2018/19 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly don't see how anyone could stick up for him unless they're just trying to argue for the sake of it. The odd goal doesn't justify his complete anonymity for the other 99% of games nor his poor set pieces which were his bread and butter at Swansea. Just like man utd with Schneiderlin, Tottenham knew they had a player not good enough.

Hindsight aye !

I think we would still get £25-30mil for him in the summer because of his stats including his goals.

Someone will pay for that.

Seriously doubt we'd get that for him, would be a very good deal though. He is probably on a serious wedge as well which makes shifting him even harder.

I think the only hope we'd have of getting a deal like that for him is if a team from China comes in with a similar deal for him like the Arnautovic transfer going on now.

He’s played consistently for about 2 years without a decent break. Has looked knackered since before Christmas. Needs to be dropped for a rest and either stick Bernard in there or Lookman.

I like him. He is a top professional, has an excellent work ethic and represents the attributes a footballer should have. He is hard not to like.

But playing him, guts the club of any chance of winning battles in midfield. This pseudo 442 formation we are playing means we have nothing in midfield. Sure, 442 is fine if you have two large lumps of coal and enjoy boring football alas Burnley. The guy is a second striker. He is not a player who can get the ball from deep midfield and create, and if we're going to play a more possession style, fast build up style type of game - he needs to moved on. Take nothing away from what makes him a fantastic footballer, but he just doesn't suit the style of play Silva wants to implement and the fans expect. We're playing a midfield two without a target man, its football suicide.

Aside from a striker, RB another CM we are desperate, and have been for 1.5 years for someone to be able to carry the ball. Who can drop deeper, and still represent as a number 10 in and around the box. That is how 433 formations work. Trying to play a 433 formation when you're playing 442 masquerading it as 4231 just doesn't work.

Problem with Sig is unless he's producing assists or shots you don't see him involved enough for my money he should actually be playing deeper in more of a flat three. This number ten thing means he can be largely ineffective in general play for many games.

You all crack me up. Who on earth would score goals if he was gone? If he's a second striker, he's doing his job. He's the only one even getting shots anywhere near goal.

I love how everyone is saying how badly we need somenoe to hold and carry the ball. That's Gomes role. He's capable, but he's not doing a good job of it right now. Simple as that.

It's like he can't even do the basics anymore. There were too many times today when you saw him strolling around. It's like he is absolutely knackered but only plays 1 day a week for the last 3-4 months. Wayyyy too often our attacks break down when the ball goes to him. His first touch was just terrible today as well which is weird because that's like the basics at that point. Also has a penchant for kicking it right at the defender when attempting to cross when near the 18yard box.

Just such a peculiar player. He was very good to excellent for about 6 weeks but before that and after that he is a passenger. His tenure at Everton for the fee they paid and the wages he is being paid is very poor tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back