Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

GOT Fitness LOG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've not been the gym in six weeks due personal issues and last week being in hospital with a goosed back.

I'd originally lost 4 stone in 3 months ice now put 9lb back on and not happy. My back is still not 100% but it's much better.

Going to chance the gym again I was doing 4 hours a day weights , cardio and swim to lose that much but I think I'll have to take it easy . Can't sit around any longer putting more weight on I'm just scranning out of boredom while watching box sets

I can only seem to diet properly if I'm in a routine in the gym as well so if I have to suffer back pain then I suppose that's just tough . Can't be undoing the hard work .

I've not been the gym in six weeks due personal issues and last week being in hospital with a goosed back.

I'd originally lost 4 stone in 3 months ice now put 9lb back on and not happy. My back is still not 100% but it's much better.

Going to chance the gym again I was doing 4 hours a day weights , cardio and swim to lose that much but I think I'll have to take it easy . Can't sit around any longer putting more weight on I'm just scranning out of boredom while watching box sets

I can only seem to diet properly if I'm in a routine in the gym as well so if I have to suffer back pain then I suppose that's just tough . Can't be undoing the hard work .
I really really advise against lifting weights if you've a bad back mate. Seriously this is not a good idea. The chances is that you'll only do something more extreme which will set you back even further.

In your position i would honestly try and stick to a controlled eating plan with light exercises like walking if you really must do something.

I remember seeing a joke facebook group going back a few years, along the lines off, 'hate it when you have to move gym because the weights are too light for you', you've made that a reality lol

It's a weird one as some of the blokes that use it are huge. Guess you just find workarounds that use different weights/exercises. All that EPO pays off though ;)

I really really advise against lifting weights if you've a bad back mate. Seriously this is not a good idea. The chances is that you'll only do something more extreme which will set you back even further.

In your position i would honestly try and stick to a controlled eating plan with light exercises like walking if you really must do something.
the weights was more high rep low weight just to tone and help get a sweat on. I'm not bothered about heavy weights at all thankfully.So I'll leave that for at least a month definitely mate. But even if I just go walking on the treadmill No incline and a swim its at least keep me active . With the depression as well it's driving me mad sitting in all day the gym is one thing that takes my mind of it for a few hours

I've walked about 4 miles today for the first time in a while though it did give me a bit of pain it's bearable . I've got codeine and diazepam if it gets bad anyway .

Plus I'm running out of box sets to watch lol

Cheers mate

It's a weird one as some of the blokes that use it are huge. Guess you just find workarounds that use different weights/exercises. All that EPO pays off though ;)

Conversely, you see 'small' fellows e.g. scaffolders who are incredibly strong but don't look it. I've been getting more into calisthenics because I'm not looking to be big, but looking to increase strength/general conditioning. Have to say it's much more fun than lumping big weights about.

Conversely, you see 'small' fellows e.g. scaffolders who are incredibly strong but don't look it. I've been getting more into calisthenics because I'm not looking to be big, but looking to increase strength/general conditioning. Have to say it's much more fun than lumping big weights about.

Aye, I know what you mean. I'm only 57kg at the moment so am probably in that camp. Unless you're a rugby player or something, size is usually just a vanity thing. Strength all the way.

Aye, I know what you mean. I'm only 57kg at the moment so am probably in that camp. Unless you're a rugby player or something, size is usually just a vanity thing. Strength all the way.
57 kg ?? Crikey lol

Although you're more of endurance athlete, so i suppose it makes sense. Can't get my head around that though.

Is that because of the Italy trip? What's your usual weight?

Thought I was doing well having dropped 4kg to 88kg lol

Aye, it did lean me out a bit. Am normally around 58-60kg so not massively different. Not sure how accurate the scales are at this (I suspect not), but they suggested around 6% body fat so not bad.

57 kg ?? Crikey lol

Although you're more of endurance athlete, so i suppose it makes sense. Can't get my head around that though.

I'm dead short if that helps :)

Aye, it did lean me out a bit. Am normally around 58-60kg so not massively different. Not sure how accurate the scales are at this (I suspect not), but they suggested around 6% body fat so not bad.

I'm dead short if that helps :)

you need to get a few of these down you!

Irish-breakfast.jpg

What kind of sets are you doing ? I went through something similar last year and started to concentrate on my chest 3 times a week for a brief period of time and using my 90 minutes in the gym doing sets specifically for just the chest, completely exhausting the muscle group.

Bench Press (Barbell) 4 x 12 reps (1 minute rest between sets)
Incline fly (dumbbells) 3 x 10 reps (1 minute)
Incline press 4 x 10 reps (30 seconds)
Flat bench (dumbbells/palm facing forward) 3 x 12 reps (1 minute) and 1 set of reps until muscle failure
Flat bench (dumbbells/palm facing inward) 3 x 12 reps (1 minute) and 1 set of reps until muscle failure
Dips for chest (feet behind you and lean forward slightly) 3 sets of however many you can do
Exercise ball press (dumbbells) 4 x 12 reps (30 second)

Then do a series of 3 or 4 other things to finish a workout based on repping out. I think 80% of your chest workout should be to lift heavy and then the final 20% to finish, base it on repping out with lower weight. It could also be that you're not working your upper chest.

Cheers mate, I'll take note of that and mix it in with my current routine.

Usually I do 4 or 5 exercises such as dips, chest press (barbell or dumbell, depending on what is available), then 2 or 3 exercises of things like flies and close grip press or diamond press ups. I was thinking of doubling up like you said though and having one session lifting heavier weights and another going a bit lighter with higher reps.

Free weights?! Animal! My personal best at uni was 26's each side. Now struggling to do 15's Ffs.

Mate, honestly diet is the key! I've been eating super clean for a few months now and I've never progressed this quickly. 1 protein shake a day is the only supplement I take.

Ugh, not for me mate. Can't stomach that kind of grub these days. Big bowl of this though and I'm set ;)

07e847b225f93c68b0c3ff179da84943.jpg

I'm with you on that one Brucey. Every morning I have a pasta bowl full of porridge (with semi-skimmed milk, I can't hack water) and a box full of blueberries, blackberries, raspberries and strawberries. Such a nice breakfast.

Cheers mate, I'll take note of that and mix it in with my current routine.

Usually I do 4 or 5 exercises such as dips, chest press (barbell or dumbell, depending on what is available), then 2 or 3 exercises of things like flies and close grip press or diamond press ups. I was thinking of doubling up like you said though and having one session lifting heavier weights and another going a bit lighter with higher reps.

Mate, honestly diet is the key! I've been eating super clean for a few months now and I've never progressed this quickly. 1 protein shake a day is the only supplement I take.

I'm with you on that one Brucey. Every morning I have a pasta bowl full of porridge (with semi-skimmed milk, I can't hack water) and a box full of blueberries, blackberries, raspberries and strawberries. Such a nice breakfast.
Got to eat right too though. Remember you can't get big if you're not eating big.

You're not going to ' gain ' if you're evening meal is a piece of chicken and some green beans.

Are you taking any supplements ? Creatine etc...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back