Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

GOT Fitness LOG

Status
Not open for further replies.
12 days off the gym and a week away on holiday and I've put 10lb on . Crazy as i haven't even gone overboard on the eating and ale.

On the way the gym now give myself 3 weeks to lose that holiday weight .

Not been the gym in a week now, feeling a bit crap.

Had to move 5 tonnes of firewood on monday though, so that was kind of a gym activity I guess... Sticking to home exercises for now though :(
@Baines' left foot what's your personal best on bench now? Remember a few pages back you said you were lagging a bit in it...

I've been on a september dryathlon - not had a drop of ale, which given how much I usually sink is a major undertaking. Amount of weight lost = zero thus far. Think I must be displacing the bevvy with pies and cakes.

Mulling over whether to keep it up - been a lot easier than I expected.

12 days off the gym and a week away on holiday and I've put 10lb on . Crazy as i haven't even gone overboard on the eating and ale.

On the way the gym now give myself 3 weeks to lose that holiday weight .

Obviously it may not be fat, but 10lbs of fat is tens of thousands of calories consumed in excess of what you burned off. That seems unlikely in 20 days unless you went mad. Are you keeping a food diary?

Obviously it may not be fat, but 10lbs of fat is tens of thousands of calories consumed in excess of what you burned off. That seems unlikely in 20 days unless you went mad. Are you keeping a food diary?
He can eat somewhat normally and still gain that, though, and then take it off somewhat easier.

A mate of mine was pretty fat back in the day, he lost something mad like 25kg in a few months, stayed off exercise for about 2 weeks while on holiday and without eating excessively he still gained 10+kg back... It's all about not giving up afterwards though, imo, and L4 is doing exactly that.

He can eat somewhat normally and still gain that, though, and then take it off somewhat easier.

A mate of mine was pretty fat back in the day, he lost something mad like 25kg in a few months, stayed off exercise for about 2 weeks while on holiday and without eating excessively he still gained 10+kg back... It's all about not giving up afterwards though, imo, and L4 is doing exactly that.

I suspect much of that could be water though. If you keep a food diary then you have a better idea of how much you're eating vs how much you're burning. It's better than guesstimating imo as we're usually quite a way off with these things. It also gives you a good idea of the nutritional value of foods and so on.

You don't have to keep it up forever (although I have), but doing it for at least a few months will tell you how your current lifestyle stacks up.

I suspect much of that could be water though. If you keep a food diary then you have a better idea of how much you're eating vs how much you're burning. It's better than guesstimating imo as we're usually quite a way off with these things. It also gives you a good idea of the nutritional value of foods and so on.

You don't have to keep it up forever (although I have), but doing it for at least a few months will tell you how your current lifestyle stacks up.
Agreed on that really, was just adding a slightly different viewpoint lol

You're Bruce Wayne though, a broken back is nothing for you!

Not been the gym in a week now, feeling a bit crap.

Had to move 5 tonnes of firewood on monday though, so that was kind of a gym activity I guess... Sticking to home exercises for now though :(
@Baines' left foot what's your personal best on bench now? Remember a few pages back you said you were lagging a bit in it...
I've not been going as much recently so I've plateaued a bit. I can do 80kg but it's a struggle. I have noticed my chest is getting bigger though.

i don't think it's fat tbh it's just what the scales say . In July I done my back in and gained 9lb in 10 days . I lost it 2 weeks later just power walking. So I'm not too worried . I use fat secret app to monitor food but I've not used it on holiday.

1 1/2 hour cardio circuit today done and it's improved my mood . Felt very sluggish and depressed since Monday . Exercise really does help

I've not been going as much recently so I've plateaued a bit. I can do 80kg but it's a struggle. I have noticed my chest is getting bigger though.
Boss.

I've gone up to 80kg myself, but just for a few reps sadly. Will have to do more chest and arms when I go back to Scotland soon, like. Obviously I'll be weaker as I've not gone in a bit though :(

What's more, bigger isn't even better a lot of the time.

http://www.mmu.ac.uk/news/news-items/3782/

MUSCLE from bodybuilders produces less force than muscle from people who do not weight train, a new study shows.

Individual muscle fibres of bodybuilders were found to be extraordinarily large and to be able to generate forces that far exceed those of other people.

However, when researchers tested muscle cells from bodybuilders they discovered that they produced less force per gram than muscle cells from people who did not weight train.

