Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

GOT Fitness LOG

Status
Not open for further replies.
re the sizing, I think its probably wise to stick to my local shop rather than buying online in that case. They sell Trek, Specialized and Cannondale, so I'll probably get an idea online then go into store to buy one. All decent brands from what I've read.

Finally getting my money's worth from my Turbo.. been doing 3 sessions a week for the last few weeks. Aim is to increase bike power output over the winter.

For most UK climbs I'd say it's usually all about power because they're usually quite short. Can't think of many climbs in Britain that you'll be spending more than 20 minutes on. Not to say there aren't any of course, but not many.

If you think of something like the Tour of Flanders, the successful riders in that are not your typical weight weenie climbers, but Boonen/Cancellara/Sagan all have a whole lot of power in their legs. I'd guess that Flandrian style climbs are more common here than Alpine style ones.

Obviously down here in London we sure don't have any long climbs really. The longest I regularly do is around 3km and takes around 8-9 minutes to climb. A world away from the 1h50m it took to get up the Stelvio.

I guess it all depends where you are, in north Wales there are quite a few climbs in the 200m - 500m height gain bracket, more L-B-L than Flanders Id say. Second stage in this years TDF had the main contenders at the sharp end too.

Right peeps, I'm looking at buying some Dumbbells because I'm a skinny bar steward and I reckon it's about time I start beefing up a bit. I'm too lazy/poor to go to the gym regularly, hence the Dumbbells, are there any websites or anything anyone can recommend for dumbbell weight training at home?

Right peeps, I'm looking at buying some Dumbbells because I'm a skinny bar steward and I reckon it's about time I start beefing up a bit. I'm too lazy/poor to go to the gym regularly, hence the Dumbbells, are there any websites or anything anyone can recommend for dumbbell weight training at home?
Eating right should also be high on your list if you're going to start lifting weights. If you're skinny like you say, simply lifting a few dumbbells from time to time wont 'beef' you up. Along with the right diet, work out plan and commitment, you need to study and research form, technique and breathing to lifting weights; im assuming you're a beginner.

If you're too lazy to go to the gym, i'd say you're half way to quitting and aren't really serious as it is.

Check out the app 'fitness buddy' if you still insist on doing your work outs at home. This app has hundreds of exercises for you to do with dumbbells, barbells, body weight etc.... targetting any specific muscle group you want.

re the sizing, I think its probably wise to stick to my local shop rather than buying online in that case. They sell Trek, Specialized and Cannondale, so I'll probably get an idea online then go into store to buy one. All decent brands from what I've read.
Sizing is mad... I don't do the miles Bruce does...not even close, but I like to be comfortable. I'm about 6ft 1.... My road bike is 56cm ....I do more mountain biking at the moment... I have one 17 inch which I find too small at times and one 19 inch which is ace for further distances.. Yeah, so size is important.... Don tell @RAFUH

Sizing is mad... I don't do the miles Bruce does...not even close, but I like to be comfortable. I'm about 6ft 1.... My road bike is 56cm ....I do more mountain biking at the moment... I have one 17 inch which I find too small at times and one 19 inch which is ace for further distances.. Yeah, so size is important.... Don tell @RAFUH

Oh honey. I fully appreciate the importance of size......

*at barely 5'2" it's damn near impossible to find a bike that fits without buying a kids bike

Couldn't say one specific company is better than another, but I can recommend the ones with just two handles that fit into housings that let you select as much or as little weight you want. Saves a ton of space, cheaper than buying a full set of fixed barbells, and way faster than having a bunch of loose plates to manually put on and off. The manual plates are fine though if you're looking for the cheapest option.

Aye, probably best. I'm stereotyping here of course, but I've often found independent bike shops to be slightly better than chains, but that is a generalisation.

Finally getting my money's worth from my Turbo.. been doing 3 sessions a week for the last few weeks. Aim is to increase bike power output over the winter.

Living in London I probably do the bulk of my training on the turbo. Takes so long to get to anywhere that you can do remotely decent training it's a no brainer really. 4 sessions during the week over winter (90 minute sweet spot usually), and a longer outdoor ride on Sunday if weather permits.

Always wanted one of those turbos with all the virtual reality stuff tagged onto it.

Yeah they do look neat. I imagine the resistance function on those is pretty good? It's a bit weak on my Tacx Flow so when you try and replicate a gradient the power reading is all over the shop, hence I tend to just use gears to make it harder/easier. They've got some VR bikes in my local gym, but without a fan it's a bit hopeless.

Oh honey. I fully appreciate the importance of size......

*at barely 5'2" it's damn near impossible to find a bike that fits without buying a kids bike

I hear you. I'm about 5'5" and getting a decent bike for that isn't always easy. Suppose it helps that cyclists tend to be on the smaller side. You're the same height as Emma Pooley though, who's a fantastic cyclist (and super smart - no boobs to speak of though so doesn't tend to appear in the various 'hot chicks threads' *sigh*).

Do you have room for a barbell setup ? By that i mean a bench and a pair of squat stands.

The reason i ask is that dumbells are okay, but a barbell, pair of squat stands and a bench will allow you to do five exercises that will cover basically your whole body.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back