Gordon Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was at Howard Kendall's funeral. He seemed quite frail & vulnerable, but he had made the effort and turned out. Some cracking performances and results with him in charge, and some catastrophic ones as well, normally those that were considered a win 'banker' before kicking off.

I'd just started going the match with my Uncle when Lee was the manager. Khal has given me a different perspective in his posts and are similar to what my Uncle was telling me.

I didn't need convincing about Everton - by seven they were my team - I was going the match regularly and I didn't give a f*** about what they were doing across the park - in the late seventies you got kudos in my school if you went the match but it was also a tough time to be a Blue. Helped that I could play a bit at that age.

Back to Lee....most of the games I saw at that age were hard work - a result by one goal or the other settled the matter. My uncle was telling me it used to be better - there is a good team in there somewhere - but we always seemed to hit the post. Lose the Big Games...have a decent cup run - then lose.

I may be unfair, but I was made up he was sacked - at the end, everyone around me hated him and said he wasn't good enough - I was seven so not the most informed - history will judge his Everton tenure differently and will call out what he did well far better than I can recall.

Perhaps fortuitously our next Gaffer proved to be the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.