2018/19 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not even close. Sigurdsson may not be the answer but football is a much wider world than him and a home grown player who couldn't wait to get away. Both are extremely flawed players but that goal today means Sigurdsson has already equalled the best Premier League goal return that Barkley managed for us, 8, and he's done it in January.

Barkley offers more on the ball and puts defenders on the back foot

I’m sure Gylfi has more assist and goals than both Pienaar and Arteta, but I’d happily take either of them over him

He was an embarrassment today and by hiding that performance behind his stats shows that the only justification to his career is what’s on paper rather than what happens for 90mins

Barkley offers more on the ball and puts defenders on the back foot

I’m sure Gylfi has more assist and goals than both Pienaar and Arteta, but I’d happily take either of them over him

He was an embarrassment today and by hiding that performance behind his stats shows that the only justification to his career is what’s on paper rather than what happens for 90mins

No he doesn't. Barkley has never been a good creative player ever in his career. He was at his best when he was a tank running past people for fun and taking shots on from distance but he doesn't even do that anymore. Chelsea fans really, really hate him. He is still plagued by all the inconsistency he showed at us. And just as Sigurdsson goes missing a lot, do you remember some of the disappearing acts Barkley used to do? Martinez, his biggest sycophantic cheerleader, took him off at half time in his final match at Sunderland because his performance was so gutless.

Pointless debate though because neither are great players. Wishing Barkley back though is just crazy.

No he doesn't. Barkley has never been a good creative player ever in his career. He was at his best when he was a tank running past people for fun and taking shots on from distance but he doesn't even do that anymore. Chelsea fans really, really hate him. He is still plagued by all the inconsistency he showed at us. And just as Sigurdsson goes missing a lot, do you remember some of the disappearing acts Barkley used to do? Martinez, his biggest sycophantic cheerleader, took him off at half time in his final match at Sunderland because his performance was so gutless.

Pointless debate though because neither are great players. Wishing Barkley back though is just crazy.

Forget Ross but...his type of player is far more suited to our needs than Sigurdsson.

If you can't see that you don't know what you are watching.

The obvious gap in our team is of a player who can pick up the ball in midfield and progress it forwards either by running or passing it forwards.

Having a player standing up front touching it 20 times a game is no good to us.

A player who is involved twice as much as he is from deeper on the pitch would be far more use to us.

We get dominated in midfield because it is 2 against 3 every game.

Forget Ross but...his type of player is far more suited to our needs than Sigurdsson.

If you can't see that you don't know what you are watching.

The obvious gap in our team is of a player who can pick up the ball in midfield and progress it forwards either by running or passing it forwards.

Having a player standing up front touching it 20 times a game is no good to us.

A player who is involved twice as much as he is from deeper on the pitch would be far more use to us.

We get dominated in midfield because it is 2 against 3 every game.

There's a lot of truth to that but that shouldn't just be a criticism of Sigurdsson or the position he plays in, Spurs play Christian Erickson as their main creator and he is a similar type (although far better player) to Sigurdsson in that he's slow but does all his good work when given the ball in space. They put high energy, box to box players around him who always break forward and give him options. What kind of options did Gomes or Gana provide provide to anyone on the ball today? Blame Sigurdsson all you want, he was crap and anyone blessed with the gift of sight knows that. But we have far more, and far bigger problems than a midfielder who has scored 10 goals I believe in all comps this season before February.

There's a lot of truth to that but that shouldn't just be a criticism of Sigurdsson or the position he plays in, Spurs play Christian Erickson as their main creator and he is a similar type (although far better player) to Sigurdsson in that he's slow but does all his good work when given the ball in space. They put high energy, box to box players around him who always break forward and give him options. What kind of options did Gomes or Gana provide provide to anyone on the ball today? Blame Sigurdsson all you want, he was crap and anyone blessed with the gift of sight knows that. But we have far more, and far bigger problems than a midfielder who has scored 10 goals I believe in all comps this season before February.

"Sigurdsson isn't a major problem because Eriksen is good at Spurs" is quite the take amigo

"Sigurdsson isn't a major problem because Eriksen is good at Spurs" is quite the take amigo

Not quite sure how you think that was the point of my argument? My point was agreeing with @Timak that we need a player who can run with the ball and pass through midfield, but that player could play anywhere in midfield and doesn't necessarily need to be a replacement for Sigurdsson. He could quite easily play deeper and in the same side with Sigurdsson, just as Spurs play lots of runners around their main creator. We don't, I like both Gomes and Gana but our midfield is incredibly slow, Sigurdsson is part of that problem, but, not the only problem.

I ended my post saying that we have far bigger problems than a midfield player who is in double figures before February. He could quite conceivably end this season with 15-17 goals, I'm not happy with his contribution right now but I can't hate on a player who may post those kind of numbers, especially when compared to the nothingness a lot of his teammates are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back