Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

GOT Fitness LOG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brilliant that mate. Will definitely have a look at a little bike computer. Canyou recommend a decent, relatively cheap one?

I'm not interested in doing events, not yet at least,and I'm going to be on roads/towpath so mostly road biking on a mountain bike.

CatEye are usually the best budget computers. You can get this one for £13

http://www.evanscycles.com/products...gclid=CNblpLO108QCFSOWtAodukcADw&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sometimes Lidl or Aldi do sales on these kind of things and they've even cheaper. The only real difference at the bottom end is whether it's wired or wireless. Little bit more work to setup a wired one but nothing too major.

Oh, and I've no idea what your seat/suspension are like, but you'll want a decent pair of padded shorts (sorry if that's teaching you to suck eggs). Your bits and bobs will appreciate it though :)

That's impressive discipline, especially when eating with others. Quite something to stick to it for that long.
Its terrible, so anti social and ridiculous all the same, my body doesn't *enjoy* that type of food so i find it easy to avoid, but defo socially is terrible.

Its terrible, so anti social and ridiculous all the same, my body doesn't *enjoy* that type of food so i find it easy to avoid, but defo socially is terrible.

I bet. Hard enough avoiding cakes and doughnuts etc. in an office environment, let alone healthier yet 'normal' foods when eating out (pizza, garlic bread, pasta etc.)

Got some cocounut oil today is that the same/similar to MCT?

Feel a LOT better this evening, last night I had swollen glands, really congested and had bad sweats in the night suggesting it probably wasnt all down to the no carbs and probably a little virus/run down.

I probably would of slowly reduced but I got back from a 14 day trip of Italy on Sunday, so had ridiculous amounts of carbs and felt extremely bloated and fat so wanted to dive straight in.

Coconut oil contains MCT's. There's a little bit of snobbery about where people who've more recently discovered coconut oil think you're a bit thick if you take MCT oil. Coconut oil is rich in Lauric acid, which is one of the four medium chain triglycerides (MCT's). MCT oil is a processed oil and don'ts contain lauric acid.

Technically coconut oil is better, but you'd take MCT oil for a slightly different purpose. MCT oil is hits your system faster, although it gets used up faster too. It produces more ketones in a shorter period of time than coconut oil does, MCT oil also has a higher concentration of the MCT's that convert to Ketones.

In the short term use MCT oil, but once you're ketone adapted you could just switch to coconut oil and use it for cooking

Here's a decent, and short :-) reference:

http://www.quora.com/How-much-better-is-MCT-oil-than-coconut-oil

sounds good mate, I've heard the low weight/high reps is more for getting ripped than packing on muscles, dunno about weight loss but it makes sense, @maddison will know for sure

1-5 predominantly stimulate myofibril hypertrophy, 1-3 being better for neurological efficiency.
8-12 are better for Sarcoplasmic (Bodybuilding)
15 and up can have an anabolic benefit too, but don't base your workouts on this rep range. It's handy to flush the muscle with a high rep movement, but don't make it the main focus of your workout.

Geting ripped is more about diet, although you can change the way you lift weights to assist your goal. It's mainly diet though.

no carbs is a terrible way to live, i've done it for about 2 years now and im constantly exhausted.

Could be a thyroid issue, have you and it checked? Low carb diets can affect your thyroid output over the long haul. Do you carb spike every so often? That might help. Berries are handy too, and organ meat a few times a week helps.

I'm not sure what this post is about.

I simply disagreed with what you said, which is that you can't see a benefit from creatine if you bodybuild with low reps. That's not true.

Creatine allows you to do any strenuous weight exercise for longer/at heavier weights than when not using it. Doesn't matter if it's 50 reps or 6.

Fair point, I'll rephrase. 6 reps is a bit of a no mans land, and to me makes no sense when using creatine. Five's and lower stimulate predominantly myofibril hypertrophy, 8 and above are more in the sarcoplasmic stimulating range. If you're using creatine for bodybuilding purposes, it makes sense to get the most out of it and stick in a range that is going to give you the best benefit for the purposes of your training goal.

1-5 predominantly stimulate myofibril hypertrophy, 1-3 being better for neurological efficiency.
8-12 are better for Sarcoplasmic (Bodybuilding)
15 and up can have an anabolic benefit too, but don't base your workouts on this rep range. It's handy to flush the muscle with a high rep movement, but don't make it the main focus of your workout.
almost exactly what I said

no carbs is a terrible way to live, i've done it for about 2 years now and im constantly exhausted.

