Transfer Rumour Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sigurdsson is not a top player. I doubt he has any profile outside the PL.
£40M-£50M is NOT the going rate unless you are a daft oligarch club.
Barkley is an infinitely more rounded and accomplished player than Sigurdsson.

And all that ^^^ is from someone who would welcome Sigurdsson here for the right price....one that now reflects that we also have Rooney who will operate in the same area.

£25M-£30M is really the topline figure for a 27 year old who's achieved nothing and with poor resale value.

Nail on the head.

We wouldn't have got him. We also probably did but his agent could have told us there was no point.
Exactly. It's easy to say "we should have been in for him" but it's obvious he's one of the biggest talents in the world and would have had his pick of the clubs, and at this stage we wouldn't have been able to compete in a sporting or financial aspect, hence him heading off to Champions League and tax-free Monaco

The problem is that Barkley won't sign the contract. If he did I'm sure our rumoured pursuit of the Icelandic maestro would end. Spurs are supposed to be interested in Adrien Silva and baulking at £26M, maybe a here-you-go Sporting we'll have him would work!

Sigurdsson is not a top player. I doubt he has any profile outside the PL.
£40M-£50M is NOT the going rate unless you are a daft oligarch club.
Barkley is an infinitely more rounded and accomplished player than Sigurdsson.

And all that ^^^ is from someone who would welcome Sigurdsson here for the right price....one that now reflects that we also have Rooney who will operate in the same area.

£25M-£30M is really the topline figure for a 27 year old who's achieved nothing and with poor resale value.
That doesn't mean that he isn't a top player , it means he has not played for a top club...yet.
Pochettino himself said that the deal to sell him at Spurs was already agreed when Pochettino took over the job there.
Is Kyle Walker worth 50m, if so Coleman must be worth 80m.
Some players are going for huge money because they are leaving high profile clubs and are considered to be very good players.
Equally, some players are so important to their club they will only sell for an enormous fee.
If Sigurdsson leaves Swansea then the risk of that club being relegated is much higher and the fee they are demanding will allow them to invest in players to try to reduce that risk.

I think the valuation of 30m is probably right, but if Lukaku makes 90m and John Stones makes 50m then the market is crazy anyway.

Ultimately , I think it may come in at about 40m, I think Barkley will go for 10m and the manager will have the player he wants for about 10m and maybe some add ons.

I'm surprised/disappointed this one is still running. It's clear Swansea don't want to sell. Who can blame them. They have season tickets to sell. He's the fans favourite. They might not have top 5 money, but they do have Sky money, they don't have to sell. And the player has shown no sign of rocking the boat.

Walsh & his team of 100 scouts have had since January to identify targets.

Its just hilarious how english people tend to overrate their own players. Everyone(a lot of people at least) thinks paying 30 for a unproven goalkeeper is a good deal but paying around 40-50 for Gylfi is crazy? Mo Salah went for 42, Kyle Walker and Eric Dier are both rumoured for a 40-50 million pound a move to the two Manchesters clubs. It just looks like this is the market price for top PL players and Gylfi is a top PL player.

And the Barkley comparison..... I think most fans(and Koeman) outside this forum would agree that Gylfi is a better player. I'm not saying he's miles ahead of Barkley but at this moment Gylfi is slightly better both on domestic and international level. Barkley can't get into one of the worst England team ever while Gylfi is Iceland best man in a team who beat England last summer.
If we get 30m-40m for Barkley I wouldn't be too fussed if Sigurdsson cost 40m-50m. As you say. It's the market.

I know Barkley is younger but if he won't sign a contract that's not really relevant to us and unlike Barkley we will get 2 or 3 years where Sigurdsson is at his peak. Not ideal and he probably wouldn't be my choice but if he is who Koeman wants and he does seem to be the main one Koeman does want then we should back the manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back