Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sigurdsson is a good player. We know this from seeing him at Swansea and Iceland. Let's see how he does first under a new manager.

He was never worth 45m but that's not his fault and when Ross goes and Wayne ages he will easily be the best option for the ACM position for the next 2 or 3 years.

the pass didn't come off????? he can't control lennon like he's on fifa, the pass hit it's target and it was a superb ball, to belittle that pass as not coming off suggests he will get no credit from yourself regardless of what he does, suggests an agenda, he was poor second half like everyone else, unfortunately for wayne, he is the one who gets blamed for others playing badly so he has no one to blame. I should hope gylfi would be the better long term option, Rooney at his age will not be the consistent force he was, but until gylfi grows a set and starts getting involved, he currently take so few touches a game it's scarcely believable for someone in that position, he will rightly come in for some criticism, and while wayne is contributing more and he is, and he also isn't hiding, I will give him more leeway.

I also notice a dig on Ross in there, so that's wayne and ross who are the targets of the vitriol here,no wonder the local lads want to jib us off
I'm sorry, this is absurd. Rooney was fine compared to the rest of the lot, he wasn't the problem. Again, it's not Rooney, it's not Gylfi, it's the clowns in front of them and around them. Frankly, we haven't even seen Gylfi play with Kev and Lennon, so if they are being more active and making runs, it's not his fault that he's not finding them.

When he came on, he never saw the ball. Why? Because we had subbed out our wide players and were trying to go straight down the middle. With two completely useless jokers at CF. Is that' Gylfi's fault?

His first touch hasn't gone anywhere. His free kick ability hasn't gone anywhere. His shot hasn't gone anywhere. He clearly needs to play. Play Rooney up top, put Gylfi in the #10, and put in some players with movement around them and they'll be decent. Would be better with a true CF. Would be better with better wide players and movement. But finding players that can make runs and move is a LOT tougher than finding a #10 that has Sigurdsson's first touch and ability to both finish and make the decisive pass.

I'm sorry, this is absurd. Rooney was fine compared to the rest of the lot, he wasn't the problem. Again, it's not Rooney, it's not Gylfi, it's the clowns in front of them and around them. Frankly, we haven't even seen Gylfi play with Kev and Lennon, so if they are being more active and making runs, it's not his fault that he's not finding them.

When he came on, he never saw the ball. Why? Because we had subbed out our wide players and were trying to go straight down the middle. With two completely useless jokers at CF. Is that' Gylfi's fault?

His first touch hasn't gone anywhere. His free kick ability hasn't gone anywhere. His shot hasn't gone anywhere. He clearly needs to play. Play Rooney up top, put Gylfi in the #10, and put in some players with movement around them and they'll be decent. Would be better with a true CF. Would be better with better wide players and movement. But finding players that can make runs and move is a LOT tougher than finding a #10 that has Sigurdsson's first touch and ability to both finish and make the decisive pass.
This reminds me of the arguments against Lukaku and Barkley.

Because they were our two best players they get the blame if things don't go well.

As you have said. It's the clowns all around them.

Sigurdsson is a good player. We know this from seeing him at Swansea and Iceland. Let's see how he does first under a new manager.

He was never worth 45m but that's not his fault and when Ross goes and Wayne ages he will easily be the best option for the ACM position for the next 2 or 3 years.
I just don't want him sitting on the bench rotting away while that happens.

So you're Wayne Rooney, you spend the first 20 minutes staying in your position, watching Williams, Jags and Keane passing between themselves and Schneiderlin. These players aren't capable of being creative or are woefully out of form.
He can create. Proven.
So he drops back, takes the ball - telling that rabble named above that they are bells whilst he's at it, and then tries to play some passes.
As an Everton fan representing Everton, I cannot believe that some of you are advocating him standing there, not taking responsibility. Like every other player on the pitch.
"He gave the ball away loads though"
Didn't he have something like an 83% pass succession rate against Leicester? Created 2 good chances, one in particular for Lennon?
It's agenda from some of you. Pure and simple. You don't want him here because you think we are better than him. Because he left us. Because he wasn't good enough for Utd.
We are in the bottom 3.
We need some perspective and reality.
Wayne Rooney is our best player.

I think you have misunderstood my post somewhat. Rooney should be the centre point of our attack, he can be, and has been one of our most creative players. However there is only so much he can be expected to do. Players train all week to be able to play balls to each other through almost muscle memory, that comes from knowing where each other are. Plenty of teams in the prem do it, it allows 1 touch football, quick sharp passing to feet. What we have is a group of players who can't take less than 3 touches. 1 to bring it down, one to get it out of their feet while they look for a player, 1 to pass it. Rooney feels he has the need to do everything, but by coming back from AM to DM or even CB, he's leaving DCL stranded and with out supply. Rooneys effectiveness has actually happened when he's been in the position he was supposed to be in, he's not been as effective in the areas he's too often finding himself in.

Our best partnership in the last 20 years was Baines and Pienaar, that relationship was built almost entirely on positional awareness and trust. If either one wasn't disciplined in their role, it wouldn't have been half as successful.

IMO

So you're Wayne Rooney, you spend the first 20 minutes staying in your position, watching Williams, Jags and Keane passing between themselves and Schneiderlin. These players aren't capable of being creative or are woefully out of form.
He can create. Proven.
So he drops back, takes the ball - telling that rabble named above that they are bells whilst he's at it, and then tries to play some passes.
As an Everton fan representing Everton, I cannot believe that some of you are advocating him standing there, not taking responsibility. Like every other player on the pitch.
"He gave the ball away loads though"
Didn't he have something like an 83% pass succession rate against Leicester? Created 2 good chances, one in particular for Lennon?
It's agenda from some of you. Pure and simple. You don't want him here because you think we are better than him. Because he left us. Because he wasn't good enough for Utd.
We are in the bottom 3.
We need some perspective and reality.
Wayne Rooney is our best player.
"when Rooney ages"?

If he ages more he's going to turn to dust.

Maybe, in that case what role is there for him?

There isn't one. I think Rooney is obsolete right now. I was wrong about him, I knew he was finished the last few years at Man U, but might be able to find something at Everton and he was only 31. But that isn't the case. You have guys like Silva, Coutinho, Ozil, Sanchez, Hazard, Eriksen running the show in the top 6 teams, and then you have Rooney.

Sig is also miles off. I'm going to say Klaasen has shown more in the first few games than Sig has.

There isn't one. I think Rooney is obsolete right now. I was wrong about him, I knew he was finished the last few years at Man U, but might be able to find something at Everton and he was only 31. But that isn't the case. You have guys like Silva, Coutinho, Ozil, Sanchez, Hazard, Eriksen running the show in the top 6 teams, and then you have Rooney.

Sig is also miles off. I'm going to say Klaasen has shown more in the first few games than Sig has.

It is funny how people overlook this because he throws in the odd moment of brilliance. I can only assume Koeman hadn't watched Rooney play for a couple of years before deciding to bring him back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back