Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

GOT Fitness LOG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do (well, did - been a bit slack recently) a 20 min kettlebell routine twice a week, and running. I'm very skinny but I'm really happy with my physique. If 'real results' mean looking like Mighty Mouse, then count me out.

Whats your kettleball routine and what weight(s) do you use?

I do the running and swimming but a 20 min routine would be good on days I cant escape the kids.

Whats your kettleball routine and what weight(s) do you use?

I do the running and swimming but a 20 min routine would be good on days I cant escape the kids.
I use a DVD called 'Kettlercise - Just For Women'. It's certainly NOT just for women! It has a 20 min and 60 min routine, and an 8 min abs, which is great.

I think I'm using an 8kg weight.

I use a DVD called 'Kettlercise - Just For Women'. It's certainly NOT just for women! It has a 20 min and 60 min routine, and an 8 min abs, which is great.

I think I'm using an 8kg weight.

I will look that up. I imagine the sweaty women in Lycra are good for your *cough cough * blood pressure too.

Compound exercises hit several areas of your body. For example dips will work your chest and triceps, and dead lifts work your back and legs (they work a lot of your body but they're the two main areas).

Bicep curls on the other hand are an isolated exercise because they only work your biceps.

I'm sure there's probably someone on here who can give much better advice but there's some basic stuff anyway!

You know more than me! Thanks a lot

Had a week of riding in Slovenia last week with the other half. Smashing place to ride a bike, a real hidden gem.

Went over the Vrsic pass, which is a cobbled climb that is said to have inspired Alps d'Huez with their numbered hairpins -

Prelaz_Vrsic_2681440k.jpg

The place we stayed in was right on the border with Italy (and Austria) so had a super ride into Italy, with the Passo Predil snaking up next to the lake of the same name from Italy into Slovenia. With each hairpin you got a bit higher and the view of the lake became better. Stunning. There was a nice fort at the top too.

h8m-uC3x--r6oBaXUaxCedrRJkazY6dAIiQ7Ih_r2y7wqJrzovfIgdY8UDw3k0xTGpEskwSQGCh2s45TOzhJ-_cseFgMbqdMeFU=s0-d-e1-ft

Then you drop down from there towards the Mangart pass. It was amazing because you descend through a forest and then the road opens up to this. Jaw dropping.

rHKaJbcCDIvC2QVA-eaCRAH67bGY4aS-uv11vEMDsaIh7HXSZ8qMDLDcHjZZfHB6Ps8DU3KKw6lPdvalCKpSyFfj1POGPAQc1jV0=s0-d-e1-ft

Mangart itself is a straight up and down, but it was a lovely climb

IMG_1792-e1435779037118.jpg

then it was down and over the bridge and into the stunning Soca valley

1YqNbX4G4D84TLYFKSOvjO9joTCYkEYRoa-8SmPcBK6mXQrtWJKFARwST0Ke3xyjlvRV3MqXtyQQPDk4AngNqLnYGEefRHc=s0-d-e1-ft

and then back over Vrsic from the south side. We then descended the cobbles and back into Italy where we climbed a short climb to the Lago di Fusine, which was in the foothills of the Mangart. There's a restaurant next to the lake with stunning food, and the view, oh the view.

DSC_0315_bearbeitet-2.jpg

From the other side of our place you could easily get into Austria via the Worzenpass, which is a real brute of a climb.

Graz-Weissensee__2013_21.jpg

The view on the descent back to the village was alright though.

jh_wurz1.jpg

Had a week of riding in Slovenia last week with the other half. Smashing place to ride a bike, a real hidden gem.

Went over the Vrsic pass, which is a cobbled climb that is said to have inspired Alps d'Huez with their numbered hairpins -

Prelaz_Vrsic_2681440k.jpg

The place we stayed in was right on the border with Italy (and Austria) so had a super ride into Italy, with the Passo Predil snaking up next to the lake of the same name from Italy into Slovenia. With each hairpin you got a bit higher and the view of the lake became better. Stunning. There was a nice fort at the top too.

h8m-uC3x--r6oBaXUaxCedrRJkazY6dAIiQ7Ih_r2y7wqJrzovfIgdY8UDw3k0xTGpEskwSQGCh2s45TOzhJ-_cseFgMbqdMeFU=s0-d-e1-ft

Then you drop down from there towards the Mangart pass. It was amazing because you descend through a forest and then the road opens up to this. Jaw dropping.

rHKaJbcCDIvC2QVA-eaCRAH67bGY4aS-uv11vEMDsaIh7HXSZ8qMDLDcHjZZfHB6Ps8DU3KKw6lPdvalCKpSyFfj1POGPAQc1jV0=s0-d-e1-ft

Mangart itself is a straight up and down, but it was a lovely climb

IMG_1792-e1435779037118.jpg

then it was down and over the bridge and into the stunning Soca valley

1YqNbX4G4D84TLYFKSOvjO9joTCYkEYRoa-8SmPcBK6mXQrtWJKFARwST0Ke3xyjlvRV3MqXtyQQPDk4AngNqLnYGEefRHc=s0-d-e1-ft

and then back over Vrsic from the south side. We then descended the cobbles and back into Italy where we climbed a short climb to the Lago di Fusine, which was in the foothills of the Mangart. There's a restaurant next to the lake with stunning food, and the view, oh the view.

DSC_0315_bearbeitet-2.jpg

From the other side of our place you could easily get into Austria via the Worzenpass, which is a real brute of a climb.