Excessive muscle growth from bodybuilding could cause a reduction in muscle quality thereby causing the discrepancy in cellular force, results published inExperimental Physiologysuggest.

Muscle quality

Professor Hans Degens, from Manchester Metropolitan University and lead investigator, said: “Most of us are impressed by the enormous muscle bulk of bodybuilders and think that these people must be extremely strong, like the ‘Incredible Hulk’. We found that their muscles and also their individual muscle cells are extraordinarily large, and can generate forces that far exceed those of other people.

“The surprising thing, however, was that a gram of muscle from bodybuilders produced less force than that from non-bodybuilders, and it thus seems that the ‘muscle quality’ is less in bodybuilders.

“It appears that excessive muscle growth may have detrimental effects on the quality of the muscle, and one may well be better off with normal-sized muscles than with metabolically expensive large muscles.

“We had no indication that the proteins generating force - muscle motor proteins - work less in bodybuilders, but it could be that they have fewer motor proteins per gram muscle. It would be interesting to see what aspect in the training of bodybuilders causes this decrease in muscle quality.”

Training tips

Researchers took small muscle samples from the thigh of 12 male bodybuilders, six power athletes, such as sprinters, and 14 men who were physically active but did not weight train, isolating single muscle cells from the sample.

Researchers analysed the muscle cells’ contractions – resembling someone lifting suitcases of different weights – and measured the speed and force produced. From this, they were able to calculate the muscle quality.

Prof Degens added: “In power athletes, however, the muscle quality was improved. The training method seems to have an impact on muscle quality, which is of great importance for trainers and coaches interested in improving either performance or appearance of athletes.”

The study suggests that high-intensity, low-volume resistance training with aerobic exercise, as performed by power athletes, is beneficial to ‘peak power’ as opposed to bodybuilding.

Boss.

I've gone up to 80kg myself, but just for a few reps sadly. Will have to do more chest and arms when I go back to Scotland soon, like. Obviously I'll be weaker as I've not gone in a bit though :(
You might be surprised by how little strength you've lost, but even if not you'll get it back in a week or two.

What's more, bigger isn't even better a lot of the time.

http://www.mmu.ac.uk/news/news-items/3782/

MUSCLE from bodybuilders produces less force than muscle from people who do not weight train, a new study shows.

Individual muscle fibres of bodybuilders were found to be extraordinarily large and to be able to generate forces that far exceed those of other people.

However, when researchers tested muscle cells from bodybuilders they discovered that they produced less force per gram than muscle cells from people who did not weight train.

Excessive muscle growth from bodybuilding could cause a reduction in muscle quality thereby causing the discrepancy in cellular force, results published inExperimental Physiologysuggest.

Muscle quality

Professor Hans Degens, from Manchester Metropolitan University and lead investigator, said: “Most of us are impressed by the enormous muscle bulk of bodybuilders and think that these people must be extremely strong, like the ‘Incredible Hulk’. We found that their muscles and also their individual muscle cells are extraordinarily large, and can generate forces that far exceed those of other people.

“The surprising thing, however, was that a gram of muscle from bodybuilders produced less force than that from non-bodybuilders, and it thus seems that the ‘muscle quality’ is less in bodybuilders.

“It appears that excessive muscle growth may have detrimental effects on the quality of the muscle, and one may well be better off with normal-sized muscles than with metabolically expensive large muscles.

“We had no indication that the proteins generating force - muscle motor proteins - work less in bodybuilders, but it could be that they have fewer motor proteins per gram muscle. It would be interesting to see what aspect in the training of bodybuilders causes this decrease in muscle quality.”

Training tips

Researchers took small muscle samples from the thigh of 12 male bodybuilders, six power athletes, such as sprinters, and 14 men who were physically active but did not weight train, isolating single muscle cells from the sample.

Researchers analysed the muscle cells’ contractions – resembling someone lifting suitcases of different weights – and measured the speed and force produced. From this, they were able to calculate the muscle quality.

Prof Degens added: “In power athletes, however, the muscle quality was improved. The training method seems to have an impact on muscle quality, which is of great importance for trainers and coaches interested in improving either performance or appearance of athletes.”

The study suggests that high-intensity, low-volume resistance training with aerobic exercise, as performed by power athletes, is beneficial to ‘peak power’ as opposed to bodybuilding.
It sounds bad, but I honestly don't care too much so long as I look decent!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back