Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

GOT Fitness LOG

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's it, and if you get bored, then just mix it up, I get bored of running, then I do weights

I get bored of swimming, then I get the bike out, works for me
I've got a bad ankle so can't run but I've been doing 8 or ten 10k fast walking on incline for the past 16 days. Plus swim between 25 to 50 lengths of a smallish pool 3 times a week then finish off in the steam room for 20 minutes . I've cut out crisp and drinks and no beer in over 2 weeks and eat 3 times a day. Try to stick to 1800 to 2000 calories a day except for Saturday when I have a chippy scoff. I only drink tea, water or coke zero . I've heard low weights but more reps is good for weight loss?

Use MCT oil, and some coconut oil too if you're budget can stretch. They pretty much take most of the pain away from the transition, and plenty of caffeine also helps

I should probably add James that I prefer to go moderate carb before shifting to a Keto diet, it also makes the transition less painful. Some white rice and/ or sweet potato in the evenings and staying low/ zero carb in the day.

Just be careful you don't get light headed, if you feel that you are make sure you have some blueberries to hand and don't be frightened of eating some fruit. Stick to the berries if you can though.

Got some cocounut oil today is that the same/similar to MCT?

Feel a LOT better this evening, last night I had swollen glands, really congested and had bad sweats in the night suggesting it probably wasnt all down to the no carbs and probably a little virus/run down.

I probably would of slowly reduced but I got back from a 14 day trip of Italy on Sunday, so had ridiculous amounts of carbs and felt extremely bloated and fat so wanted to dive straight in.

I've got a bad ankle so can't run but I've been doing 8 or ten 10k fast walking on incline for the past 16 days. Plus swim between 25 to 50 lengths of a smallish pool 3 times a week then finish off in the steam room for 20 minutes . I've cut out crisp and drinks and no beer in over 2 weeks and eat 3 times a day. Try to stick to 1800 to 2000 calories a day except for Saturday when I have a chippy scoff. I only drink tea, water or coke zero . I've heard low weights but more reps is good for weight loss?
sounds good mate, I've heard the low weight/high reps is more for getting ripped than packing on muscles, dunno about weight loss but it makes sense, @maddison will know for sure

no carbs is a terrible way to live, i've done it for about 2 years now and im constantly exhausted.

There's a simple reason behind why power lifters prefer 5's as an upper limit, and bodybuilders tend to stick to the 10-12 rep range.

If 6-8 yielded better size gains, it would be the most dominant rep range used by bodybuilders. It simply isn't.

If you want a good reference, pick up a copy of
Science and Practice of Strength Training by Vladimir M. Zatsiorsky William J. Kraemer

It's easy to get hold of and a good read.

I'm not sure what this post is about.

I simply disagreed with what you said, which is that you can't see a benefit from creatine if you bodybuild with low reps. That's not true.

Creatine allows you to do any strenuous weight exercise for longer/at heavier weights than when not using it. Doesn't matter if it's 50 reps or 6.

So my shifts at work are changing and after Easter I'll be working 1-9 permanently. I want to make the most of my mornings and start cycling properly.

I've got a decent mountain bike (I can't afford to buy a new bike btw), anyone got any tips on how to make the most of it? @Bruce Wayne im looking at you...

Happy to help (if possible). What do you want to get out of your riding?

I'm naturally quite fit anyway with playing footy etc but I'd like to build up a bit of strength and endurance. Is cycling good for any muscle groups other than legs? What can I do off the bike to help myself? Any gadgets or gizmos worth buying for my bike to help map progress?

Any little tidbits would be appreciated mate.

I'm naturally quite fit anyway with playing footy etc but I'd like to build up a bit of strength and endurance. Is cycling good for any muscle groups other than legs? What can I do off the bike to help myself? Any gadgets or gizmos worth buying for my bike to help map progress?

Any little tidbits would be appreciated mate.

Cycling doesn't really do much for anything other than legs, although it's obviously good for aerobic fitness, and is good fun so you can keep it going. In terms of training for cycling off the bike, maybe core work could be useful, but to be honest the best training for cycling is cycling. You're never really limited by leg strength, it's all muscular endurance stuff.

Suffice to say, that's mainly for road riding, I don't know if it's different for mountain biking as you may need more upper body fitness for off-road stuff (I'm not sure to be honest). If you can take the scenic route to work (or more likely on the way home so you can shower straight away) then that's often an easy way to get some miles in. If you decide to train for specific events or disciplines then you can tailor your training accordingly, but to begin with just get out whenever you can and get the miles in. It's summer coming up so should be enjoyable :)

Regarding kit, a bike computer is always handy so you can see how far/fast you've gone. You can spend as much as you want on those, from a basic one for a few quid all the way up to GPS enabled ones and even power meters for several hundred pounds. I'd probably start off with the basic one as it'll measure speed/distance/time and cadence, which is plenty to begin with. If you get really into it you can get a GPS device and use Strava or any of those kind of ride tracking services to compare your speed with others. To begin with though there are a number of free sites where you simply input your ride data manually, and I used those quite happily for years. http://mycycling.co.uk/ for instance does some fairly basic stuff well enough.

Are there any events you'd consider doing near you? I know down this way you've got things like the South Downs Way or the Hills Killer on the Isle of Wight, which are mountain bike events. I'm sure there are lots more, but it's not an area I'm that familiar with. They can be good to give you something to train for and you might find someone else to ride with, either training prior to the event or at the event itself. Met a guy at the first event I rode and we've been all around Europe cycling in the last 6-7 years. Always nice if you've got someone else to do it with.

Cycling doesn't really do much for anything other than legs, although it's obviously good for aerobic fitness, and is good fun so you can keep it going. In terms of training for cycling off the bike, maybe core work could be useful, but to be honest the best training for cycling is cycling. You're never really limited by leg strength, it's all muscular endurance stuff.

Suffice to say, that's mainly for road riding, I don't know if it's different for mountain biking as you may need more upper body fitness for off-road stuff (I'm not sure to be honest). If you can take the scenic route to work (or more likely on the way home so you can shower straight away) then that's often an easy way to get some miles in. If you decide to train for specific events or disciplines then you can tailor your training accordingly, but to begin with just get out whenever you can and get the miles in. It's summer coming up so should be enjoyable :)

Regarding kit, a bike computer is always handy so you can see how far/fast you've gone. You can spend as much as you want on those, from a basic one for a few quid all the way up to GPS enabled ones and even power meters for several hundred pounds. I'd probably start off with the basic one as it'll measure speed/distance/time and cadence, which is plenty to begin with. If you get really into it you can get a GPS device and use Strava or any of those kind of ride tracking services to compare your speed with others. To begin with though there are a number of free sites where you simply input your ride data manually, and I used those quite happily for years. http://mycycling.co.uk/ for instance does some fairly basic stuff well enough.

Are there any events you'd consider doing near you? I know down this way you've got things like the South Downs Way or the Hills Killer on the Isle of Wight, which are mountain bike events. I'm sure there are lots more, but it's not an area I'm that familiar with. They can be good to give you something to train for and you might find someone else to ride with, either training prior to the event or at the event itself. Met a guy at the first event I rode and we've been all around Europe cycling in the last 6-7 years. Always nice if you've got someone else to do it with.

Brilliant that mate. Will definitely have a look at a little bike computer. Canyou recommend a decent, relatively cheap one?

I'm not interested in doing events, not yet at least,and I'm going to be on roads/towpath so mostly road biking on a mountain bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back