Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

GOT Fitness LOG

Status
Not open for further replies.
well lids,you make me look positively useless........i'm doing a running programme to get me to run 5k only !!,into week 3 now where i'm running for 5 mins walking for 2,four times.By the end of this week if I complete the tasks then I should be on running 8 mins,walking 2 mins, twice.

quite happy with it though as week one was run 1 min & walk 1 min for 20 mins,and even me at 50+ years old can feel an improvement in the short space of time i've been getting my runners on.

My aim is to run a 10k come May for a local hospital,but considering I stopped playing football 20 years ago , i decided to start of with the 5k distance.

Brilliant mate, keep up the good work, as Bruce said there don't worry about anyone else. Just concentrate on progressing yourself, sounds like you'll be good for your 10K. Good luck.

well lids,you make me look positively useless........i'm doing a running programme to get me to run 5k only !!,into week 3 now where i'm running for 5 mins walking for 2,four times.By the end of this week if I complete the tasks then I should be on running 8 mins,walking 2 mins, twice.

quite happy with it though as week one was run 1 min & walk 1 min for 20 mins,and even me at 50+ years old can feel an improvement in the short space of time i've been getting my runners on.

My aim is to run a 10k come May for a local hospital,but considering I stopped playing football 20 years ago , i decided to start of with the 5k distance.

Sounds like you're doing the NHS couch to 5k jobby? Have just started it myself!

I'm going to try the 5x5 stronglift program, but juts wanted some cardio in there aswell.. thought Id give this ago ?

The Stronglifts programme on its own should be more than sufficient as long as you follow the correct diet. Excessive cardio is unnecessary. Walk often, but don't jog. Sprints are good. It's more about the intensity than the duration.

The Stronglifts programme on its own should be more than sufficient as long as you follow the correct diet. Excessive cardio is unnecessary. Walk often, but don't jog. Sprints are good. It's more about the intensity than the duration.
Cheers mate.. Any reason not to jog? Started this week I'm enjoying it but feel like it's not enough.. Maybe due to the low weights at the begining ?

Used to run 2 half marathons a week, in doing so has injured me and put me out of sports for life and I'm only 18. Sorry to put a downer on the thread haha!

Long time no see mate. Are you still riding?

I am indeed Brucey! Have to admit I've been a bit lazy over winter but hoping to do the Norwich 100 ride again in May so that's a good goal to aim for, just need to start training seriously for that again. I was doing well getting out twice a week until late November when man flu hit and I've struggled to get back into it since then! Been out for a couple of shorter riders recently though so will soon be back in the swing of it am sure. Started this running malarkey as well to try and get my fitness levels up, all good fun! Have you got many rides lined up this year?

I am indeed Brucey! Have to admit I've been a bit lazy over winter but hoping to do the Norwich 100 ride again in May so that's a good goal to aim for, just need to start training seriously for that again. I was doing well getting out twice a week until late November when man flu hit and I've struggled to get back into it since then! Been out for a couple of shorter riders recently though so will soon be back in the swing of it am sure. Started this running malarkey as well to try and get my fitness levels up, all good fun! Have you got many rides lined up this year?

Nice one, I've been reading your cycling blogs and stuff. Pretty cool (liked your picture with Basso!). I've signed up to do the Maratona again so will be heading out for that in June. Just need to get the fitness back up (and the weight back down)

Have a read of this mate:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/case-against-cardio/#axzz3PV19Cl40

Basically, the human body isn't designed to undertake long stretches of aerobic exercise. Interesting that the above article is written by a guy who used to be an ironman competitor !

I like Mark Sissons but I disagree with him on that. I much prefer the endurance running hypothesis to explain how we evolved from the plains in Africa. Sissons is trying to promote his his "primal" brand as much as anything and the idea of the minimum effective dose.

Modern lifestyle and running shoes weakened our natural adaptation to running, causing injuries through biomechanical inefficiencies.

Last edited:
Been doing a lot of research into Cold Thermogenesis in the last few weeks.
There's definitely something to it.

I've just ordered one of these CoolFatBurner vests (not so much for the weight-loss aspect, although they are supposed to be fantastic for that too, but for all the other benefits of CT).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back