so be it. Onwards etc.

Redeveloping gp would be my preference. I'd keep the bullens and street end as it. Redevelop the park end and main stand. I'm not an engineer but if money was no object thats what I'd go for.

Don't get me wrong I love the old lady as much as any other Evertonian, however if we move to a new stadium people saying it will be soulless and without atmosphere.

Isn't that up to the fans and team to create the atmosphere not the stadium ?

Leicester City v Chelsea in Decembe,r the walkers bowl was jumping that night and that is what most people call a soulless bowl is it not ??

There are various issues. Alot of new stadiums are actually badly designed with regards to viewing and creating atmosphere.

People expect site lines to be great in them, but the Emirates is a classic example of where they aren't. Although there are no obstructed views, the stands are too far away from the pitch, and the rake of the lower tier is FAR too shallow so you don't get a great view even if you are in one of the back rows. I haven't been in the upper tier but I am told the view isn't as good as the upper tiers at Goodison due to the distance from the pitch. Add to this the fact that the middle corporate tiers run all the way round the pitch creating a "ring of silence" that stops any chanting spreading from the lower to the upper tiers.

Of course all of the above *could* be avoided in a new build.

If the end goal is to increase revenue and attract corporate box memberships etc, I wonder whether the fact that Goodison is basically surrounded by a deprived inner-city belt of terraced housing would be a blocker to this. I could be wrong, I just wonder how attractive that sort of thing would be to your prawn sandwich types

I'm all for whichever option leads us to more progress. It would be lovely if Goodison could be re-developed, get rid of all the obstructed views and allow us to increase revenues, but if it's ultimately more viable to do this by moving, I won't object at all. We've done it before and provided we don't end up in some breeze block monstrosity which sucks the character out of us, I'll be happy enough

There are examples of new stadiums done very well - most of which I've seen in Germany. Very few in this country.

There are various issues. Alot of new stadiums are actually badly designed with regards to viewing and creating atmosphere.

People expect site lines to be great in them, but the Emirates is a classic example of where they aren't. Although there are no obstructed views, the stands are too far away from the pitch, and the rake of the lower tier is FAR too shallow so you don't get a great view even if you are in one of the back rows. I haven't been in the upper tier but I am told the view isn't as good as the upper tiers at Goodison due to the distance from the pitch. Add to this the fact that the middle corporate tiers run all the way round the pitch creating a "ring of silence" that stops any chanting spreading from the lower to the upper tiers.

Of course all of the above *could* be avoided in a new build.

Regarding the rake of the stands I think Arsenal's is let down more because of the large treads, I reckon their leg room is around 850mm-900mm meaning there's a bigger distance between the fans in front and behind.

The rake is lower in the Gwladys St than the Park End and that is a big reason why the atmosphere is better in the Gwladys. It encourages fans to naturally need to stand up more than in the Park End.

Now the leg room in the GS is 660mm and the PE is 700mm, so that's close enough, but the riser heights of the Park End is nearly double that of the Gwladys St.

So it's a bit of a balancing act between good sightlines and decent legroom but still maintaining the packed crowd feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.