Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

GOT Fitness LOG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good climb yesterday, beasted a couple of 4s and had a go at the 4+. Already noticing an improvement in my back since I started going twice a week; can sit comfortably for longer and my back isn't as cramped up after a long day in the office. Need to keep it up.

Training with music, who does it?

I used to all the time, but for about 5 years I haven't bothered at all. Went for a run yesterday using music and struggled big time, my pace was off and I couldn't get my head clear, just kept thinking this is gonna be a crap time. Not sure if I've had an off day and it's more coincidence the fact I had my earphones in or whether that was the reason. I''m going out for a run on Saturday will try it with music again and see if it's the same.

Anyone else use music? Or had similar experiences?

Perfectly normal.

Sometimes it's good to just suck in the surrounding atmosphere/sounds instead of listening to mindless doof doof.

helps clear your head! :)

Sounds trite but calories burned have to be less than calories eaten. Simple as that really, so look at what you're eating, and maybe think of doing some more cardio.

It's not Bruce.

A calorie is just a measure of energy, it's a very rudimental way of trying to determine the kind of diet you should follow to lose weight.

Ijjy, if you're struggling to lose weight i would suggest dropping carbs and looking at a ketogenic diet, most people who do so lose weight very quickly and consistently. You'll be turning your body into a machine which burns fat rather than carbs (glucose) for energy. It's not the kind of thing you would stay on long term, the idea is to follow that process until you reach your desired weight and then maintain it by eating a moderate amount of carbohydrates.

I did so and lost weight easily while still eating plenty and doing very little cardio other than walking.

Back training properly this week

Bit of plyometric and snatch work Monday with a 3 exercise circuit to finish
Squats and overhead press Tuesday
Club training on Wednesday.
Day off today

It's not Bruce.

A calorie is just a measure of energy, it's a very rudimental way of trying to determine the kind of diet you should follow to lose weight.

Ijjy, if you're struggling to lose weight i would suggest dropping carbs and looking at a ketogenic diet, most people who do so lose weight very quickly and consistently. You'll be turning your body into a machine which burns fat rather than carbs (glucose) for energy. It's not the kind of thing you would stay on long term, the idea is to follow that process until you reach your desired weight and then maintain it by eating a moderate amount of carbohydrates.

I did so and lost weight easily while still eating plenty and doing very little cardio other than walking.

Oh for sure, I guess I just figured that many people don't have the inclination to be too obsessive about their diet, so as basic as it is, it's a decent rule of thumb to abide by. If nothing else, it's a reasonable first step towards looking at your diet in a proper way.

I mean you have to consider that the likes of weight watchers still use things like 'sin points' as though everyone is an infant that needs to be spoken to in baby talk :)

Oh for sure, I guess I just figured that many people don't have the inclination to be too obsessive about their diet, so as basic as it is, it's a decent rule of thumb to abide by. If nothing else, it's a reasonable first step towards looking at your diet in a proper way.

I mean you have to consider that the likes of weight watchers still use things like 'sin points' as though everyone is an infant that needs to be spoken to in baby talk :)

I reckon it takes less effort to watch the kind of foods you're eating than to count calories. Low carb, moderate protein, high fat is an easier mantra than counting the calories of everything you eat.

"In 2003, a study conducted by Green et al. at Harvard University observed participants over twelve weeks as they followed one of three diet regimes:

1. A low fat diet
  2. A low carbohydrate diet with the same amount of calories
  3. A low carbohydrate diet with 300 more calories per day
The first group lost 17lbs on average, the second group lost 23lbs and the third group lost 20lbs. Greene concluded that, “There does indeed seem to be something about a low-carb diet that says you can eat more calories and lose a similar amount of weight”.

In fact, the study proved the calories in, calories out argument wrong in two separate ways. Firstly, diets with identical calorie amounts resulted in drastically different outcomes. Secondly, the third diet’s total excess of 25,200 calories compared to the other two diets should have resulted in a net weight gain of 7.2lbs, as opposed to a loss of 3lbs (compared to the first diet) or a gain of just 3lbs (compared to the second diet).

In 2004, a study conducted by Yancy et al. for the Annals of Internal Medicineconcluded as follows:

Compared with a low-fat diet, a low-carbohydrate diet program had better participant retention and greater weight loss.

So what you eat (rather than simply how much you eat) can not only affect your weight, it can also affect the likelihood of you sticking to a particular eating regime."

http://healthyenough.net/calorie-counting/

CICO is just one aspect of metabolism, but it doesn't really tell us anything useful. The way Gary Taubes describes it is saying that a fattening person is eating more than than they burn is like saying a room is getting more crowded because more people are entering than leaving. It's a flipping obvious and necessarily true statement. We want to know WHY more people are trying to get into that already crowded room. Maybe there's an amazing movie or band playing. If the room is emptying maybe it's because people are tired or the film sucks, or maybe someone just activated a fire alarm.

Different scenarios being played out inside the room will have vastly different results. Different hormones predominating in your body will have VASTLY different results on your body composition.

I stumbled across this little video which I think explains metabolism beautifully:

Training with music, who does it?

I used to all the time, but for about 5 years I haven't bothered at all. Went for a run yesterday using music and struggled big time, my pace was off and I couldn't get my head clear, just kept thinking this is gonna be a crap time. Not sure if I've had an off day and it's more coincidence the fact I had my earphones in or whether that was the reason. I''m going out for a run on Saturday will try it with music again and see if it's the same.

Anyone else use music? Or had similar experiences?

I never listen to music when I run find it distracting.

Strange question, is spinning "bad" for your body? I'm doing the odd class and overheard someone say it is but never got a chance to ask.

Also has anyone tried the Billy Blanks Tae-bo dvds?

Strange question, is spinning "bad" for your body? I'm doing the odd class and overheard someone say it is but never got a chance to ask.

Also has anyone tried the Billy Blanks Tae-bo dvds?

Nothing intrinsically wrong with "spinning" - although it's not as natural as cycling because of the fixed position of the bike and the flywheel effect. As ever though, if all you do is hammer it hard in interval sessions without doing any low intensity stuff (as seems popular in many spin-type classes) then that itself is quite unhealthy.

Genuinely thinking of buying a turbo trainer for my bike.

Just got on the scales for the first time in ages, mortified to find out I've gone over 20% body fat for the first time in my life. Would rather it was half that, so some serious hard work will have to be done. History suggests I'll fail in the kitchen rather than on the treadmill or the bike though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back