Graz-Weissensee__2013_21.jpg

The view on the descent back to the village was alright though.

jh_wurz1.jpg

That looks amazing.

My dad's really into his cycling - I'm more running and HIIT, but could do with getting on a bike a bit more (I am a bit of a wimp but, I'll admit it, hate riding on the roads - at least in Britain), but was thinking of treating him to a holiday like this sometime.

That looks amazing.

My dad's really into his cycling - I'm more running and HIIT, but could do with getting on a bike a bit more (I am a bit of a wimp but, I'll admit it, hate riding on the roads - at least in Britain), but was thinking of treating him to a holiday like this sometime.

It's a really swell place. We stayed in a village called Ratece and there are climbs pretty much everywhere you look, whether for cycling, running or hiking. There's also a lot of watersports on offer in Soca, and even an Olympic size ski-jump facility just down the road in Planica

Nordic_Ski_Center_Planica-AKKA-Abiro-07.jpg

It's a new facility that they're still doing a bit of work on, but we saw some 7 year old kids zooming down the baby ramp when we were there, which was pretty cool. If you fancied it, there's a zip line on one of the slopes, which is advertised as the highest in the world and is designed to replicate the feel of doing a jump. There's also an indoor training centre for cross-country skiers.

If you carry on from there it's a nice walk to the foothills of the Jalovec mountain where there's a couple of lovely waterfalls, and I'm told a stunning view if you climb to the top.

pictures%5Ccycling%5C1%5C2013%5CTamar_487034.jpg

Just seen @The Cowboy 's time. That time is top.

Think my quickest 5k (on a 1.5 - 2.5 incline on a treadmill) is about 23 minutes.

Haven't been out on a road/terrain run in a good while. When I was at college (so 16/17) I dropped from 13 stone 6 (I was bang on 6ft at the time, still am, actually) to 10 stone 10 in the space of eight months (October through to June) just with running. I started the gym up as well around half-way into that, but I just overdid it on the cardio ahaha!

Never felt better but in the end I was possibly too skinny in that, for whatever reason, the weight all seemed to drop off my legs, arms and face, but the stubborn belly fat stayed. I've got a naturally slow metabolism, even though I've always done exercise and eat well, I find it hard to shift weight. I got to a point I was happy with when I was about 18, around about 11 and a half stone - but tbh as soon as I started full-time work/commute to Manchester from Yorkshire each day (and drinking, to boot!) the weight started coming back after a year or so.

Started up in the gym last year and started on HIIT. I do enjoy a steady jog when I get out on the road, but it's having the time - so HIIT is great for at least building the fitness levels up. I'm still struggling to shift some stubborn weight, but weirdly enough I can fit into the same size clothes that I could do when I was about a stone lighter. Possibly just down to a change in body shape more than anything. Just recently I've change my HIIT routine a bit - before I was doing a 3: 1 ratio - in regards to work:rest.

Now I'm doing 1:1.5 ratio in regards work:rest, and tbh I think the results in terms of the body fat stripping away are starting to become apparent. My fitness was already there, so I'm now able to cane it for the minute of work, and recuperate a bit better. Whereas before I could do 20/25 minutes to fit into the rest of my workout and not be too tired to get the other exercises done (including an interval-swim which is always a killer afterwards), I can now do 30/35 minutes and feel tired out, but with enough in the tank. Would definitely recommend HIIT for anybody who wants some quick(ish) results in terms of fitness and weight loss. If it can be combined with a terrain jog (or even a hike/cycle for one night a week), all the better - and it's a great way to train for half-marathons etc that way as you're mixing the high intensity with endurance throughout the week.

It's a really swell place. We stayed in a village called Ratece and there are climbs pretty much everywhere you look, whether for cycling, running or hiking. There's also a lot of watersports on offer in Soca, and even an Olympic size ski-jump facility just down the road in Planica

Nordic_Ski_Center_Planica-AKKA-Abiro-07.jpg

It's a new facility that they're still doing a bit of work on, but we saw some 7 year old kids zooming down the baby ramp when we were there, which was pretty cool. If you fancied it, there's a zip line on one of the slopes, which is advertised as the highest in the world and is designed to replicate the feel of doing a jump. There's also an indoor training centre for cross-country skiers.

If you carry on from there it's a nice walk to the foothills of the Jalovec mountain where there's a couple of lovely waterfalls, and I'm told a stunning view if you climb to the top.

pictures%5Ccycling%5C1%5C2013%5CTamar_487034.jpg

cheers Bruce! Looks great.

I've got a few trips in the pipeline, so to speak.

California is the first - or at least, Las Vegas to LA, up the 101 and on towards Vancouver. More of a road trip but something I've always wanted to do.

My dad lived out in a tiny town called Pescadaro in the early 90s, (weirdly enough he only decided to tell me a few weeks ago that Neil Young lived in the ranch next door!) and we stayed there when I was younger - then on to Boulder Creek in the Redwoods - so that's on my list of things to do while I'm young and can take the time out to do it properly.

But after that, I'd love to do Europe - as in what you did. I'm not into backpacking or the like (bloody students ;) ), but a holiday like yours looks the business.

Just back from the Southend half marathon. Crossed the line on 1:35:40, should get my official time around 6pm today, fingers crossed I've come in under 1:35 (I think I did, as I wasn't in the first wave of runners so could be as much as 2 mins difference).

Tired, but massively pleased with my debut time.

Impressive. Well done pal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back