You could well have run down your thyroid if you've been totally low carb/keto for so long.
Periodic carb refeeding a la "carb nite" might well be better choice for many people than just constant low carb/keto.. if you're miserable on low carb, look into carb nite.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31945687

Interesting article on natural talent vs practice time. I fully buy into the concept that 10,000 hours of meaningful practice with the right guidance can make anyone an expert on anything. It's just choosing the things, or probably more accurately THING, which you want to pour 10,000 hours into. Mine would be guitar but I'd be hard pushed to say I've done more than 3,000 hours of meaningful practice.

Reckon you've clocked that amount cycling hills? @Bruce Wayne

Interesting article on natural talent vs practice time. I fully buy into the concept that 10,000 hours of meaningful practice with the right guidance can make anyone an expert on anything. It's just choosing the things, or probably more accurately THING, which you want to pour 10,000 hours into. Mine would be guitar but I'd be hard pushed to say I've done more than 3,000 hours of meaningful practice.

I haven't read it (pressed for time) but based on a quick skim and your summary, this is pretty common knowledge. There's plenty of data out there that typically shows that X amount of repetitions of a a moment pattern is required to produce a top class competitor or a world champion. In weightlifting there's bucket loads of information on it. It's one of the reasons why the Bulgarian and Soviet systems focused on volume to achieve results. In the west we had a different way of doing things. It's all about neurological efficiency

You see it in lots of sports.
Beckham practicing his free kicks after training
Darts players practicing for hours every day
Snooker players
Golfers repetitively going through tier swings

I guess it's where the saying that hard work beats talent if talent doesn't work hard comes from. You can't be totally talentless and repeatedly practice and expect to be better than someone who is gifted though :) But someone who is talented and puts in the hours can become better than someone who is more talented and doesn't practice.

The practice time = high level performance argument is why as a country we should be focusing on higher level coaching at a young age. In some sports you're already too far behind when you start focusing on coaching kids in their late teens. You'll get late developers of course, but even those late developers will be better competitors if they have a grounding at a younger age.

Haha. I probably ride for around ten hours a week so 500 a year. By the time I'm a really old fart I'll be there lol

Rest assured though, I'm a whole lot better having clocked up maybe 3-4,000 hours than I was having clocked up 0 :)

Coconut oil contains MCT's. There's a little bit of snobbery about where people who've more recently discovered coconut oil think you're a bit thick if you take MCT oil. Coconut oil is rich in Lauric acid, which is one of the four medium chain triglycerides (MCT's). MCT oil is a processed oil and don'ts contain lauric acid.

Technically coconut oil is better, but you'd take MCT oil for a slightly different purpose. MCT oil is hits your system faster, although it gets used up faster too. It produces more ketones in a shorter period of time than coconut oil does, MCT oil also has a higher concentration of the MCT's that convert to Ketones.

In the short term use MCT oil, but once you're ketone adapted you could just switch to coconut oil and use it for cooking

Here's a decent, and short :) reference:

http://www.quora.com/How-much-better-is-MCT-oil-than-coconut-oil

Good stuff, maddison.

I should also add that ketones are far from the be all, end all for low carb. People confuse ketosis and fat utilisation. Ketones are generated by the liver and only ever play a small role in providing energy (whether everyday activity or during exercise). People who label themselves "powered by ketones" are a bit wide of the mark.

What more accurately happens - and what you actually want to happen - is straightforward fatty acid lipolysis, ie breaking down fat (dietary and stored) into glycerol and fatty acid, which is then fed directly into the energy production pathway (the krebs cycle). This happens on a massive scale in good fat burners and is the main energy production system in the body, and can and does happen absent ketones.

well going to shout it from the roof tops. completed my first 10k run today, 4 weeks ahead of the programme I'm following (Limerick Barrington street 10k in May ). today I was due to run for fifty minutes, entered a 10k near by with the plan to just run for fifty,and walk whatever remained.felt decent enough so continued to the end, 1:00:09 by far the fastest I ever ran,well pleased as an over 50's novice, Guinness a plenty tonight !.

well going to shout it from the roof tops. completed my first 10k run today, 4 weeks ahead of the programme I'm following (Limerick Barrington street 10k in May ). today I was due to run for fifty minutes, entered a 10k near by with the plan to just run for fifty,and walk whatever remained.felt decent enough so continued to the end, 1:00:09 by far the fastest I ever ran,well pleased as an over 50's novice, Guinness a plenty tonight !.

Good stuff. Congrats mate. The first one is always a great achievement :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back