2018/19 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
The same as everyone?

Everyone watches the game without prejudice and nobody actively look and fester on certain players?

Mate - there's fans in this thread fuming because he scored a goal.

Not fuming because he scored though. Stating that his entire career is based off stats and what he offers for 90 minutes is not acceptable.

If you look at someone like Pienaar who had a poor return for both goals and assists yet offered so much more to the team. That’s the point, the argument for Siggurdsson is all about stats rather than what people are seeing

Like I said in my previous post, i think he is one of our issues (along with others) but his stats hide this from being brought forward

He is exactly the player I watched at Swansea and Tottenham.

Nothing has changed about his game. He is totally anonymous for most of the game but is really good at finding space in the box and finishing chances.

He is an extremely limiting player in that to play him you basically have to redesign our midfield and attack and he is nowhere near good enough to justify that.

Absolutely. People defending him are taking a really simplistic view of the game and letting his stats cloud over overall performances.

He is the opposite of Rooney in a way. Rooney would get too involved to the team’s detriment. Sigurdsson doesn’t get involved enough to the team’s detriment.

He is too direct when we need to be in control of the game. If Gomes is having an off day (and he’s had a lot lately), he really struggles to have an effect on the game at all.

Strikers can get away with contributing zero for 90 minutes, if they pop up with a goal. Not something I always agree with, but that’s how it is..

In a midfield role you simply have to contribute more than Sigurdsson does. He’s an absolute passenger for 80% of the game.

He has no pace. Everything is a flick. Great when they come off, but they mostly don’t. I just want a player who gets on the ball & dictates play.

He is the opposite of Rooney in a way. Rooney would get too involved to the team’s detriment. Sigurdsson doesn’t get involved enough to the team’s detriment.

He is too direct when we need to be in control of the game. If Gomes is having an off day (and he’s had a lot lately), he really struggles to have an effect on the game at all.
Another opposite is Rooney was quality.

I'm going to say it lads.

We miss Ross Barkley.

Not even close. Sigurdsson may not be the answer but football is a much wider world than him and a home grown player who couldn't wait to get away. Both are extremely flawed players but that goal today means Sigurdsson has already equalled the best Premier League goal return that Barkley managed for us, 8, and he's done it in January.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back