Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

GOT Fitness LOG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I underestimated the rowing machine today . Usually do it using tebata a few times but I tried for an hour non stop and managed only 30 minutes .

Feel goosed . I had a jog after it and nearly collapsed 30minutes into it. So I've called it a day.

Think I need a pint now.

Back for another go tomorrow

Dingle marathon on Saturday.

Absolute [Poor language removed] set of hill climbs.

G7bVzBR.png

Was a killer that especially that climb the end, got round in just under 4hours which was the target. Looking forward to a few pints now! :pint2:

Good for you mate. Everyone is different i know but i think the last part of the workout helps a ton. The lower weight, repping out until muscle failure and feeling the burn is important.

If you can eat right then you're onto a winner. What i mean by that is eating big. Big meals with the correct amount of protein for you body weight.
Agreed. I've always struggled with the barbell on the last couple of reps, as I usually train alone and I loathe to ask someone to spot for me, so doing lower weight exercises suits me well.

It's funny though when I'm near the end of my session and I'm struggling to do incline (palms inwards) with 16kg dumbells!

I think my diet is pretty good all round but I could do with eating bigger evening meals. I usually get about 150g of protein in per day, which I think is about right for someone who weighs 80kg?

How far in miles should you be able to do ona exercise bike?

It's a bit of a how long is a piece of string question, but a couple of things to consider when riding indoors. The first is the heat. When I train on the turbo indoors, I have a bloody great fan in front of me to at least try and keep a bit cooler, and even that usually fails. Gyms very rarely have that, so overheating is likely to be a major issue. I can easily get through 1.5 litres of fluid on a 90 minute indoor session with a fan.

The other thing to consider is mental. It can get a bit boring riding indoors, and many cyclists really struggle with that aspect. I normally stick some cycling videos on my laptop, and some modern turbos allow you to virtually cycle in places as you ride on your machine, but if your gym just offers you a basic display, boredom may be a factor.

So, long story short, it may be worth thinking of short, hard sessions rather than longer ones. Maybe do a power interval ladder, so 2m as hard as you can, 2m recover, 3m as hard as you can, 3m recovery, 4m as hard as you can, 4m recovery, and then back down. Do that with a warm up and cool down and it'll be 30 minutes or so.

It's a bit of a how long is a piece of string question, but a couple of things to consider when riding indoors. The first is the heat. When I train on the turbo indoors, I have a bloody great fan in front of me to at least try and keep a bit cooler, and even that usually fails. Gyms very rarely have that, so overheating is likely to be a major issue. I can easily get through 1.5 litres of fluid on a 90 minute indoor session with a fan.

The other thing to consider is mental. It can get a bit boring riding indoors, and many cyclists really struggle with that aspect. I normally stick some cycling videos on my laptop, and some modern turbos allow you to virtually cycle in places as you ride on your machine, but if your gym just offers you a basic display, boredom may be a factor.

So, long story short, it may be worth thinking of short, hard sessions rather than longer ones. Maybe do a power interval ladder, so 2m as hard as you can, 2m recover, 3m as hard as you can, 3m recovery, 4m as hard as you can, 4m recovery, and then back down. Do that with a warm up and cool down and it'll be 30 minutes or so.

What would you average miles/times wise on a normal week with your training ?.I take it your in competitions often enough.

What would you average miles/times wise on a normal week with your training ?.I take it your in competitions often enough.

It fluctuates a bit, but I usually get in between 1,000-1,250km a month, so 250-300km a week. That usually consists of 3-4 sessions on the turbo and a longer ride at the weekend.

I don't really do races as they tend to favour bigger guys who can sprint, so most of the training is geared towards doing a European event or two in the summer.

The last few weeks have been a bit of a write off though as I've done quite a bit off the bike. The three peaks challenge was done a fortnight ago, and I did one of those mud assault course things with my brother last weekend, so thinking of using September as 'close season' and just relaxing a bit before doing base training from October.

Last edited:
It fluctuates a bit, but I usually get in between 1,000-1,250km a month, so 250-300km a week. That usually consists of 3-4 sessions on the turbo and a longer ride at the weekend.

I don't really do races as they tend to favour bigger guys who can sprint, so most of the training is geared towards doing a European event or two in the summer.

nice one,quite a commitment to the sport,worth it though no doubt,when I saw your pictures of the ride in Northern Italy.There has been an increase in the sport over the last couple of years I've Noticed over here in Munster,and I often see groups and teams going around Co Clare.
the equipment is improving all the time a friend of mine told me,so he finds he can do good distances when he goes,(he is a weekend exerciser).
think he wants to get into triathlon eventually, though why someone would want to jump on a bike after swimming is totally beyond me,that must be really painful,it takes all my efforts to do my 10k's let alone swim and jump on a bike after.

Looking forward to doing the Farnham Pilgrim Marathon tomorrow! Using it as a build up race towards a 50-miler in October. My running's come on leaps and bounds this year.

nice one,quite a commitment to the sport,worth it though no doubt,when I saw your pictures of the ride in Northern Italy.There has been an increase in the sport over the last couple of years I've Noticed over here in Munster,and I often see groups and teams going around Co Clare.
the equipment is improving all the time a friend of mine told me,so he finds he can do good distances when he goes,(he is a weekend exerciser).
think he wants to get into triathlon eventually, though why someone would want to jump on a bike after swimming is totally beyond me,that must be really painful,it takes all my efforts to do my 10k's let alone swim and jump on a bike after.

It's a different muscle group I guess. Long distance swimming is mainly upper body, and the cycling leg of triathlons tends to be a bit, erm, dull (imo). They're usually flat, and if you have a decent TT bike then you can probably comfortably get over 35kmh. I suspect most triathlons are won or lost on the run leg.

You can get some cracking looking ones though. I have a unabashed crush on Emma Pooley, and the events she does look awesome. She recently won the world duathlon title - http://www.triathlon.org/events/eve...an_long_distance_duathlon_world_championships - that consisted of a 10km run, 150km ride, 30km run, with the runs as much off-road as on road, and the bike leg featuring a degree of climbing (it's in Switzerland after all). She's also done triathlon events up Alp d'Huez, and the Swissman, which is essentially a swim across a lake, a granfondo style cycle, and then a run up a mountain

It is certainly growing in popularity though. I've been commuting a bit more this week, and the number of bikes is tremendous. I'd say that cyclists nearly outweigh cars on the roads, which is really nice to see.

Hey thanks for advice.

I did 10.04miles in 30 mins on friday.. Was knackered haha. But will try your idea as that sounds good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back