Transfer Rumour Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tielemans went to Monaco for £21M
Matthias Ginter went to Gladbach for £15M

There's no other British clubs yet who've paid through the nose for players other than United, Liverpool and Arsenal....but in their case they at least get undoubted class, like Lukaku, Lacazette and Salah.

should have gone for Tielemans...

Never said it wasn't brother

But he is worth that to Swansea, so I get it

I think this is the problem. There is so much money in the Prem now, that even a club like Swansea (no disrespect intended) can afford not to accept £30m+ offers. Regardless of how we rate his ability in, he has been their player of the season the past two years and played a key role in keeping them in the league. If they don't think they can replace him, then why would they sell for proportionally less than they would lose if relegated. Sounds as though they have set their price and someone will have to meet it.

What would swing it, is if he himself pushes for the move, then we have a negotiating angle - not sure he is the kind of player to kick up a fuss and talk his way out of a club though - and neither should we want him to when you think of the hate Rom has had in the past for doing so.

when city are looking at 50 mil for kyle walker,i suppose gylfis valuation is the going rate!
better value abroad but its a bigger risk,siggurdson would hit the ground running.

Walker plays for the 2nd best side in English football and a rival are interested.

We're hitting up a side that flirted with relegation, that no other top club are interested in.

Transfer fees are a nonsense these days, so far removed from anything most of us can relate to that it's borderline ridiculous trying to argue or debate the rights and wrongs, as others have said, the money just keeps on going around with the only winners being agents and players.

For me Siggy's age is a concern, but we all know he's been a top target for RK for a while and it appears that Moshiri will continue to back his man, which is a good thing.

He is 27 now - 28 in September. He is approaching what is generally considered the peak age for a professional footballer, hence the potential high price. He would likely sign a 4-year deal, taking him to 32. He has come top in Swansea's pre-season fitness tests and these guys are top athletes nowadays supported by a myriad of medical sciences - 32 is no longer considered 'old' for a footballer as it once was.

What is the concern?

If you're talking more sell-on value, that is a small club mentality that we have to move on from. We should be buying for now to supplement the youth we already have coming through and don't/won't need the cash anyway.

Tielemans went to Monaco for £21M
Matthias Ginter went to Gladbach for £15M

There's no other British clubs yet who've paid through the nose for players other than United, Liverpool and Arsenal....but in their case they at least get undoubted class, like Lukaku, Lacazette and Salah.

Oh Jesus.

Only one of those players as succeeded in the PL. At present Lacazette could absolutely bomb out. And Salah, hahaha

Its just hilarious how english people tend to overrate their own players. Everyone(a lot of people at least) thinks paying 30 for a unproven goalkeeper is a good deal but paying around 40-50 for Gylfi is crazy? Mo Salah went for 42, Kyle Walker and Eric Dier are both rumoured for a 40-50 million pound a move to the two Manchesters clubs. It just looks like this is the market price for top PL players and Gylfi is a top PL player.

And the Barkley comparison..... I think most fans(and Koeman) outside this forum would agree that Gylfi is a better player. I'm not saying he's miles ahead of Barkley but at this moment Gylfi is slightly better both on domestic and international level. Barkley can't get into one of the worst England team ever while Gylfi is Iceland best man in a team who beat England last summer.

Its just hilarious how english people tend to overrate their own players. Everyone(a lot of people at least) thinks paying 30 for a unproven goalkeeper is a good deal but paying around 40-50 for Gylfi is crazy? Mo Salah went for 42, Kyle Walker and Eric Dier are both rumoured for a 40-50 million pound a move to the two Manchesters clubs. It just looks like this is the market price for top PL players and Gylfi is a top PL player.

And the Barkley comparison..... I think most fans(and Koeman) outside this forum would agree that Gylfi is a better player. I'm not saying he's miles ahead of Barkley but at this moment Gylfi is slightly better both on domestic and international level. Barkley can't get into one of the worst England team ever while Gylfi is Iceland best man in a team who beat England last summer.

Sigurdsson is not a top player. I doubt he has any profile outside the PL.
£40M-£50M is NOT the going rate unless you are a daft oligarch club.
Barkley is an infinitely more rounded and accomplished player than Sigurdsson.

And all that ^^^ is from someone who would welcome Sigurdsson here for the right price....one that now reflects that we also have Rooney who will operate in the same area.

£25M-£30M is really the topline figure for a 27 year old who's achieved nothing and with poor resale value.

Based on last season Gylfi is a top PL player. Gylfi for me Koeman and most people outside Everton fanbase is more rounded and accomplished player...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back