Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
His form over the past 11 games, you know, after he settled in at his brand new club with new teamates, would have him on pace to score 14 goals and have 7 assists. Mostly from the LW where he has to cover for Martina. While we have had little offensive threat. That doesnt even count the great set pieces we havent finished.

Id say thats pretty good. I think someone is letting bias from the first 10 games influence their judgements on his current form. Hes had most of our better touches for the past 3-4 games, but until he doesnt have to cover for Martina and we have a real striker he can play with Id say its very unfair to criticize our 2nd most in-form player.
What would the club's form be if you stretched the last 11 matches out over the season mate?

I will openly admit to currently fuming with everything at our club at the moment and so he might be taking the brunt of it but I can't be arsed seeing people faffing over him scoring against the RS when we've been so poor this season and this fella being signed and played is a big reason for it imo.

Knowing that we're effectively sentenced to building a long ball target man team because it is the only way we can see the best out of him depresses the life out of me.

He's not the type of player to beat one man and score. I could count on one hand the number of times I've seen him beat a player this season.

"Surrounded by other good players", mate he doesn't look a cut above most of them when he doesn't get on the score sheet. What happens if the good players come in and he is still not doing anything besides the odd long shot? Let's not talk about what he might do, let's talk about what he has done in a blue shirt so far.

When you say "that ability in the final third of the pitch" do you mean taking long shots, free kicks and corners? Because I haven't seen him do much else in there.

Face it lads he is a limited footballer that we're hamstrung into building the team around now whether he is good enough or not.

His ability to score goals, cross the ball and the general intelligence in his game.

He hasn't shown his best form, far from it. There are a lot of circumstances behind that and hopefully in the second half of the season we'll see a big improvement. Out of all of our signings I'm backing him to come good though.

His ability to score goals, cross the ball and the general intelligence in his game.

He hasn't shown his best form, far from it. There are a lot of circumstances behind that and hopefully in the second half of the season we'll see a big improvement. Out of all of our signings I'm backing him to come good though.

If that were true he'd be more effective out wide.

Pienaar had zero pace and couldn't shoot yet was 100% more intelligent

If that were true he'd be more effective out wide.

Pienaar had zero pace and couldn't shoot yet was 100% more intelligent

Pienaar arrived into a decent team which was pretty settled. He also had one of the best full backs in the league supporting him. Circumstances hey.

Pienaar arrived into a decent team which was pretty settled. He also had one of the best full backs in the league supporting him. Circumstances hey.

Point being was that it was still a defence minded side and he had to graft and track back.

But he used the ball intelligently and was great in a wide position because of it. He also was a key to linking our attacks.

Sigurdsson isn't being hindered by Martina, it's more that he's not very good in that position.

Point being was that it was still a defence minded side and he had to graft and track back.

But he used the ball intelligently and was great in a wide position because of it. He also was a key to linking our attacks

He had far better players around him though. We had a centre forward worthy of the name for one. Convinced if Sigurdsson was placed into that side we'd have seen far better performances by now.

What does the clubs form have to do with Siggurdsons form? Thats absurd.
Exactly. Should he not be making the team play better when he is on form? We're crap at the moment and I think that he's a player who is great at making himself stand out but doesn't bring the best out of his teammates and we play worse as a collective despite him being in good form or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back