Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

GOT Fitness LOG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been struggling badly in the gym since Christmas but still making a bit of progress. I've started doing the odd session with a mate, we did chest last week and it helps having a spotter so much for certain exercises.

Final furlong of dry January here - lost 4 kg. Think I'll persevere with it, but will get on the bevvy for special occasions.

I got an entry for the Fred Whitton in May - a savage bike sportive in the Lake District. 100 miles over the four main passes with the worst of them all, Hardknott, coming right at the end. Loads of training to do, but the thing that will make the biggest difference is losing weight.

Hardknott-Ramp.jpg

Final furlong of dry January here - lost 4 kg. Think I'll persevere with it, but will get on the bevvy for special occasions.

I got an entry for the Fred Whitton in May - a savage bike sportive in the Lake District. 100 miles over the four main passes with the worst of them all, Hardknott, coming right at the end. Loads of training to do, but the thing that will make the biggest difference is losing weight.

Hardknott-Ramp.jpg

The Fred looks bloody horrible I have to say. A friend moved up there last year, so have done a bit of riding, and whilst it's a very pretty area, those insanely steep climbs aren't my bag at all. The descent down the other side isn't a great deal of fun either (but I am a noted rubbish descender)

You obviously know more about this stuff than I do. Avocado is a good fat isn't it? Although I hate those slimy tasteless things.

I base most of my meals around good carbs/high protein. So I normally eat brown pasta, brown rice, quinoa, sweet potato, jacket potato. Not sure how much fat is in that lot.

Erm, lad ??

You need to whack a load of seasoning in it and mash it up. I use it as a paste on wraps with a load of salt and pepper, often add some hot sauce (not the full of sugar crap, something like cholula). Avocado on its own doesn't taste great but it's one of the best things you can eat.

The Fred looks bloody horrible I have to say. A friend moved up there last year, so have done a bit of riding, and whilst it's a very pretty area, those insanely steep climbs aren't my bag at all. The descent down the other side isn't a great deal of fun either (but I am a noted rubbish descender)
yeah I'll be taking the descents very steady. I know how to descend a mountain bike but very little experience on the road, will prob go up there for a practice beforehand. Good excuse to get some hydro disks, as the cable ones I have are a bit average [I'll be doing it on my cross bike].

I know I can do those sort of climbs in isolation, it's just putting it all together in a massive ride is an unknown quantity for me. Going to try and do as much training as I can without going deep into the numbers and taking it too seriously, as I'll be happy if I can just get round and enjoy the day.

yeah I'll be taking the descents very steady. I know how to descend a mountain bike but very little experience on the road, will prob go up there for a practice beforehand. Good excuse to get some hydro disks, as the cable ones I have are a bit average [I'll be doing it on my cross bike].

I know I can do those sort of climbs in isolation, it's just putting it all together in a massive ride is an unknown quantity for me. Going to try and do as much training as I can without going deep into the numbers and taking it too seriously, as I'll be happy if I can just get round and enjoy the day.

Aye, it's all about gearing. You need mountain bike type gears really if you want to get up them at any kind of cadence, especially for Wynrose and Hardknott when you've got 90 miles in your legs already. I've got a 28 on the back, and despite being 58kg and reasonable at climbing, I was grinding up them at around 50 rpm. Horrible. Brought back many an unpleasant memory of the Mortirolo :lol:

Re the descents, I wouldn't be worried about getting down them if it was only you you had to worry about, but you've got a lot of others who might not be quite as careful. Hopefully everyone gives them the respect they deserve and I'm sure you'll have a day to remember.

Erm, lad ??

You need to whack a load of seasoning in it and mash it up. I use it as a paste on wraps with a load of salt and pepper, often add some hot sauce (not the full of sugar crap, something like cholula). Avocado on its own doesn't taste great but it's one of the best things you can eat.
I might give that a go. I'm all for anything healthy as long as I can at least tolerate the taste/texture. I used to put them in smoothies when I bothered using my Nutribullet.

Been swimming 3/4 times a week since Xmas. Starting to get into running as well, struggled like hell last week cause footy aside it was the first proper running I had done in ages. Don't particularly wanna get any bigger, so have knocked the weights on the head for a bit. Trying to focus solely on cardio.

Been swimming 3/4 times a week since Xmas. Starting to get into running as well, struggled like hell last week cause footy aside it was the first proper running I had done in ages. Don't particularly wanna get any bigger, so have knocked the weights on the head for a bit. Trying to focus solely on cardio.
Doing compound weights should make you lose bodyfat quicker than cardio, with the right healthy eating approach.
Cardio solely will just wear you out. It uses the same energy system all the time.

You'll only get bigger by having a calorie surplus i.e. eating more calories then your body requires. If your goal is weight loss then I'd assume you'd be in a calorie deficit, and therefore would be unable to bulk up. Knocking weights in the head would be counter productive

Doing compound weights should make you lose bodyfat quicker than cardio, with the right healthy eating approach.
Cardio solely will just wear you out. It uses the same energy system all the time.

Depends what you mean by "cardio". I personally hate that catch-all term, which can be used to describe anything from 60% of max HR upwards, but a 60% workout vs a 90% workout work totally different energy systems and have very different physiological and metabolic effects.

cardio usually means plodding along on a treadmill, rower or bike for 20 mins plus
waste of bloody time, bad your body (rower is the best of them, with proper technique)

a skipping rope is better use of your time

You'll only get bigger by having a calorie surplus i.e. eating more calories then your body requires. If your goal is weight loss then I'd assume you'd be in a calorie deficit, and therefore would be unable to bulk up. Knocking weights in the head would be counter productive

Yeah. I don't want to lose a lot of weight, more just running and swimming to keep in shape and mix up my exercise regime a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back