Status
Not open for further replies.
John Stones £47m
Paul Pogba £89m
Raheem Stirling £44m
Oscar £60m
Martial £36m
Kevin De Bruyne £62.9

You could argue that non of the above went for going rate prices.
While I admire the moral point you make, it appears there are many teams being ripped off.
When Rio Ferdinand went to United for £30m in 2002 it was a record for a defender between British clubs for 13 years. He was what was needed at the time and became a mainstay in a great team. Maybe this is what we are trying to do?

If we take the moral high ground we lose out.
That is the market.

When you look at those prices, if they are some kind of marker, I guess 35-40 for Gylfi doesn't look too bad.

The Oscar one I'm not counting as that's just completely insane.

John Stones £47m
Paul Pogba £89m
Raheem Stirling £44m
Oscar £60m
Martial £36m
Kevin De Bruyne £62.9

You could argue that non of the above went for going rate prices.
While I admire the moral point you make, it appears there are many teams being ripped off.
When Rio Ferdinand went to United for £30m in 2002 it was a record for a defender between British clubs for 13 years. He was what was needed at the time and became a mainstay in a great team. Maybe this is what we are trying to do?

If we take the moral high ground we lose out.
That is the market.

There's a few big differences between those players and Sigurdsson.

For one, they joined "top" clubs who had already spent money in a similar way.

Second, they were all considered to be potentially world class in quality.

Third, they were all young.

Sigurdsson is nearing 28, hasn't cut it at the very top level, and is at a team coming off the back of a poor season. He's not comparable.

As said a few times, Swansea are entitled to ask for £50m; but that doesn't change the fact that we'd be mad to pay it.

My thoughts are that Koeman wants him.

And that we'll have no issues in backing the manager if it's a player he really wants.

I don't think he's worth anywhere near £50m, but in today's market, Swansea will believe they can hold out for at least £40m.

£40m, and the player looking to leave, should IMO be enough. If not I'd like to think we'd walk away and maybe revisit later in the window - which is may well what might happen anyway!

I imagine he'll go with Swansea to the US today, and then we'll see how this progresses in the next few weeks.

Still think this will drag on.

The way I look at it, if we sell one of McCarthy or Barkley then that kind of negates the fee for Gylfi, as Barkley cost us nothing and McCarthy was only 11m so we would make profit on him too thus adding some funds towards bringing Gylfi in.

The way I look at it, if we sell one of McCarthy or Barkley then that kind of negates the fee for Gylfi, as Barkley cost us nothing and McCarthy was only 11m so we would make profit on him too thus adding some funds towards bringing Gylfi in.

I don't think we want to sell either.

But if one or both want to leave then yeh, they'll be shown the door.

Man City bought Lescott for £24m and Santa Cruz and Adebayor for similar.

They where absolutely mental money deals.

But they did it to get noticed and to slowly match and overtake clubs around them. That is the stage we are at.

The clubs around us linked with Barkley possibly don't need him but it is in their interests to peruse a deal to try and keep us down the pecking order.

Soon we will be able to make the really huge statement signing, when City signed Aguero. But we are not quite there yet.
I don't consider Sigurdsson to be worth anywhere near £50m. Ludicrous. But, I've never really looked at it this way. If we ever get to the stage of signing anybody of the quality of Aguero and at the right age/time in their career, then yes, thats a massive statement.

Which clubs have bought players that would improve us for less money that we could realistically get? I can't think of any.
Tielemans went to Monaco for £21M
Matthias Ginter went to Gladbach for £15M

There's no other British clubs yet who've paid through the nose for players other than United, Liverpool and Arsenal....but in their case they at least get undoubted class, like Lukaku, Lacazette and Salah.

For a football team it doesn't need only world class players to be a last jigsaw that makes the team click. If the manager feels that he is the missing piece then so be it.:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back