2018/19 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s not illogical to think that if we played a formation and a system that suits the rest of the players in the team, that we’d play a quicker, more dangerous brand of football and score more goals than if we continue set up to cater to one very average slug of a player.

I’ll ask the question then - why does anyone think a Sigurdsson can’t play as a deeper lying 10? Seems to me he can and has a bit.

It’s not illogical to think that if we played a formation and a system that suits the rest of the players in the team, that we’d play a quicker, more dangerous brand of football and score more goals than if we continue set up to cater to one very average slug of a player.

Is the right answer. His worldies distract, the prime example being that 4-1 loss to Southampton.

Thats strange, Gylfi’s played a bunch in the midfield. If he’s not gonna put him deeper and keep the formation, dont play him, Silva. I like Gylfi, but the team performance is the most important.
Will be interesting to see what happens over the remaining games.

And if siggurdsson, Coleman and maybe Walcott start to find themselves on the bench and replaced by youngsters , it won’t be a good sign for them come the summer.

It’s not illogical to think that if we played a formation and a system that suits the rest of the players in the team, that we’d play a quicker, more dangerous brand of football and score more goals than if we continue to set up to cater to one very average slug of a player.
But those playing that brand would be Gana, Davies and Gomes. Even if you think that releases them from the shackles, are any of them likely to get to the levels of Sig? Even collectively?

I think you are mistaken. He said a few things about his two different versions of his 4-3-3 that depended on his 6. Used Morgan Schneiderlin as an example. This issue isn’t with Sigurdsson, it’s his lack of defensive mids. Sigurdsson could play very well in the deeper lying 10 role, no different than Tom Cleverly did for Watford.

I'm not mistaken. The article specifically mentioned reverting to a 4-2-3-1 to accommodate Sigurdsson

AGAIN, Michael Keane is fast.

But yeah, it would be nice to have more athleticism in midfield next to Gana. Siggy can play, but you can’t have too many slowpokes like him on the pitch.

Keane may win " the running fast in straight line prize ", however he has the mobility and turning circle of an ocean liner.

Forest Gump was also very good at running in straight lines too.

Make of that what you will.

Keane may win " the running fast in straight line prize ", however he has the mobility and turning circle of an ocean liner.

Forest Gump was also very good at running in straight lines too.

Make of that what you will.

Its unreal. No coincidence that soon as we play against a striker with movement and pace he looks like a pub player.

Proof that football is not like "rounders for boys" or "rugby for girls" and cannot be based off stats

Despite his goalscoring and his obvious ability it feels like we play a lot worse with Gylfi in the team. I’d like to see him play with a better forward in front of him though before writing him off.

AGAIN, Michael Keane is fast.

But yeah, it would be nice to have more athleticism in midfield next to Gana. Siggy can play, but you can’t have too many slowpokes like him on the pitch.

There’s a difference in being fast and actually using speed well in games. A lot of it is timing and anticipating runs.

Keane isn’t good enough at this and has zero recovery ability.

It’s probably Zouma’s best attribute, now he is unbelievably quick and times his moves really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back