Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

GOT Fitness LOG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the atkins is a very good way to get in shape for MMA,

something like a paleo would be more appropriate I reckon slugger

Atkins was way ahead of his time, and I think many people are inaccurate in reciting what he actually prescribed. He was completely on board with green veggies. I mean, this looks pretty close to a well-formulated LCHF diet, doesn't it?

Atkins-Diet-365-713854.jpg

OK, could promote more fish, and I don't think he said to limit inflammatory omega-6 seed oils, but other than that I would eat that lot up all day.

The turbo has been useful, but I cant say I like it. Good for when its pissing down and icy, but if its dry I still prefer to put my lights on and go out.

Atkins was way ahead of his time, and I think many people are inaccurate in reciting what he actually prescribed. He was completely on board with green veggies. I mean, this looks pretty close to a well-formulated LCHF diet, doesn't it?

Atkins-Diet-365-713854.jpg

OK, could promote more fish, and I don't think he said to limit inflammatory omega-6 seed oils, but other than that I would eat that lot up all day.
looks good to me E-dub, is that Prof Atkins himself ???

looks good to me E-dub, is that Prof Atkins himself ???

Yeah, that's the dude. Good man - way ahead of his time. Him & John Yudkin basically stood up and said "screw you, we know what we're talking about" and were vilified for it.

He started prescribing his Atkins plan as far back as the early 70s just to treat obese patients. It's fair to say that back then he/we DIDN'T understand everything that we do know today. However over time, and certainly by the 90s when the 2nd Atkins boom happened, his understanding had improved and he was talking about net carbs, glycemic response, blood sugars, insulin etc, and didn't make the distinction between fibre and sugar, just grouping everything under the banner of "carbs" and told people to restrict their carbs down to 20-50g. By this time there were others on board like Gary Taubes and Michael Eades who were also preaching carb-restriction and basically saying that the CICO model was wrong and misleading.

It's a shame that after his death his Atkins food supplement business was sold off and the new owner started to produce junk, disassociating itself with the original low-carb message and instead using it as a synonym for a more traditional "healthy" foods. That's basically what's happening with Paleo now - after a few years everyone jumps on the bandwagon and want to be associated with the movement, product diversification happens and what was noble about the original concept (ancestral food) gets diluted and eventually bastified... paleo bars, paleo snacks.. wtf ;)

Yeah, that's the dude. Good man - way ahead of his time. Him & John Yudkin basically stood up and said "screw you, we know what we're talking about" and were vilified for it.

He started prescribing his Atkins plan as far back as the early 70s just to treat obese patients. It's fair to say that back then he/we DIDN'T understand everything that we do know today. However over time, and certainly by the 90s when the 2nd Atkins boom happened, his understanding had improved and he was talking about net carbs, glycemic response, blood sugars, insulin etc, and didn't make the distinction between fibre and sugar, just grouping everything under the banner of "carbs" and told people to restrict their carbs down to 20-50g. By this time there were others on board like Gary Taubes and Michael Eades who were also preaching carb-restriction and basically saying that the CICO model was wrong and misleading.

It's a shame that after his death his Atkins food supplement business was sold off and the new owner started to produce junk, disassociating itself with the original low-carb message and instead using it as a synonym for a more traditional "healthy" foods. That's basically what's happening with Paleo now - after a few years everyone jumps on the bandwagon and want to be associated with the movement, product diversification happens and what was noble about the original concept (ancestral food) gets diluted and eventually bastified... paleo bars, paleo snacks.. wtf ;)

Don't think that's something to be hated, to be honest.

It's very difficult in modern life for people to stick to a true Paleo diet without looking to those kind of products as a stop gap. I work ten hour days and often don't even get the chance to have a proper lunch break, so things like the bars from Primal Kitchen have been vital in keeping me going. If it wasn't for products like that i'd have been much more likely to break the diet on a regular basis.

Those kinds of products make the Paleo idea more accessible to more people, that can only be seen as a good thing surely.

Don't think that's something to be hated, to be honest.

It's very difficult in modern life for people to stick to a true Paleo diet without looking to those kind of products as a stop gap. I work ten hour days and often don't even get the chance to have a proper lunch break, so things like the bars from Primal Kitchen have been vital in keeping me going. If it wasn't for products like that i'd have been much more likely to break the diet on a regular basis.

Those kinds of products make the Paleo idea more accessible to more people, that can only be seen as a good thing surely.

Wondered about trying these bars out, I'd been eating the nakd bars for a while, and although undeniably tasty, they're pretty high in sugar (albeit natural) due to high % of dates/raisins involved. How are the primal bars for taste/health etc?

Anyone a member of a 'The Gym Group' gyms? I'm moving house this weekend and there's one 5 mins from my house. Apparently their dumbells only go up to 30kg, which is a bit lame. Do they generally have normal bench presses though?

Wondered about trying these bars out, I'd been eating the nakd bars for a while, and although undeniably tasty, they're pretty high in sugar (albeit natural) due to high % of dates/raisins involved. How are the primal bars for taste/health etc?

I like them. They're a lot more balanced than the Nakd bars. The coconut and macadamia version i've just eaten has:

16.8g carbs
14.8g fat

And only has five ingredients. Not cheap but that's the trade-off. The Nakd bars have about the same carb content but half the amount of fat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back