Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
He did this against WH and we battered them. It's sequential though. We need the defence to be playing well, which they now are. We need Rooney deeper starting attacks. We need Gylfi coming in off the left and receiving the ball centrally between the oppositions defence and midfield. We need a striker who's movement creates the space.
Take one of the above out and the whole thing fails because Sig is an Ozil and not a Sanchez in terms of his type of involvement in the game.

Don't agree with the Ozil thing (Ozil is far more active in open play) and the WH game was all down to Rooney pulling the team out. When he doesn't play well we don't play well.

Again it goes back to the point of needing another 3 players around him to make him function. Even then I don't see him being the missing link. But that's me.

I disagree, I think Rooney is being played there because he's better at passing the ball around.

He is, but to be effective Rooney needs the game in front of him. hence, against the weaker sides/at home, that's where i'd like to see him, with either Gueye or Macca next to him to do his running

I'd be as willing to slate Rooney as anyone when he deserves it but he's had a good season and offers a lot more during 90% of the match than Sigurdsson does. He's playing in the middle over Sigurdsson on merit and for tactical reasons.

tactically, Rooney slows the game down too much when playing as a 10 in a 4-2-3-1, though

Give Siggy those penalties as he’s by far a better taker.

If Siggy had them their goals record wouldn’t compare

Well, Rooney has 7 from open play so far. Sigurdsson would have 6 including 3 penalties and promote the fact he's a set piece merchant.

I'd be as willing to slate Rooney as anyone when he deserves it but he's had a good season and offers a lot more during 90% of the match than Sigurdsson does. He's playing in the middle over Sigurdsson on merit and for tactical reasons.

He has not had a good season. He has played well in patches. I would struggle to name more then 3 matches where he has put in a 90 minute performance. Although this statement could easily apply to nearly all our outfield players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back