2018/19 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually think hes better when playing deeper. Carries the ball well, provides support to the four players ahead of him by running from deep. Capable of striking the ball consistently well from distance.

Also whether he is playing well or not he doesn't shy from the ball and is happy to take responsibility for it.

Winner against Cardiff when it looked like we were playing out a frustrating draw. Superb winner against Leicester. Gave us a hope against Spurs to make it 4-2, albeit short lived. Gave us some hope against Utd by grabbing one back. Got two against Fulham, including the opener in what was a frustrating game up to that point.

Understand that doesn't fit your agenda, but they're facts. Name me 4 first team players who've been better than him this season.

Screenshot 2019-01-20 at 13.07.39.webp

Screenshot 2019-01-20 at 13.08.31.webp

I don't know if he has done in the past but I think he doesn't have the strength or size to play center in epl. He would also need to have some actual end product to play there.
That's why he hasn't played in the center. It's a myth. He's a good player, though.

I actually think hes better when playing deeper. Carries the ball well, provides support to the four players ahead of him by running from deep. Capable of striking the ball consistently well from distance.

Also whether he is playing well or not he doesn't shy from the ball and is happy to take responsibility for it.

He can't do it in a 4-2-3-1/4-4-2, though, unless we have a numerical advantage.

He can do it in a 3-4-3 because there's security behind and as a team we're pushed up due to the wing backs. I'd say in a proper 4-3-3 he may be able to do it.

He isn't playing well enough at all at the moment. And that's not helped by other players around him - particularly Gomes as he's the one who needs to get the ball into the final third - being crap lately.

I have no issue acknowledging Gylfi has been awful as of late. What I will say is I don't think the bloke can ever win with some of our fans - and the ones on here know who they are - because if he drops deep, he'd get slated for moving from his position, and if he sticks as a 10, he gets slated for not being involved enough - where in that position it is vital other players get the ball into him.

He's in double figures in January for goals in spite of his lack of desire to get on the ball and run the game, which suggests he probably isn't the problem.
Drop him deeper alongside a powerful '8' who can pick a pass and drive (big ask I know), with someone deeper behind them shielding the defence and we'll hopefully transition from defence to attack more fluidly, and look more compact out of possession.

Winner against Cardiff when it looked like we were playing out a frustrating draw. Superb winner against Leicester. Gave us a hope against Spurs to make it 4-2, albeit short lived. Gave us some hope against Utd by grabbing one back. Got two against Fulham, including the opener in what was a frustrating game up to that point.

Understand that doesn't fit your agenda, but they're facts. Name me 4 first team players who've been better than him this season.

I look at players performances overall in games, he was gash for the majority of last season,and after a good start to this season, he’s been absolutely gash. He scored yesterday in the 91st minute, but for the other 90 mins he was absolutely terrible, should he be given credit for scoring and giving us ‘hope’

Also, no agenda, it’s my opinion, just like You’re entitled to yours (I wonder if there are certain players you like having a pop at) and when he’s deserved credit I’ve given it to him, like I do with any player.

Last edited:

Hahaha no.

I look at players performances overall in games, he was gash for the majority of last season,and after a good start to this season, he’s been absolutely gash. He scored yesterday in the 91st minute, but for the other 90 mins he was absolutely terrible, should he be given credit for scoring and giving us ‘hope’

Also, no agenda, it’s my opinion, just like You’re entitled to yours (I wonder if there are certain players you like having a pop at) and when he’s deserved credit I’ve given it to him, like I do with any player.

Don't see you butchering if other player though? Like I say, name 4 players who've played better than him this season. Why aren't you on the other players' case? Take a look through your posts in this thread - pretty clear you've got an agenda against the player, mate.

Hahaha no.

Shame on him for scoring goals. Our fanbase is absolutely toxic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back