2018/19 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last chance to sell him this summer otherwise it's an incredibly big investment pretty much gone wrong and no chance to recoup any decent money. We may be able to con somebody out of 20m if we're really lucky. His goal return this season will be great, in all honesty, but his all round play is very poor and doesn't suit us at all.

At this point I don’t even care about what we recoup, I just want to see a different player in his place.

You all crack me up. Who on earth would score goals if he was gone? If he's a second striker, he's doing his job. He's the only one even getting shots anywhere near goal.

I love how everyone is saying how badly we need somenoe to hold and carry the ball. That's Gomes role. He's capable, but he's not doing a good job of it right now. Simple as that.

Completely agreed. He is our top scorer. Yet on here, everyone goes on as if he scores “the odd goal” and as if they are easy finishes. He slots well, and is likely our best finisher. If you watch the way we set up, he is often higher than our striker or in line with them, especially when opposition defence has the ball. He is then also being expected (by the fans) to be involved defensively and across the midfield. He actually tries to do this, which when playing effectively as a second striker, is more than should be expected.

Let’s not blame him for the set up being wrong. Which it is obvious that it is.

It's like people haven't been watching him the last couple months. He was poor pretty much the entirety of last season, started the season poor, had a stretch of like 7 matches where he was excellent but now has been poor since the RS match.

Yesterday the game was passing him by completely, he wasn't moving the ball around and his first touch was on par with classic Lukaku, just abysmal.

And the excuse is either "he's exhausted" from playing one match a week all season or "it's everyone else that's making him look bad".

I don't even mind him when he drops back after subs are made, I think he's good when he drops back and gets involved, but when he's the main creative guy in the centre he sucks. I know he scores, but, he's not unlocking defences. Stick Bernard or even Lookman in that position and it would make a massive difference.

It's like people haven't been watching him the last couple months. He was poor pretty much the entirety of last season, started the season poor, had a stretch of like 7 matches where he was excellent but now has been poor since the RS match.

Yesterday the game was passing him by completely, he wasn't moving the ball around and his first touch was on par with classic Lukaku, just abysmal.

And the excuse is either "he's exhausted" from playing one match a week all season or "it's everyone else that's making him look bad".

Every player looks craps since the Liverpool game.

Completely agreed. He is our top scorer. Yet on here, everyone goes on as if he scores “the odd goal” and as if they are easy finishes. He slots well, and is likely our best finisher. If you watch the way we set up, he is often higher than our striker or in line with them, especially when opposition defence has the ball. He is then also being expected (by the fans) to be involved defensively and across the midfield. He actually tries to do this, which when playing effectively as a second striker, is more than should be expected.

And Rooney was our top scorer last year but look what a detriment effect he had on our side

The setup is to suit him (4-2-3-1) because silva acknowledged he can’t setup any differently to accommodate him

Not denying that at all and Gylfi isn't the worst although in some matches he has been. It's like he had a fan club that refuses to acknowledge he's been poor.

I agree he has been poor. And very poor. But I also think we would be much worse off without him. There’s plenty of reasons why it isn’t working, but I’m terms of effort and the work he puts in, we would miss it. He can also create something out of nothing or score something out of nothing, which may at some point spark our resurgence. I don’t have faith that many of our other players could produce that bit of magic out of nothing.

I’d like to see us shift to a 433 have Bernard more central (like what the RS did with Coutinho) and just let him find pockets of space to keep the ball moving.
Yes!! I think he'd be Incredible in the middle. He's not that rapid so I don't think he's as affective on the wing. You can see from his little flicks and first time passes that he's got the capabilities to be a playmaker. And he's a great dribbler.

I agree he has been poor. And very poor. But I also think we would be much worse off without him. There’s plenty of reasons why it isn’t working, but I’m terms of effort and the work he puts in, we would miss it. He can also create something out of nothing or score something out of nothing, which may at some point spark our resurgence. I don’t have faith that many of our other players could produce that bit of magic out of nothing.

Really not seeing this at all. Not one bit, sorry.

The setup is to suit him (4-2-3-1) because silva acknowledged he can’t setup any differently to accommodate him

But at the same time, he is being told to be in line or higher than the striker at times (it’s obvious he has been told to as they set up like that) which I don’t think suits him. He does it and works he o do it but he then can’t be expected to be tracking back like he is

For our creative midfielder, he offers so little.

I mean, if theres one thing that’s never been more true it’s that Stats don’t tell the whole picture. He’s our Top Scorer this season with 9 goals, which considering its Jan is a brilliant return. But it’s not enough for me.

£45m record buy, a creative midfielder, yet too often in a blue shirt, he’s often let the game pass him by. He’s too often a passenger, and when it’s not going our way, you need someone to step and get involved, Gylfi sits there flat on his feet, and a half yard behind every 50/50.

I know no one is playing great at the moment, but I’d expect a lot more from him for his price.

I don’t know, I just expected more.

Don’t get me started on his set pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back