Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
hes been arguably our best player during this season of utter cow pats!!!

a slight beacon of light if you will
The fact that it is only "arguable" is a big problem. He's not "arguably" our record signing, he is it and he should be our best player for the money we put out for him.

Not that being the best of this bad bunch is any great feat at the moment.

You call him a beacon of light for this season and I say he's part of the cause of it being so crap.

The fact that it is only "arguable" is a big problem. He's not "arguably" our record signing, he is it and he should be our best player for the money we put out for him.

Not that being the best of this bad bunch is any great feat at the moment.

You call him a beacon of light for this season and I say he's part of the cause of it being so crap.

He doesn't look out of place with them though does he?

You could go through this thread and see it for yourself. He scores a goal and people say "well maybe if we get everyone around him it will all click and we won't be gash" and the next week he doesn't score and everyone remembers that we spunked 45 mil on a midfielder with no pace, ability to beat a man, or knit the play together. The cycle is in full effect now with the added bonus of scoring against the [Poor language removed].

The match is 90 minutes long and his running around tracking back hoping for an opportunity to hit a long shot every week is a big part of why we're useless creating anything on the ball.

As much as I hate him right now I'd still rather watch Barkley every week than him because at least he made you want to watch the footy.

We've had how many shots the last few weeks??? Sigurdsson owns that as much as the rest of the team and it isn't good enough from someone who cost what he did and scoring a goal against the [Poor language removed] isn't going to have me ignore it.

He's clearly not the type of player who will beat 3 men and score. He can't do that but when he's surrounded by other good players he will flourish. Get this team playing well and he'll be an excellent asset. That ability in the final third of the pitch will be what wins us games against teams who park the bus should we ever dare to sort ourselves out over the coming months.

Could the £45m have been better spent? Absolutely, but if we're playing that game we can say the same about Bolasie, Keane, Klaassen all of whom he has been better than.

His form over the past 11 games, you know, after he settled in at his brand new club with new teamates, would have him on pace to score 14 goals and have 7 assists. Mostly from the LW where he has to cover for Martina. While we have had little offensive threat. That doesnt even count the great set pieces we havent finished.

Id say thats pretty good. I think someone is letting bias from the first 10 games influence their judgements on his current form. Hes had most of our better touches for the past 3-4 games, but until he doesnt have to cover for Martina and we have a real striker he can play with Id say its very unfair to criticize our 2nd most in-form player.

He's clearly not the type of player who will beat 3 men and score. He can't do that but when he's surrounded by other good players he will flourish. Get this team playing well and he'll be an excellent asset. That ability in the final third of the pitch will be what wins us games against teams who park the bus should we ever dare to sort ourselves out over the coming months.

Could the £45m have been better spent? Absolutely, but if we're playing that game we can say the same about Bolasie, Keane, Klaassen all of whom he has been better than.
He's not the type of player to beat one man and score. I could count on one hand the number of times I've seen him beat a player this season.

"Surrounded by other good players", mate he doesn't look a cut above most of them when he doesn't get on the score sheet. What happens if the good players come in and he is still not doing anything besides the odd long shot? Let's not talk about what he might do, let's talk about what he has done in a blue shirt so far.

When you say "that ability in the final third of the pitch" do you mean taking long shots, free kicks and corners? Because I haven't seen him do much else in there.

Face it lads he is a limited footballer that we're hamstrung into building the team around now whether he is good enough or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back